So my New SM tire got a puncture today.

Hello guys and girls, I just put some new Michelin pilot powers on my DRZ front and back last month, and with less then 500K on them I found my rear tire was flat today with a cotter pin stright through the middle. I pulled it out most of the way and took a picture of it.

I've always heard that when street bike tires get punctured you should never try patching them, I can totaly see why they recommend that for street bikes as they "don't use tubes"...But seeing as this is for a SM which "does use a tube" I was wondering what the general consensus is on just replacing the tube with a new one and if the small hole in the tire should be patched or left alone.

IMG_0990.JPG

Edited by Run-Forest-Run

Just replace the tube. I love when sport bike guys come in with nails in their tires (Not because it happened to them, of course) because I get to put them on my bike.

I really think the "don't run a patched tire" logic is a scam by shops to get you to buy a new tire from them, if the patch fails the tire goes soft, inconvenient yes. But it doesn't magically explode and send you off a cliff.

• Like 2

Hello guys and girls, I just put some new Michelin pilot power on my DRZ front and back last month, and with less then 500K on them I found my rear tire was flat today with a cotter pin stright through the middle. I pulled it out most of the way and took a picture of it.

I've always heard that when street bike tires get punctured you should never try patching them, I can totaly see why they recommend that for street bikes as they "don't use tubes"...But seeing as this is for a SM which "does use a tube" I was wondering what the general consensus on just replacing the tube with a new one and if the small hole in the tire should be patched or left alone.

Patch or replace the tube and have no worries. I have had plenty of nails, glass ect. go thru my SM tire and have many carefree miles on the same tires after patch or tube replacement.

Dan

• Like 1

Replace the tube. Patch the tire on the inside. No worries.  A small puncture doesn't do much damage to the tire carcass.

Wow thanks for the replys guys, that was within 4 minutes of me posting, talk about great service   ?

Should I use a plug style patch or just a normal style patch?

Edited by Run-Forest-Run

You may be referring the a patch that is also a plug inserted from the inside.  Yes, I like those but they require the hole in the tire to be made bigger. If the hole is already big a plug-patch is good. But with the small puncture in your tire - no.  No reason to make it bigger.  In fact the inside patch is probably not needed at all but does not hurt to use one.  If you were asking about a standard tire plug, then no.

"You may be referring the a patch that is also a plug inserted from the inside"

Yep that's the type I was referring to, the type that is both a "plug molded in with the patch all in one deal". I had the local tire shop instal one of them on my car tires and it worked great, but they did have to make the hole allot bigger so I kind of figured making the hole bigger would be a no-no and you confirmed it. Thanks Noble and to everyone else that replied, I searched Thunpertalk for this particular subject and couldn't fine anything really definitive. So hopefully this topic helps someone out wondering the same thing in the future.

Forest , the plug patches are for patching tubeless tyres and can be used in tubed tyres if you wish . One thing I would look out for is the inside of the tyre where the cotter pin came through . If it caused any deformation of the carcass , it can pinch the tube . That is when a patch on the inside of the tube is a good idea , but as the other guys have said , either fix your tube or replace it as you wish and go ride , greg