Sign in to follow this  

Klx300 acr mod

I have a 2001 klx300 that needs an acr mod done, can anyone help me out or send me in the right direction.

All right,  I'll bite!  I own a 2006 & 2007 KLR 300s,  I have no idea what an "ACR" mod even is?  Someone want to elighten me?

ACR stands for Automatic Compression Release. It is a little mechanism that is mounted on the end of your exhaust cam to make kick starting a little easier. In the earlier years of producing this model it was not timed just right and made kicking harder which placed more pressure on the idler gear causing premature wear and in some cases failure. It was around 2003 give or take that I think Kawasaki wised up and made a change. For those of us who did not have will or the resources to correct this earlier year problem the cam was pulled and sent off for correction. In my case I sent mine to Brewster who is a member on this site and one of the experts on about every system regarding  this make and model. Do not know if he still offers this service but suggest you PM him to find out and if so work out the details. 

ACR stands for Automatic Compression Release. It is a little mechanism that is mounted on the end of your exhaust cam to make kick starting a little easier. In the earlier years of producing this model it was not timed just right and made kicking harder which placed more pressure on the idler gear causing premature wear and in some cases failure. It was around 2003 give or take that I think Kawasaki wised up and made a change. For those of us who did not have will or the resources to correct this earlier year problem the cam was pulled and sent off for correction. In my case I sent mine to Brewster who is a member on this site and one of the experts on about every system regarding  this make and model. Do not know if he still offers this service but suggest you PM him to find out and if so work out the details. 

thanks, i was vaugely familiar with the compression release issue,  but since it seems to be earlier versions i never worried about it much,  never made the leap to ACR = Auto Comp Release