Transmission rebuild? $

So my yz426 has a problem with 5th gear; every other gear is perfect except the 5th one which slips back and forth from 5 to 4. I know it is transmission, and I really want to get this fixed. Can anyone give me an estimate of how much this would be to bring into a shop to get rebuilt/fixed?

So my yz426 has a problem with 5th gear; every other gear is perfect except the 5th one which slips back and forth from 5 to 4. I know it is transmission, and I really want to get this fixed. Can anyone give me an estimate of how much this would be to bring into a shop to get rebuilt/fixed?

more than the bike is worth. if you could bring just the bottom end to the shop it might be more cost effective.

Get a manual and rebuild it yourself.

• Like 1

Just replace what is bad.  It costs about $25-35 per gear wheel.  Each speed has two gears associated with it.  You really need to go in for a visual inspection.  Transmission problems usually cost between $65-350 in parts unless you munch it really badly and you can do your own labor.  Don't forget to inspect the shift forks and shift drum.

Edited by 1987CR250R
  • Like 1

I'm currently trying to repair my crf250r that has a weird tranny problem and when I called all of my local shops, it would have cost me over $400 in labor if I took the engine off myself and only brought them the bottom end. If you're mechanically inclined and have some extra time, I say do it yourself.

• Like 1

Just replace what is bad. It costs about $25-35 per gear wheel. Each speed has two gears associated with it. You really need to go in for a visual inspection. Transmission problems usually cost between $65-350 in parts unless you munch it really badly and you can do your own labor. Don't forget to inspect the shift forks and shift drum.

So if it is only 5th gear then would I need a whole rebuild?

So if it is only 5th gear then would I need a whole rebuild?

Not necessarily, but it's still gonna cost a crap ton. You don't actually know what's going on in your transmission and what needs replaced until you get in there and see what's up. You could have a broke shifting fork or a messed up gear or anything. I thought I had my problem solved until I actually saw the inside of it and now we can't figure anything out.
  • Like 1

The typical "pops out of 5th" problem with a YZ426 involves replacing the 3rd and 5th gear on the main shaft, along with the #2 shift fork that controls the 3rd gear.  Third gear slides back and forth on the main shaft on splines, and is used to lock the free wheeling 4th and 5th gears to the shaft to engage them.  The locking lugs wear until they won't hold under a load any more.

Not really very expensive unless there is a lot of other stuff worn in there.  What adds up is all the gaskets and what not, and rings and bearings, if you decide to replace them.

• Like 1

The typical "pops out of 5th" problem with a YZ426 involves replacing the 3rd and 5th gear on the main shaft, along with the #2 shift fork that controls the 3rd gear. Third gear slides back and forth on the main shaft on splines, and is used to lock the free wheeling 4th and 5th gears to the shaft to engage them. The locking lugs wear until they won't hold under a load any more.

Not really very expensive unless there is a lot of other stuff worn in there. What adds up is all the gaskets and what not, and rings and bearings, if you decide to replace them.

That's what I meant when I said expensive. It's not the actual cost of the small things to fix it but all the hidden fees in between.

I'm in the process of tearing my 426 trans apart because it drops out of 5th under power. So far it looks like I need:

2- shift forks $55/each

probably the drum $100

gasket kit $168

already replaced I believe 2nd and 3rd gear which was $30 and $50 when my uncle was working on it. Along with some main bearings and the center shift fork $55.

So even tho I'm doing it myself it is still getting expensive quick! I was told about $800 in labor if the shop did it, even with motor already out of the bike.

• 5 years later...

Hey guys , so I'm in the process of tearing down my husband's 2007 yz450f he broke a dog gear. Well I haven't got it open yet but yeah I pulled three pieces out, metal shavings in the oil filter, and even a nick across the drum on the crankshaft... I've already come to terms with buying a all new assemby... I'm waiting for my good old "special order tools" Yamaha requires you to have for simple tasks like removing the crank, pulling the mag, and cracking the case....I'm really hoping the inside of the case isn't scarred so I can still use it... If I can't I found one online with the guys in it for the same price as my rebuild...

Do the rebuild your self it ain't that hard

4 minutes ago, ss-racing said:

Damn,  my wife NEVER works on my bikes !  :excuseme:

Make sure the oil pump isn't scarred up too .

??Yeah I'm the family pit crew for my husband and two sons. We are in southern California other then the crappy cost to live here it's off-roaders heaven..

I was really surprised there wasn't oil pump scarring , not even cylinder or piston problems , nor timing chain. But when I took the clutch off the oil pump drive gear was cracked in half... He straight shot his tranny.... Let's see if I can post a pic 

10 minutes ago, ss-racing said:

Damn,  my wife NEVER works on my bikes !  :excuseme:

Make sure the oil pump isn't scarred up too .

20191108_143854.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pauline Anderson said:

??Yeah I'm the family pit crew for my husband and two sons. We are in southern California other then the crappy cost to live here it's off-roaders heaven..

I was really surprised there wasn't oil pump scarring , not even cylinder or piston problems , nor timing chain. But when I took the clutch off the oil pump drive gear was cracked in half... He straight shot his tranny.... Let's see if I can post a pic 

20191108_143854.jpg

Haha nice. I have to tell my wife this. 
But go through the other things also. Like check if the valves leak and put a new timing chain, piston and rings it it. 

• Helpful 1

2 hours ago, Pauline Anderson said:

Well got the case open and I'm not to pleased... Got a seized bearing where the clutch rod comes into the casing. Have another seized bearing where the clutch fork shaft sits in the case. Any tips on bearing replacement? Might as well do it all sence I am here

20191114_141855.jpg

20191114_141754.jpg

20191114_141620.jpg

Yes follow my post as my buddy with a very high horsepower super single race bike does them on a regular bases. It’s butter if you do them correctly.