Sign in to follow this  

Tips for beginner?

I just bought a 2007 Crf250r for my first bike (I know its a lot of power for a beginner but I will learn on it). Are there any tips you guys can give me for loose sand, mud, and tight trail riding? I don't do to well in sand and mud, my tires are all over the place and I don't want to nail it and high side. Tips on how to ride in it, where to sit (or stand) would be greatly appreciated!

In sand slow is not easy especially for beginners ur gonna fall alot at first dont get discouraged, the faster u ride the smoother it is, if ur rear end starts to cha cha or swap back and forth grab a hand full of throttle and it will straighten out, try not to break in that situation cause it only makes it faster and it wont end to well, mud is prob one of the hardest its slippery it feels like ur on ice, u just gotta find out comfort zone and throttle and brake control. Im not a big fan of mud ive had too many dumb slow spills in the track after they water it. The best advice is riding boots are just as important as a helmet, u will thank ur self for it

In sand slow is not easy especially for beginners ur gonna fall alot at first dont get discouraged, the faster u ride the smoother it is, if ur rear end starts to cha cha or swap back and forth grab a hand full of throttle and it will straighten out, try not to break in that situation cause it only makes it faster and it wont end to well, mud is prob one of the hardest its slippery it feels like ur on ice, u just gotta find out comfort zone and throttle and brake control. Im not a big fan of mud ive had too many dumb slow spills in the track after they water it. The best advice is riding boots are just as important as a helmet, u will thank ur self for it

throttle_solution_dirt_bike_motocross_poster-p228703669424256163vsu7_325.jpg

• Like 1

The proper tire for your area will go a long way. And mud suks i bought killed myself at the track about a month ago in the whoops  :lol: pretty funny afterwards and i still don't know how i hit my thigh on the end of the bars go pro moment for sure . :ride:

Sand is my favorite. I hated it at first because I would fall a lot haha. But just lean back and the faster you go the easier it is.

When I first started riding, I didn't like sand either.  Then I discovered how much softer it is to fall in than rocks.  After that, we get along famously!

Yeah rocks aren't nice to fall on.

They always seem to get you in the right spot to hurt too. How bout crashing in sand onto a rock? Ive done that.

Also crashed in a whoop section and landed in a hole beside the tracks with the bike on top of me. 

--------------------------------------------------

Mud you just sort of have to "do it". Flow with the bike and float over the top of the stuff. Stay "light on the bike". When it starts digging in or you see other riders stuck, jump off and push!

My explanation doesn't make sense though. 

• Like 1

Thank you all! Ill try out your tips this weekend. Its raining 4 days in a row here right before the weekend so im sure there will be plenty of mud! Also, my exhaust is extremely loud (loudest ive heard a dirt bike), I have a fmf factory 4.1 slip on exhaust. Is there a way to make it quieter? Will a quiet core make a big difference? I just don't want to get the cops called cuz my big is too loud.

Thank you all! Ill try out your tips this weekend. Its raining 4 days in a row here right before the weekend so im sure there will be plenty of mud! Also, my exhaust is extremely loud (loudest ive heard a dirt bike), I have a fmf factory 4.1 slip on exhaust. Is there a way to make it quieter? Will a quiet core make a big difference? I just don't want to get the cops called cuz my big is too loud.

Repack your silencer. Its about $10 for the material. Watch a YouTube video on it, it is ridiculously simple. Like everyone else said give it a little throttle. It may sound crazy but the more your rear tire is pushing without slipping traction, the safer you are on most surfaces. Be safe and most of all have fun! You'll have it in no time.