Anyone own a CR250 and KTM 300xcw?

I had a 12 300xc and it didn't work well for the tight tech trails I ride here in Hawaii.

The only bad things I can say about the ktm is they don't turn well, they are a tall bike and the xc suspension never worked well even after several revalve attempts.

Linkage hung way too low.

They also seem to carry the weight higher in the chassis.

Great motor, good brakes, good clutch, loved the e-start.

The xcw suspension is more trail friendly and no link to worry about.

My only worry on the xcw would be the handling, suspension, trans gearing and height.

You should see if you can ride it or ride one before you make a decision.

the new ktm with linkage are probly the tallest bike youll ever see. nearly 2" taller than the xcw or cr250. but you wont need to worry about that because the xcw height is similar to cr250.  but xcw doesnt have linkage so its a mute point how low it hangs but ill bet its no lower than the japs, it might even be higher but honestly i never bothered to check because i dont ride on top of boulders. i dont care for the xcw type of trans but some people like it. i prefer the sx trans but i could probly live with the xc if i had to. 300 with sx componets will blow the doors off a cr250 in a short race, whether the xcw would do the same in a short race is hard to say .  in the long race no question the xcw would win by a large margin because its tall 6th gear. xcw is not a motox drag race type of bike though

My friend bought a 2014 ktm300xcw and it came with 3 different exhaust valve springs to change the power band. He never played with them yet tho.

and there is two different ignition maps as well.

Wonder how the xcw would be with the aggressive spring and ignition map?

I own a 2013 KTM 300XCW and a 1988 CR250. I have ridden a 1994 CR250. The KTM is a world away from a CR 250.

In my opinion and for my riding skill, the 2009 to today model year KTM 300XCW is the finest dirt bike I have ever rode. Also realize I am tall so the bike fits me great. Ignition mapping and exhaust valves can really change the power profile.

YMMV

I bought a 2008 KTM300xcw while I had my 2003 CR250R.  I race the A class, for me it was no comparison.  I kept the Cr sold the KTM.  (btw... my 300 was 254 LBS on the starting line, it was a chunky chicken with poor suspension. ) That bike had $12,500 CDN total invested into it, including very pricey full factory connection suspension kit.

fast forward to 2012, I bought another New Ktm. this time a 250XC with linkage.  Hoping for better suspension than the PDS.  While better than the 300, it was still not as good handling or suspension as my trusty old CR.  So 6 months later (and many goofy issues, from leaky gas cap, failed electric starter, failed bendix, cracked rad shrouds just from squeezing with knees, not crash damage, seat went to mush in 10 hours and needed replacement etc.) I personally did not have a great ownership experience with that bike, seemed like something was always in need of repair/replacement.   

I appreciate Bigpauls comments of a 1988 Vs a 2013 I cannot remember my 1988 Cr enough to add anything to his comments, all I can say is a Generation 3 CR250 (2002-2007 models) is dramatically different from any earlier CR's. I suspect that the 1988 KTM is not gooing to be very impressive next to a 2013 ktm !!   His 2 bikes are a 25 year difference in model years,  I would hope the new bike has a few advantages or ktm is in a lot of trouble!!!!

My CR is far tougher and handles better than my Ktm's did, plus the CR is much lighter. (I know it has no e start, but the ktm e start failed quickly anyway) The suspension and handling still was not as good as my old CR.  So once again, the KTM was sold, the CR still is here, and it is ready to race again on Sunday!!

I am amazed how many races I have on this bike and it always works, never breaks, handles great.  I paid $1,900 for it.  I still have the stock fenders, number plates, seat and wheels!!!  My last 2 Ktm's were over $10,000 (includes canadian taxes and a few parts).

Why would I pay 500% more money for a bike that in my opinion and experience was not as good.  The shiny new bikes are always tempting.  I fell for it twice recently.

If I can find something that truly is worh $10,000  I will buy it.  For now, I am not convinced it exists..... I will keep my old CR250 !!

Edited by stroker
  • Like 3

I bought a 2008 KTM300xcw while I had my 2003 CR250R. I race the A class, for me it was no comparison. I kept the Cr sold the KTM. (btw... my 300 was 254 LBS on the starting line, it was a chunky chicken with poor suspension. ) That bike had $12,500 CDN total invested into it, including very pricey full factory connection suspension kit.

fast forward to 2012, I bought another New Ktm. this time a 250XC with linkage. Hoping for better suspension than the PDS. While better than the 300, it was still not as good handling or suspension as my trusty old CR. So 6 months later (and many goofy issues, from leaky gas cap, failed electric starter, failed bendix, cracked rad shrouds just from squeezing with knees, not crash damage, seat went to mush in 10 hours and needed replacement etc.) I personally did not have a great ownership experience with that bike, seemed like something was always in need of repair/replacement.

I appreciate Bigpauls comments of a 1988 Vs a 2013 I cannot remember my 1988 Cr enough to add anything to his comments, all I can say is a Generation 3 CR250 (2002-2007 models) is dramatically different from any earlier CR's. I suspect that the 1988 KTM is not gooing to be very impressive next to a 2013 ktm !! His 2 bikes are a 25 year difference in model years, I would hope the new bike has a few advantages or ktm is in a lot of trouble!!!!

My CR is far tougher and handles better than my Ktm's did, plus the CR is much lighter. (I know it has no e start, but the ktm e start failed quickly anyway) The suspension and handling still was not as good as my old CR. So once again, the KTM was sold, the CR still is here, and it is ready to race again on Sunday!!

I am amazed how many races I have on this bike and it always works, never breaks, handles great. I paid $1,900 for it. I still have the stock fenders, number plates, seat and wheels!!! My last 2 Ktm's were over $10,000 (includes canadian taxes and a few parts).

Why would I pay 500% more money for a bike that in my opinion and experience was not as good. The shiny new bikes are always tempting. I fell for it twice recently.

If I can find something that truly is worh $10,000 I will buy it. For now, I am not convinced it exists..... I will keep my old CR250 !!

yes, the 3rd gen CRs are tough as nails. The '02 is sold years ago has over a 1000 hours on the crank. When i helped the new owner do a base gasket and rings at 900 hours the crank still felt fine and is still going strong. My '03 has 600 hours on it and all its seen is a new wiseco and typical tires, brakes, bearings ect...

My fear is to duplicate your experience with the ktm.

something tells me the bike your looking at might be a roached pile of shit. it shouldnt need a crankshaft already unless they did cross country tours with it. and why use a hotrods anyways. rebuild with prox would of been better.

i know you were asking about a '12 but the issues stroker mentioned have pretty well been ironed out for the '13 and '14 i think. why buy someone elses worn out crap ? at one point few years ago they did use some funky gas cap but they went back to a standard screw on type like every other bike. i dont have electric start but from what i understand it works better now than it did a few years ago, whether its 100% reliable now i have no idea. newer plastic is just as good as any other bike from what ive seen, they dont use the '12 style rad shrouds no more btw. the seat going mushy might be something specific to the '12 model. the '13 doesnt have that problem. its a little stiff to be honest and i think in '14 they went to a slightly softer foam for that reason. hard to say if you would like the suspension. seems like yamaha sss was supposed to be the best but still you can find people that dont think its all that great. bikes are a matter of preference. some hate ktm. some hate honda. i wouldnt piss on a kawasaki.

i would recomend you quit kicking tires and go have a test ride on one and see for yourself. if you cant afford a new one then get the newest, most well taken care of one you can

something tells me the bike your looking at might be a roached pile of shit. it shouldnt need a crankshaft already unless they did cross country tours with it. and why use a hotrods anyways. rebuild with prox would of been better.

i know you were asking about a '12 but the issues stroker mentioned have pretty well been ironed out for the '13 and '14 i think. why buy someone elses worn out crap ? at one point few years ago they did use some funky gas cap but they went back to a standard screw on type like every other bike. i dont have electric start but from what i understand it works better now than it did a few years ago, whether its 100% reliable now i have no idea. newer plastic is just as good as any other bike from what ive seen, they dont use the '12 style rad shrouds no more btw. the seat going mushy might be something specific to the '12 model. the '13 doesnt have that problem. its a little stiff to be honest and i think in '14 they went to a slightly softer foam for that reason. hard to say if you would like the suspension. seems like yamaha sss was supposed to be the best but still you can find people that dont think its all that great. bikes are a matter of preference. some hate ktm. some hate honda. i wouldnt piss on a kawasaki.

i would recomend you quit kicking tires and go have a test ride on one and see for yourself. if you cant afford a new one then get the newest, most well taken care of one you can

thanks for the input. The bike in question is in excelent shape. I posted about a rebuilt '09 that had a hot rod crank in it the same day. I like KTM but i dont know alot about them. Everyones input helps.

Thanks.

the new ktm with linkage are probly the tallest bike youll ever see. nearly 2" taller than the xcw or cr250. but you wont need to worry about that because the xcw height is similar to cr250.  but xcw doesnt have linkage so its a mute point how low it hangs but ill bet its no lower than the japs, it might even be higher but honestly i never bothered to check because i dont ride on top of boulders. i dont care for the xcw type of trans but some people like it. i prefer the sx trans but i could probly live with the xc if i had to. 300 with sx componets will blow the doors off a cr250 in a short race, whether the xcw would do the same in a short race is hard to say .  in the long race no question the xcw would win by a large margin because its tall 6th gear. xcw is not a motox drag race type of bike though

Now that's funny!?

Watch this video of a guy in a race on a $700 old school suzuki RMX250 blowing the doors of a pack of shiny new $10,000 bikes including 300 Ktm's.

The new bikes are GROSSLY over rated.  The old ones are equally grossly under rated!!  The better rider will still win .

This is the thread on TT above video came from. You do not need to spend a lot of money to go racing, be competitive and have tons of fun!!!!

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1082697-pros-cons-of-running-a-flywheel-weight/page-2#!GO5UB

Edited by stroker
  • Like 1

most of the riders look pretty slow. and wheres all the jumps ?

nobody said you couldnt have fun on a old pile of shit rmx and if your good enough you just might win a race through a tilled up dirt field. but it doesnt have 6gears or estart which is part of the reason alot of guys ride ktm

• Like 1