Sign in to follow this  

Should i get a 300xcw?

Hi.

Im considering buying a nice 2012 300xcw with a rekluse clutch.

I currently ride a nicely built '03 cr250 that im quite happy with.

Will i find the 300xcw to be to mellow?

Would i be better off waiting for an XC?

I suspect you would like the xcw300 coming from an 03 cr250. I put a lot of time on an 02 cr250 and I ride my buddy's 12 xcw 300- recluse equipped. I have only happy thoughts when I ride that 300 in the trails , its 13/52 on the gearing and I got a 14 sx head for it just to make sure it pulls strong .

ride some one else's bike you'll see

Three deal breakers in that one...

1. It's a 300

2. It's an XC-W

3. It's got a rekluse.

However ANYTHING is better than a CR250.

:)

the cr is a super reliable awesome handling bike.

I like the snap of the moto bike.

The guy selling the xcw is 50 years old and is selling it to buy a yz250 cause he thinks its more fun.

My built cr gives up nothing to my brothers '14 yz 250.

I have no doubt the xcw is great.

But i wonder if i'll find it a little boring.

I suspect you would like the xcw300 coming from an 03 cr250. I put a lot of time on an 02 cr250 and I ride my buddy's 12 xcw 300- recluse equipped. I have only happy thoughts when I ride that 300 in the trails , its 13/52 on the gearing and I got a 14 sx head for it just to make sure it pulls strong .

ride some one else's bike you'll see

where do you get an sx spec 300 head? A ktm part?

I bought mine from slavins racing all so got the new vf4 reeds, what the hell stock ones were 2 years old , if you love your cr keep it, if you want a xcw buy it , if your just bored ... af500 maybe?

I went from a 01 KX 250 to a 13 300 XCW. I couldnt be happier! Have not even messed with the power valve adjustment and am super happy with the power. Better bottom than the KX (which had great bottom) and revs smooth and quick much better than the KX ever did (they are known to sign off early compared to other 250's). I have no complaints about the tranny. I ride everything from super tight gnarly single track to very fast high desert and the gearing works good everywhere. The low first gear also allows me to put around with my little ones without having to be clutching all the time. The only thing I can imagine getting bored of is the same old trails. If you get bored find some new challenge in the terrain.

Came off a 2004 cr250. It was a fun bike but geared way too tall for woods riding. Went to the 13 xcw and it is way better. It will make your Honda feel like a hyundai. They components and build are much higher quality and you will notice the difference in handling immediately. Do it

I bought mine from slavins racing all so got the new vf4 reeds, what the hell stock ones were 2 years old , if you love your cr keep it, if you want a xcw buy it , if your just bored ... af500 maybe?

i love the cr but its time for something new.

I had a CR 500 years ago, it was a blast but im faster on the 250 nearly everywhere.

the cr is a super reliable awesome handling bike.

I like the snap of the moto bike.

The guy selling the xcw is 50 years old and is selling it to buy a yz250 cause he thinks its more fun.

My built cr gives up nothing to my brothers '14 yz 250.

I have no doubt the xcw is great.

But i wonder if i'll find it a little boring.

If your Cr has a good top end and is jetted well it will be quite a bit more aggressive than a 300XC-w . The xcw engine is VERY MELLOWED DOWN with the lower compression head and xcw cdi ignition .  im not sure what your end goal is but im thinking you want a woods bike that will have some "pep" like your Cr .

I'd say get a 300 XC , get the head milled a bit and Sx cdi for it and it will be almost as aggressive as the yz250 you mention but it will have alot of bottom and low mids while still retaining a nice mid to top pull . Nothing wrong with the Xcw but it sounds like you're comfortable on Mx bikes and i think you'd find an xcw very mellow...they are not designed to be as instantly responsive as a YZ , Sx , Mx bike whereas the Xc is in between ...and with the 2 parts i mention it can swing more toward the Sx/Yz type power delivery. Then if conditions require mellow, you just shift to the next gear which the 300 will have no trouble pulling, lugging .

Another thing is that the XC suspension is not only VERY good in the woods but also can get by in Mx if you dial up more comp damping .

i had my head done at cycle playground. He's done my 09 300 , my 08 Yz125 ,  12 Yz250 , 13 300 Xc .

Edited by avocasingletrack

If your Cr has a good top end and is jetted well it will be quite a bit more aggressive than a 300XC-w . The xcw engine is VERY MELLOWED DOWN with the lower compression head and xcw cdi ignition . im not sure what your end goal is but im thinking you want a woods bike that will have some "pep" like your Cr .

I'd say get a 300 XC , get the head milled a bit and Sx cdi for it and it will be almost as aggressive as the yz250 you mention but it will have alot of bottom and low mids while still retaining a nice mid to top pull . Nothing wrong with the Xcw but it sounds like you're comfortable on Mx bikes and i think you'd find an xcw very mellow...they are not designed to be as instantly responsive as a YZ , Sx , Mx bike whereas the Xc is in between ...and with the 2 parts i mention it can swing more toward the Sx/Yz type power delivery. Then if conditions require mellow, you just shift to the next gear which the 300 will have no trouble pulling, lugging .

Another thing is that the XC suspension will not only be very good in the woods but also can get by in Mx if you dial up more comp damping .

i had my head done at cycle playground. He's done my 09 300 , my 08 Yz125 , 12 Yz250 , 13 300 Xc .

could you not get an sx cdi and head mods on the xcw?
  • Like 1

could you not get an sx cdi and head mods on the xcw?

Yes, you can. I did exactly that on my 09 xcw . I ended up with a killer engine but a chassis and suspension i could never get along with.

If you've ridden an xc-w and an xc back to back , i mean ride them both hard thru a good woods lap and if you like the xc-w better then i'd do just that.

Everyone is different. Me personally, i much prefer the Xc suspension, to me it's much more compliant to trail trash, square edge and whoops

than any Xc-w i've ridden ...and i rarely lose the front end as much as i did on my xc-w .  From your original posts it sounds like you're familiar

with Jap ergos and handling which imo leans more toward an Xc whereas an Xcw is more Euro . It boils down to individual rider style and preference

and you have to determine that. I can only tell you this is generally how I and most people I ride with that are B and A riders feel about those two bikes.

Open cartridge/Closed cartridge forks ~ linkage/non-linkage handle and respond very different. You have to decide what you like. Hope that helps. Good luck !

While I was just jerking your chain a bit above, I'd like you to do me a favour. Before you buy your new bike time a decent length loop of good oldfashioned island singletrack on your CR. Pick a loop between 30 mins to an hour. Then time it when you get your new KTM. You will feel slower on the KTM but I bet you knock the equivalent of 5 mins/hr off your time.

The 300 XC-W will be great for the island stuff. Many guys after long periods of time on 2t MX bikes get on an XC or XC-W and miss the violence of the MX bike coming on the pipe which translates into a sense that they are slower on the ktm. The truth is the opposite the bike deals with singletrack so well you are overall much faster.

Time it!!!!

If I'm wrong I'll host you on some Alberta singletrack. If I'm right... you are picking me up at the Victoria airport and taking me on some island trail!!!

• Like 1

Get the XCW and don't look back. From 02' on the CR250s were &%$#@! cats compared to past CRs. Fun can be measured in lots of ways. Some guys like to go hard for 15 minutes then they take a break for a couple minutes....advantage pipey bike. Some guys like to conquer gnarky terrain....advantage mellow bike. Some guys like to ride faster terrain and not have to worry about what the motor is doing. Some guys need to last for 3-5 hours straight. Decide what's more important and suits your style the best and go from there

• Like 1

Get the XCW and don't look back. From 02' on the CR250s were &%$#@! cats compared to past CRs. Fun can be measured in lots of ways. Some guys like to go hard for 15 minutes then they take a break for a couple minutes....advantage pipey bike. Some guys like to conquer gnarky terrain....advantage mellow bike. Some guys like to ride faster terrain and not have to worry about what the motor is doing. Some guys need to last for 3-5 hours straight. Decide what's more important and suits your style the best and go from there

good advice, except for the '02 in CRs. They are still to this day one of the best handling bikes around and bullet proof as well. Ive owned many years of CRs and the '02 on is the best IMO but you have to ride it hard. Not a beginer style power band.

bcislandrider, People have this impression that an Xc with an Sx head and Sx Cdi is going to be so violent and aggressive , pipey, ride it 15 mins and you get tired thing.                               That's just not the case, with the above mods, it ends up as aggressive as a slightly tamed down Yz or Sx 250 . And If it's violent and aggressive you just shift to the next gear... or you have it geared too short. 13/48 gearing works well in the '13 Xc300 and 13/49 in the 250xc.  I can tell you personally i am not one of those "ride 15 min, get tired, take breaks riders" ... we routinely ride up to 5 and 6 hrs hard single track . I have to disagree with the above, I think a more aggressive bike is an advantage if you wana conquer gnarly terrain because it can respond quicker to things but also you can simply shift to 3rd, lug and avoid wheelspin...you have more options.  If you look at some of the fastest guys in Ecea , Wnyoa and Neoc they are or were winning on very aggressive bikes. Heck Ben Bouwens won countless Wnyoa overalls and season overalls in some of the slickest wet, muddy, root infested terrain possible on a Yz250 . But I also would agree with the fact that yes there are some equally fast riders that prefer more mellow power delivery. I have a few Sx, Yz250 guys that ride here , rode their Sx and yes i agree, the Sx/Yz may be a bit too aggressive for very tight single track but fine for slighly more open stuff, most HS's and gncc type trail. No matter what you do to the the Xc , it's just not going to be as aggressive as a Yz250 or Sx250 because it has a much heavier crank and also the stator.  What happens with the Xcw ignition is you twist the throttle and it just isnt very responsive, the lower compression Xcw head adds to this effect , the stock XC ignition is just a little more responsive ... but overall they are both different degrees of mellow.  Based on what i've read the OP post so far, it sounds like he's comfortable with a hard hitting Cr /YZ type power delivery and Jap bikes in general...the Xcw is the polar opposite of that...  an Xc with the 2 mods is like a mildly toned down Yz/Sx/Cr and it's ergo's/susp are more similar to Jap. I own/have owned an Xcw, Xc, Yz, CR so i'm writing based on a bit of seat time on them. I'm pretty sure the guy above, Monk has owned or does own these bikes also.  I really think the bigger difference is the suspension Xc vs Xcw forks and link vs no-link .  You can read a hundred threads saying one is better than the other...this just tells you they both respond pretty different and you need to really think about this. You need to ride them both hard on a good diverse 15-20 min loop and see how you feel.

One last thing...from my own experience and several other Ktm riders here, the new Ktm's are not as Bullet proof as a 06-14 Yz250 .

They are using lower spec gaskets, bearings, rims and a few other things i've had to replace where i never had a prob with my Yz's , been doing same maint scheds since im riding. That said, i still like the '13 Ktm better. Here's a little vid of my Xc with Sx spec milled head and Sx Cdi, shows it lugging in ugly single track, GoPro doesn't convey the rock and tight width of the trail but it gets very rocky from like 1:25 forward and it just keeps lugging. Now if i shifted to 2nd it would be "pipey" 

Hope this helps bcislandrider . Good luck !                             

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by avocasingletrack