Sign in to follow this  

Inner Cartridge-Bleeding vs measuring?

Just replaced the seals on my 2007 KX250 and don't have a correct service manual.  I found one thread that said ~160mL in the inner cartridge and ~310mL in the outer.  Can someone verify this?

I also measured the oil level with a syringe tool per the specs in the manual that I have, and set the oil level in the inner cartridge to 110mm.  I'm pretty sure this is incorrect since the manual I have shows an old style fork (see below).  Can anyone share the oil height range on this bike?

Screen shot 2014-04-28 at 4.20.10 PM.png

1)  I've read and seen where some people fill the inner cartridge completely full, pump the pushrod, and then bleed through the side.  Is this the correct method?  Should fork oil always be measured with the syringe for the inner cartridge, in which case it's usually not full?

2)  Does this manual look right for the newer KX250?  And what's the difference between the recommended oil level (123-127mm) and the adjustable range (100-145mm)?

Lots of questions I know...but really appreciate the help.

Just overfill the inner it's about 190 I think on newer forks , not sure on the outer on that fork

M1 means 2003, M2 means 2004 KX125/250

both open bath cartridge forks.

a 2007 KX250 has closed chamber forks. outer is 310cc, inner I can't remember.

but like mog said, overfill it (I took 135mm from top, rod extended)

Thanks guys!!  So I'm a little lost here because everyone is saying to bleed the inner cartridge.  My manual for my 09 YZ125 clearly showed to measure the oil height to 140mm below the tube top, yet didn't say anything about bleeding??  And, the syringe tool should be used for the inner cartridge correct?  I don't understand how you bleed excess out, but use the syringe to measure the level?  Clearly if you use the syringe, there's air involved because the inner cartridge isn't being bled.

Can someone please clarify.  All inner cartridges should be filled then bled?  Then what's the syringe for?

It may say 140 from top tube but you still have to bleed it , look on u tube for videos

• Like 1

After you pour oil in compress rod about 4 in. And pull down to expell air ....let it set a few min....then repeat.....repeat...until no more air bubbles come up.....then put oil up at about 135 mm

On kyb forks like bcssrmz250 overfill creates a vacuum behind floating piston. Put the amount your manual says and bleed

• Like 1

Back together correctly! Thanks for the help!!

Just to revisit...I left the outer/inner tubes together but drained the oil, then pulled the inner cartridge out separately.  Pulled the base valve, refilled with oil, pumped multiple times, and then allowed to sit for ~30minutes for all air bubbles to escape.  Came back, measured with syringe to ~148mm from tube top (service spec), pumped damper rod about 3/4 way up, then reinstalled base valve while pulling the damper rod down.  After base valve was back on I pumped damper rod full extension ~10 times and bleed the cartridge of excess oil.  Reassembled into inner/outer tubes.