Sign in to follow this  

2007 CRF150R Needs work

Just picked up a 2007 CRF150R and it has some issues:

Brakes: needs front and rear pads.  Any recommendations?  How do you tell if the rotors need replace?  Kids bike with about 70% trail time and the rest Track

Carb:  Idles really high and bogs from the start.  Not sure what does what, but there is screw that goes to into what looks like a hose on the left side and then some other red knob below.  Carb is supposed to stock jetting.  I've looked at other posts, so it might need a cleaning?  Seems to run ok after the initial stumble.  Has FMF Powercore muffler, stock header

I'm going to set it up for trail with a flywheel weight, kick stand and motor/rad guards.  Any preference on brand?  Like/dislikes?  Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Pete

Just picked up a 2007 CRF150R and it has some issues:

Brakes: needs front and rear pads.  Any recommendations?  How do you tell if the rotors need replace?  Kids bike with about 70% trail time and the rest Track

Carb:  Idles really high and bogs from the start.  Not sure what does what, but there is screw that goes to into what looks like a hose on the left side and then some other red knob below.  Carb is supposed to stock jetting.  I've looked at other posts, so it might need a cleaning?  Seems to run ok after the initial stumble.  Has FMF Powercore muffler, stock header

I'm going to set it up for trail with a flywheel weight, kick stand and motor/rad guards.  Any preference on brand?  Like/dislikes?  Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Pete

Pete,

Buy or borrow a shop manual. It'll make your life a lot easier.

Carb: it sounds like that screw-in-a-hose thingy is a remote pilot screw. The screw below it is the idle speed screw.

Since you have a 2007, you might want to look at this thread:

http://www.thumperta...arbidle-issues/

The 2008-9 needle (NMQS) seems to help the pilot settings. Also, the 2008-9 jetting went a step leaner on the pilot and a step richer on the main (40->38 & 135->138).

Another thread that might help is this one:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1058469-making-150r-the-best-it-can-be-for-the-trails/#!GhZmK

Shop manual is must I see.  Confused with pilots, screws, mains, etc.  Normally pretty mechanically inclined with cars and such.  I have a 250x that I ride.  Going to do the ap mod on both when I get the rest figured out.  Pictures are the best thing for me.  I'll goggle some up then I can follow all these threads.

Rotor has a thickness to measure to determine when replacing, see service manual. Quick look if there's an edge where the pad rides more than .045-.060" deep. replace rotor with a solid one. Otherwise you need to file a chamfer on the slotted edges for longer life.

Only pads that lasted with my son.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1883/-/855/EBC-Brake-Pad-Sintered-Metal?v=5807

I ordered a JD jet kit, EBC brakes and some other goodies.  Should take care of my issues I hope.

Thanks for the help

Pete

So I've installed the flywheel weight, new brakes and a JD jet kit

Can't get the bike to idle.  It hangs high and then goes low. Can't even get a base line to start with.  Doesn't start real great hot or cold.  I've checked the valves and they are ok.

Squirt is ok too.  Put the JD jet  kit in as recommended per their instructions.  42 pilot, 140 main, red needle on 5th groove from the top, used the lighter ring for the ap mod.  Fuel screw has been run from 1 to 2.5 turns out.  About 1.5 seemed to be best, but still hanging idle and real bog from off idle  More turns and it was real bad, plus exhaust smelled like fuel

I've searched the forum and I should be close per the other posts.  Run great on the mid to top end.

Where do I go from here?  I ride between 1200-4500 feet in elevation.

When I first took the carb off, I removed the TPS sensor from the carb, maybe I messed something up there.  I lined it back up with the marks

Also the fuel screw only has 1 o-ring by the float bowl.  This is an unknown aftermarket screw.  There is no o ring at the end of the spring, as per the stock picture and some aftermarket screws.  Do  I need another o ring?

Thanks

Pete

So I've installed the flywheel weight, new brakes and a JD jet kit

Can't get the bike to idle. It hangs high and then goes low. Can't even get a base line to start with. Doesn't start real great hot or cold. I've checked the valves and they are ok.

Squirt is ok too. Put the JD jet kit in as recommended per their instructions. 42 pilot, 140 main, red needle on 5th groove from the top, used the lighter ring for the ap mod. Fuel screw has been run from 1 to 2.5 turns out. About 1.5 seemed to be best, but still hanging idle and real bog from off idle More turns and it was real bad, plus exhaust smelled like fuel

I've searched the forum and I should be close per the other posts. Run great on the mid to top end.

Where do I go from here? I ride between 1200-4500 feet in elevation.

When I first took the carb off, I removed the TPS sensor from the carb, maybe I messed something up there. I lined it back up with the marks

Also the fuel screw only has 1 o-ring by the float bowl. This is an unknown aftermarket screw. There is no o ring at the end of the spring, as per the stock picture and some aftermarket screws. Do I need another o ring?

Thanks.

Pete

I installed a JD jet kit on mybike. It helped some, but not enough. I then shimmed the values which made a world of difference for only 4 dollars. Not sure if this is helpful, just putting it out there.

I went back and watched some how to's on valve checking and checked mine again.  Intakes were way off, so new shims will go  in toddy.  Should solve the issues I hope.

Thanks

Pete