Sign in to follow this  

1989 XT350.

I'm looking to buy a very clean 1989 yamaha xt350.bike has 2200 miles, runs great, shifts great and looks clean.

Its a friends if mine, he wants 1500, is that a good price?

Has new tires, chain an sprockets brakes and bike looks good.

It's street legal with all signals, horn, lights working.

Title in hand(obviously)

I'm looking to buy a very clean 1989 yamaha xt350.bike has 2200 miles, runs great, shifts great and looks clean.

Its a friends if mine, he wants 1500, is that a good price?

Has new tires, chain an sprockets brakes and bike looks good.

It's street legal with all signals, horn, lights working.

Title in hand(obviously)

Bikes got a cobra pipe on it also

Here are NADA values :

1989 Yamaha XT350W Excellent $1,220   Very Good $975   Good $795   Fair $650                    

Here are NADA values :

1989 Yamaha XT350W Excellent $1,220 Very Good $975 Good $795 Fair $650

ok.

I looked up k&n Craigslist and found 2 one was a beat up 93 for 1800, other was a clean 86 for 2200.

Are the XT's good bikes?

Overall , Yes . XTs are good bikes . Like any other , they have thier quirks , but , that's what makes them what they are .

I like mine , as does just about everyone that sees it ( even if they don't ride ) .

Anyway , Yamaha didn't / doesn't sell XTs for decades because they are a crap shoot .

Sounds like you'll be into a decent machine .

Overall , Yes . XTs are good bikes . Like any other , they have thier quirks , but , that's what makes them what they are .

I like mine , as does just about everyone that sees it ( even if they don't ride ) .

Anyway , Yamaha didn't / doesn't sell XTs for decades because they are a crap shoot .

Sounds like you'll be into a decent machine .

Well ima be turning 16 soon so it will be what I ride, when I'm not driving my truck.

I thought about something newer and bigger but the prices only go up an up.

Do regular maintenance and that bike will last until your wife says you have other obligations . Then you can tuck it in the shed for 20 or 30 years , dig it out and rebuild it , so you can ride it again - for the rest of your  rideable life . ;)

Edited by pd350
  • Like 2

Do regular maintenance and that bike will last until your wife says you have other obligations . Then you can tuck it in the shed for 20 or 30 years , dig it out and rebuild it , so you can ride it again - for the rest of your rideable life . ;)

I think I'm gonna buy it!

That sounds like a good deal to me . I really like my xt350 . In my opinion it's the perfect size dual purpose bike to have, not too big and not too small .

• Like 1

That sounds like a good deal to me . I really like my xt350 . In my opinion it's the perfect size dual purpose bike to have, not too big and not too small .

Yea I've ridden it a few times.

Cruises around at 60-65 no problem.

Never tried to top it off!

$1500 is going rate for it. Not such a good friend after all.Its not worth any more with the new stuff, but its worth a lot less if it needed them. Does the bike still have the fake air shrouds mounted under the tank?

Edited by ickfinger

$1500 is going rate for it. Not such a good friend after all.Its not worth any more with the new stuff, but its worth a lot less if it needed them. Does the bike still have the fake air shrouds mounted under the tank?

Still has the fake shrouds

And I'm not possitive wether I'm buying or not. But he's along 2000 from any one else.

Fake shrouds ?

They are not fake . They definitely serve a cooling purpose . If you take the time to look , you'll see that those scoops dump their air directly into the center of the head , where the spark plug is located .

Anyone running without the scoops will , without a doubt , have a hotter running motor . And , we all know what too much heat does to motors .

These motors run hot even with the scoops installed . I can only imagine what the temps reach without them .

I guess I should have stated "fake rad shrouds". But I tend to see more bikes without them than with them. Im pretty sure there were not louvers on the "shrouds" put on cr/yz big bores of the 80's

I guess I should have stated "fake rad shrouds". But I tend to see more bikes without them than with them. Im pretty sure there were not louvers on the "shrouds" put on cr/yz big bores of the 80's

The scoops are NOT fake anything .

Makes no difference what other makes or models had or didn't have .  Yamaha put those scoops on 15 years worth of XT350s because they thought the scoops would help lengthen the life of the motor . That's what Yamaha is know for > dependability .

The scoops are NOT fake anything .

Makes no difference what other makes or models had or didn't have .  Yamaha put those scoops on 15 years worth of XT350s because they thought the scoops would help lengthen the life of the motor . That's what Yamaha is know for > dependability .

"Lighten up Francis", Call em whatever you want. But the guy behind the parts counter new what i was talking about when I had to order them, and the first generation XT's didnt have them. They became stylish and acceptable due to MOST off-road bikes having rad shrouds in the 80"s. And have you seen how many XT's are running big tanks and NOT complaining about overheating? Gsheesh let someone have an opinion!

I recently bought an 89' xt350 and love it. A little maintainence is involved,but non the less love it!

It did not have the shrouds but i bought them from ebay for 20 bucks a piece. Now if i could only find side covers?

Sorry but PD350 is right

Again, opinion. Just like me. Welcome to America. A shroud that directs air toward the head for cooling purposes only, would be mounted directly to the motor. When you stuff it up tight against the tank in a water cooled era, Its 50% style, 50% function. You could say the shrouds on a late model xr/crf are for directing air too, when clearly they are there to help keep the bike current looking. I'm not knocking XT's, but if you can't agree they serve 2 purposes (with their faux grille like a water cooled bike) your'e just being stubborn. The grille actually DECREASES airflow (even if by a miniscule amount)! I'm not denying they direct air, but they serve style points too. Edited by ickfinger

That grill also prevents air born rocks and other objects from being directed at the top of your engine and I have run without the shroud on it gets significantly hotter and I found it was missing a bit as well not sure if that was just the spark plug getting to hot or it may have been a fluke for that one run but that is unlikely