Sign in to follow this  

06 RMZ 450 jerking when releasing clutch?

Hey everyone. I have an 06 RMZ450 that I have noticed is jerking when I release the clutch. The chain is set to the proper tension. The oil has just been changed and is new. Everything is put together how it needs to be. But when I go to release the clutch, no matter how fast or slow the bike is jerking. I doubt it's the clutch springs. Is it the clutch disks that are to blame? I can easily replace anything, I just need to know what may be the route of the problem before dropping the $$$ on parts.

Make sure everything in the clutch is tight... and check the steels for straightness. 

Also could be the clutch basket/hub is grooved badly which it likely is if it is the stock set up.

X2 with the grooved/notched hub & basket... That would be the first thing I would check. If the basket is notched, you can file the grooves out to get you by till you can pick up a new basket but it will wear quicker due to the extra clearance between the fibre plate tabs & basket. If the hub is notched badly, it's time to replace

• Like 1

Hey guys. Thanks for all the valuable input. I think I need to get a clutch kit and replace the basket as well, unfortunately. Buying used bikes is always like russian roulette. I feel like I lost this game :

Hey guys. Thanks for all the valuable input. I think I need to get a clutch kit and replace the basket as well, unfortunately. Buying used bikes is always like russian roulette. I feel like I lost this game :

Its an older bike... don't take it too hard. You just gotta think that the clutch has probably never been replaced (save for maybe plates and fibers) so those items will need to be replaced sooner or later. If you buy a new basket look towards a Hinson "billetproof" or similar. I installed one in my 08 and it has lasted through 6 seasons with no visible wear. Only plates and fibers have been replaced.