Sign in to follow this  

Risks of uncorking an exc-f

Hey guys just wondering what the risks are if any. Just recently came across a YouTube video describing how to uncork so I'm thinking of doing the mod myself. Thank you.

The only risk is losing riding areas if you get a louder muffler, so please keep the stock one. It's quiet and the bike makes tons of power with it. This weekend I was riding in the woods and rolled right up behind a swamp buggy and they never knew I was there. :)

I am keeping the original muffler. For those of you who saw the video I posted the link to: is that the proper process to "uncork" the bike or is the terminology wrong. From what I understand all I have to do is cut off that metal piece that's welded within the muffler at its tip. Thanks again for the responses.

• Like 1

You can leave the screen in, it's there for sound suppression and the bike runs surprisingly good with it in there. Before you remove the screen, remove the smog parts and give the TPS a tweak and it will be like a new bike. I had mine the road this weekend and it was still pulling really hard at 85mph, so there's tons on power on tap.

I'd did it on my 08, a piece of cake to do and I also ditched that sink strainer-like screen. There not much more noise at all, might have to tweak mixture screw afterward.

Note that the strainer-like screen at the end of the muffler is not the spark arrestor.  The actual SA is internal.

• Like 1

What exactly do u mean give the TPS a tweak? Sorry I'm not familiar with the term Im new to the business. And by SA and smog control what do you mean?

Note that the strainer-like screen at the end of the muffler is not the spark arrestor. The actual SA is internal.

You are correct, my mistake. I thought he was talking about the internal screen.

On the EXC models desmogging and adjusting the TPS can really clean up the bottom end. Search the threads here and you will find a ton of info. The TPS adjustment is really easy to do, you can watch a video on how to make the adjustment here: www.tpstool.com

Edited by sirthumpalot

What exactly do u mean give the TPS a tweak? Sorry I'm not familiar with the term Im new to the business. And by SA and smog control what do you mean?

SA = Spark Arrestor

Very risky!

What is the risk?

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398826924.350698.jpg

As you can see there is a difference between the six days and the regular model...that is according to the manual. I'll just have to wait till I get home and take it apart myself because I have a six days...I'll post some pictures when I do it.

If the carburetor is in charge of making the fuel/air mixture then how would freeing up the exhaust air flow affect the engine? Not trying to be a smartass I just really don't know.