Sign in to follow this  

02 RM250 "Freshening Up"

Its time for me to clean up my bike a bit. I plan on powder coating the frame, replacing bearings, bushings, and replacing what I can afford. In addition to the "bling", I'll also be rebuilding the suspension, fixing the dent in my pipe, and hopefully purchasing new reeds. The motor has a brand new Wiseco piston and the top end looks good but I have never cracked the cases on this, or any bike before. Runs fine.

Anyways, I have a couple questions for the experienced on cleaning this bike up. First, how can I get rid of that gross rusty dirt buildup? It is easily seen on the bottom of the case. Second, is there a trick to breaking tight bolts? Cant get anything loose on the linkage. Heat?

65c998c3-d042-4765-a0be-4d9ce32da93e.jpgd69d1a03-64e4-432a-94e9-d907e3a759c8.jpgIMG_0305.jpg

Lastly, did Suzuki weld their frames like this or is a previous owner trying to cover something up? Assuming it is stock by the way its painted over.

IMG_0308edited.jpg

Edited by Wiski

A soda blaster would be best but scotch bright/toothbrush would clean it. Put some lubricant on the threads of linkage bolts

• Like 1

A soda blaster would be best but scotch bright/toothbrush would clean it. Put some lubricant on the threads of linkage bolts

I'll pickup scotch bright and a toothbrush tonight. Got the bolts off with a torque gun and patience. Replacing springs and I'm getting the frame powder coated gloss black Wednesday.

I removed the bottom end of the rear shock to swap the springs. I didn't realize there was pressurized shock oil on the other end :facepalm:  What a mess that made!

1892b467-3a56-4a04-baed-74bb72c06ae3.jpg

I thought about powder coating the frame too instead I bought a cheap gun did a couple of covers and did a little freshening up my self  this is my 02 250 25edf804-d778-45a8-a70d-b4f084154ce6_zps

I thought about powder coating the frame too instead I bought a cheap gun did a couple of covers and did a little freshening up my self this is my 02 250

Beautiful RM. Makes me so eager to get mine back together.

A soda blaster would be best but scotch bright/toothbrush would clean it. Put some lubricant on the threads of linkage bolts

I built a homemade soda blaster and had some fun cleaning the carb. After taking the picture, I took it apart again and blasted it for a second run. Missed some dirt.

9509b1e6-89a3-4703-a1b2-9ab781d037da.jpg

Has anyone soda blasted the whole case before? I imagine I'll need a makeshift plug for the coolent holes and something to block the

driveshaft.

Otherwise I'll just scrub it.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399245424.772082.jpg

Edited by Wiski