Sign in to follow this  

Aftermarket shift levers

The grip on the stock shift lever is warn down so much that I am missing shifts. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good aftermarket shift lever? Do they make extended levers? I have big feet so I think a larger lever would help.

Bike: 05' yz250

Thanks!

Yes, HammerHead is nice. I ordered one a weak ago, but it's on back order till sometime this week.

I'll tell you how it goes.

HammerHead shift lever works great on my 450R. 

I also have HammerHead shift levers on my wife's CRF230F and 100F.

Good luck.

0220141739.jpg

0220141739a.jpg

0219141324.jpg

• Like 1

HammerHead shift lever works great on my 450R. 

I also have HammerHead shift levers on my wife's CRF230F and 100F.

Good luck.

Hammerhead seems like the call. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but are they longer than the OEM's?

They make them in different offsets depending on your boot size.

I don't recommend buying their master cylinder caps as they do not have a good fit and I'm surprised they don't leak.

Andrew,

The HammerHead shift lever is about the same overall length, but they have a different shape/curve that works well with mx boots. The flexible/spring loaded tip is also slightly larger, and easy reach/shift.

I like the HammerHead lever much better than the OEM shift lever. I was having trouble getting my boots under the tip with the OEM lever. The HH shift lever simply feels better, and seems like a natural fit for me personally.

Let us know what you decide.

Good luck.

• Like 2

I would look into HammerHead. They have all sorts of offsets from a few MM to 20mm I believe. They are pricey but more custom to you.

Hammerhead the new boots i ordered were big at the toe and couldn't even shift my bike unless i was sitting on the tank. Ordered a hammerhead +.20 shifter and oversized brake pedal . Not cheap made either they will take a beating 

Get whatever floats your boat.  I usually go for the MSR units because they run about $25.  The OEM units are $75 and that just ain't worth it.  I have seen the steel shifters break shift shafts and that will leave you stranded so I do not recommend those.

Edited by 1987CR250R

Andrew,

The HammerHead shift lever is about the same overall length, but they have a different shape/curve that works well with mx boots. The flexible/spring loaded tip is also slightly larger, and easy reach/shift.

I like the HammerHead lever much better than the OEM shift lever. I was having trouble getting my boots under the tip with the OEM lever. The HH shift lever simply feels better, and seems like a natural fit for me personally.

Let us know what you decide.

Good luck.

Lots of great input here. I think I'm sold on the HH. I'll get back and report here when I get it. (May be a week or two for financial reasons).

I had a hammerhead shifter and hit a rock and it bent my shift shaft instead of the shifter bending or breaking.. This was on a motocross track so it isn't like i was trail riding and hit a huge boulder. Maybe it would have happened with an oem one too, but I don't know. I know it wasn't fun removing the bent shaft because it slides out through the clutch side and even after sawing it off at the case it still took a lot of work. I did like my +10 shifter tip though, but that could be what did me in as well. This was the CNC one so maybe the forged would be different???

John-k,

That's good to know.. no doubt a job I don't want to do.

I've slid-out a couple of times trying to rail tight corners, but no damage to the shift lever yet. I really like the HH shift lever over the OEM, much improved overall feel and easier to shift with boots. 

JL

• Like 1

I have a +20 mm hammer head which I never installed because of a lack of clearance between the frame and the pinch bolt.

+20 mm looks to be the same lenght as stock (which I can only get my size 10 Tech 8 under if i run it up one notch). 15T countershaft sprocket and lifting the shift lever one notch = bad chain grooves in the top of the shifter.

Edited by Swappa