Sign in to follow this  

300rr 2st or 400rr 4st-- PLEASE give advice to help me decide which!

I live in Wales UK.

Wet, 60% dry 40%,  forests , Hills, mountains, great enduro events

48yrs young.

had 400ktm 2000my

had Husky 449 2011my

had Husky 310 2012my

had Gas Gas 3002st 12my

Thinking of going back to 400 4st or going 300rr 2st.

please advise on ownership +/- points.

all advice welcome

If had to pick between the 2 I'd go 300. What would make me  go 400 is that you can get it street legal.. then I'd go 400  but unless you get some special deal I'd get the 498..or the 520RS. The big bores are EASY to ride   It's cheating.. unless you have to get off the bike and carry ..but really what a great choice to choose from. Both are awesome bikes. I'm currently floating above ground in love with the 300rr but know that I've not ridden the newest 498 which I know I'd like alot too. .but I'd pick 2 stroke 300 if I had to make a choice. I don't have to make a choice so I got one of each.. a 300rr and a 525 09 Beta RS. . I guess the next bike I'd get is the newest generation Beta 520/498 when I upgrade again.. I'm super happy where I  am now though. I  have absolutely no desire to have any other bikes..I've never had this feeling in the 40 sumthin years of riding. To me why get a 350,400,450 Beta 4t when you can get a 498/520? It's the same weight.. The big bores lug all over and have lots of power..and super easy to ride. They also work at least as good in tight and hard trails and in the open stuff you can open that puppy up. I'm 54 and a vet rider racer.. rode since I was little and ride offroad enduro more tight stuff these days. .My goal these days are to go as fast as I can and not fall. I don't succeed a lot of times but waaayy better than before. 

To my thinking these are the 2 to choose from..

• Like 1

I live in Wales UK.

48yrs young.

had 400ktm 2000my

had Husky 449 2011my

had Husky 310 2012my

had Gas Gas 3002st 12my

all advice welcome

This kind of stuff?... I'd sway 300 but really it's just if you like 2 or 4 stroke and if picking up the heavier 4 stroke is worth it.. I still like riding my big bore 4t Beta.. sometimes..but when yur really tired all the weight savings is worth it so 2 stroke. A 4 stroke is nice in the mud too sometimes.. Still just comes down to you rolling the dice.

I have only just started riding my 300RR but I have to say, for me, it is the best tool for tight, technical rides. It is so light and easy to handle. My other bike is a Husaberg FE 390 - no slouch for sure.

• Like 1

I live in Wales UK.

48yrs young.

had 400ktm 2000my

had Husky 449 2011my

had Husky 310 2012my

had Gas Gas 3002st 12my

all advice welcome

You most likely already have the answer even if you do do presently see it. 

As you, in owning a 2012 GasGas (great bike), and already owning a 310 Husky (nimble/nice 4 stroke) you know which bike worked the best for your area. 2-smoke or a diesel. I will not even compare the older 449 or the ktm 400 to the new Beta's, that would be an insult. 

The Beta 250 or 300 smokers are incredible bikes for woods and technical areas, and the diesels have their place also, but many feel that the 4 stokes work better in slightly wider more open terrain, steeper wider trails. 

Some prefer the way a 4-stroke puts its power down to the ground compared to a 2-stroke, and it can be a benefit in certain applications. 

But I guess it would depend on you and your terrain, your size and level of strength as the the 4-stoke will weigh more, and can wear you out more in certain situations.  

If you want one of the best 2 strokes in the market today, hands down you picked the the right brand.

If you are leaning towards a 4 stroke enduro, it would be hard to beat the 400/450/498, but if you are a "B" or "A" rider and wanted a 4 stroke, I would be leaning towards a 450/498 machines. 

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Hi pal,

Iv just had the same dilemma.

I went for a 350 4T over the 2T's simply because I fancied a change.

Going to get my first couple of days riding in this weekend and see how it compares to my previous 300 2T and 200 2T KTM's.

Iv been a die hard 2T fan but I think our H&H "enduro's" are now much more like a 2 hour cross test so I think the 4T is going to be more suited to it. And the Beta frames's are no slouch at clearing the odd log or rock garden with their trials background coming through. I rode mine on the enduro cross track at Preston docks back to back with my KTM 200 2T and to be honest, the beta was night and day easier to ride for me.

Its up to you ultimately but to be honest I don't think you can go wrong with either option.

Andy

• Like 2

I've had 3 good rides on my 2014 race edition, and while I like it more and more each time I ride it, I'm still missing that 4 stroke power. But if I was looking at a little 350 to 400 4 stroke I would without out a doubt choose the 300. This 300 2 stroke can lug down low without stalling like no other machine I've ever ridden, this you won't get with any of the 4 strokes. Most of what I have rode so far has been fairly open desert riding and in these areas I would much prefer the big 498 or 450 type (yz450f's or kx450f). I can't wait to get it up in some tight mountain type riding, I think it will feel right at home there and do extremely well, specially if it's wet.

• Like 1

I live in Wales UK.

48yrs young.

had 400ktm 2000my

had Husky 449 2011my

had Husky 310 2012my

had Gas Gas 3002st 12my

all advice welcome

If you are going to use this bike to race then a 2T is a must otherwise there are much better 4t brands out there to race with,,, unless you race wide open desert. If your looking at trail riding, aggressive or not either will work. If you are looking at using the bike on the road then 4t is much better. If you want a bike that is more like your Husky 310 get a 2t. There's little more bottom end on the 400 but overall lighter feel, more agile and better tight righting on a 350. You're already convince on the brand, now pick the model based on what type of riding you will do the most.

Edited by weantright

Two stroke for everything under 15 mph average. Four stroke for everything up. Displacement goes up as average speed goes up. Thats my rule of thumb anyhow.

• Like 3

Luckily I have ridden the 300rr and the 350 rr

300rr very  light steering and a bit unnerving , good power but sharp

350 planted and good power smooth

I weigh 245ilbs 6ft

still undecided!!!

keep the comments coming I'll get there in the end

I loved my 2012 Beta 450RR! I can't compare it to the Beta 300RR but I did own a 2012 KTM 300 XC-W. You need both! I dual sported the Beta and rode it to and from the trails. A very flexible motorcycle. The only real two issues were having to check the valves every 50 Hrs and it was heavy (270lbs w/full tank).

So my answer:

If you want to just ride but still have a capable motorcyle buy a 450RR.

If you want to play Grahm Jarvis buy a 300 RR.

• Like 1

Both bikes are great and you will be happy with either.  I have a 2013 300rr racing which I purchased about a year ago.  The first race i did was a 120 mile enduro in Idaho City the Boise Ridge Riders put on.  it is a great event and I was glad I rode the 300.  I rode the same race the previous year on a KTM 450 which is a great bike, but by the end of the race I was spent.  The 300 is better for racing and I ride it a lot like a 4t with short shifting and lugging to motor and it just keeps pulling.  I have a 2011 Beta 450 RS which I just purchased for a dual sport bike and is is smooth, easy to ride and fun, but my 300 is the bike of choice when I want to ride hard.

Luckily I have ridden the 300rr and the 350 rr

300rr very  light steering and a bit unnerving , good power but sharp

350 planted and good power smooth

I weigh 245ilbs 6ft

still undecided!!!

keep the comments coming I'll get there in the end

I ride a bunch of deep woods trails, a lot of first and second gear stuff, but many open into fire roads which is fun as I love to throw it sideways and do my old short-track stuff.

I do take on some rutty dirt roads that trucks travel as well, so the trade off for me was the 450. I came from many 2-smokes and 450-550 dual sports (pumped to the max) in the garage over the years, yet each one I used to enter amateur enduro's out here. So after too many years suffering with bikes that were no quite my liking, I researched and found the Beta.

I was all set on buying the 400, but my dealer (who owns and rides both a 400 and a 300 Beta) asked if I really like lofting the front wheel, which I do. So then I decided to go big (again) and  was going to order the 520, but reality set in, as still wanting to keep the displacement low so I would not get worn out after a days ride, I settled for the 450 with a Rekluse.

Honestly the 400 would serve my needs for 95% of my riding, yet the 450 aids in having that extra punch to loft the front any time I want, yet still affords me the ability to ride the tightest "deer" trails without wearing me out, and still allows me to take on going to the desert a few times a year.

I can't say enough good things about the way the 4-stroke Beta's handle, planted, yet light, stable yet willing to change direction incredibly well.  

Bottom line, they ain't a 2-smoke which I miss, yet the versatility the Beta diesel works, for me. And if I ever win the lotto there will be a new 250 race in my garage!!

disclaimer:  I'm a rocky technical single track technical trail rider...NOT RACER.

after years of being on KTM'S both 2 stroke and 4, I LOVE MY 300RR RACE!

seat height fits me perfect, linkage feels great, power is as smooth as a thumper and snaps to life when asked.  I do have a rekluse and suspension revalved by WER.

friends say I'm riding better than I have been in years and that may be true, but the real truth is i'm just having more fun on this bike.

Edited by WoodsRacerDotCom
  • Like 1

I went from a 450 to a 300rr and one thing I noticed is that the tractor-like power of the 450 always got me out of trouble on gnarly technical climbs. The 300rr on the other hand is so nimble and has such great power delivery that I rarely get in to trouble I didn't ask for.

I can't say if one is better than the other or if it has made me a better rider, but I can tell you that I'm having way more fun on the 300 than I ever did on the 450. As a trail rider and not a competitive racer, it's exactly what I wanted, more fun.

Good luck and lost pics when you land one.

Edited by mslow

Why deal with 4stroke weight, heat, flame outs, and extra maintanence when the 300 has more low end than you will ever need and is almost impossible to stall. I trail ride and race and this bike does it all. Its the most versitile performer I've had yet.