Sign in to follow this  

Loose countershaft sprocket nut

Hi all,

I found the countershaft sprocket nut finger tight on my 2012 DRZ400s the other day, and was in the process of doing the recommended loctite fix when I found that the spacer appears to be worn/grooved on the the side that contacts the bearing inner race.

I would like to know first if what I am seeing in the first picture is actual wear, or if the end of the spacer is supposed to look like mine with a sort of machined "step". The sprocket side of the spacer shown in the second picture doesnt appear to have much wear, and the sprocket itself doesn't appear to have wear on the surface that contacts the spacer. The sprocket fits relatively snugly over the shaft splines (there is a slight bit of rattle but I would suspect no more than .005"-.010") and the splines themselves dont appear to be mushroomed or worn. The face of the bearing that contacts the spacer doesn't appear to have much wear as can be seen in the third photo (although it is hard to tell either from the photo, or actually looking at the real part without removing it). The o-ring seal appears to be in good shape as well.

If this is wear, would it be considered normal or excessive? Is this the wear pattern that most of you are seeing on the spacer? Would this warrant replacing the spacer, and should I expect other parts common to the countershaft (2nd gear bushing, bearing race, gear) to have similar wear and need replacement as well? I just want to make sure that I do the job correctly the first time, so can I just reinstall this part without worry or do I need to start digging deeper?

I am not sure how many miles I rode with the nut loose but its under 1000. I bought the bike new and changed the OEM countershaft sprocket to an aftermarket Sunstar sprocket within the first 1000 miles. I did not apply red loctite to the shaft splines and sprocket, but I did apply blue loctite to the nut and torqued to 105ft*lbs with the intention of monitoring the torque to avoid this problem (which I knew about). Basically I rechecked the torque about every 1000 miles (every oil change) so it had to loosen up somewhere between 3000-4000 miles. (Bike now has 4000 miles on it).

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

Thanks for your time.

Picture 1 is too blurry to tell much, but no worries, what I see is of no consequence.  It would be difficult for that surface of the spacer to ever wear enough to be a problem.  That spacer gets replaced when the seal wears grooves in the OD.

Do the Loctite fix, torque up the nut to 105, verify the countershaft rotates freely in neutral and go enjoy.