Sign in to follow this  

2004 rm250 looking to buy help :)

Hey guys i'm looking into buying a 2004 rm 250 jus wondering if there was anything with this year i had to worry about?, it had its top end done 6-8 hours ago bottom im not sure, i was going to check all the basics cracked reeds cylinders the compression air filter etc just wondering if im missing anything? Just looking for a spare bike and a toy for the mrs as i own a 2010 crf450r and sometimes i get bored of the thumper... I like a little bit of zing in my life :) and ive never has a problem with suzukis ive owned alot in my town, im also from australia so the prices are different from us for buying them as this one is up for sale at 2500 but will let it go for 2200 usually sitting around 3-3500 2ts hold there value here lol

Hey guys i'm looking into buying a 2004 rm 250 jus wondering if there was anything with this year i had to worry about?, it had its top end done 6-8 hours ago bottom im not sure, i was going to check all the basics cracked reeds cylinders the compression air filter etc just wondering if im missing anything? Just looking for a spare bike and a toy for the mrs as i own a 2010 crf450r and sometimes i get bored of the thumper... I like a little bit of zing in my life :) and ive never has a problem with suzukis ive owned alot in my town, im also from australia so the prices are different from us for buying them as this one is up for sale at 2500 but will let it go for 2200 usually sitting around 3-3500 2ts hold there value here lol

04 was a good year for the bike,   with any of the old  bikes in general, check out the bearings.  Most times they were never greased and are often neglected from the get go.  Check play in swing arm as well.   From all the RM's Ive had bought over the years, the main things are the bearigs.  That would tell the tail if it has been taken care of. 

Engine wise, the 04 had a great motor and was rated bike of the year by several mags here in the US.  Motor very responsive,  jetting wise the 04 can be a tad harder to jet than say a 2006 when Suzuki got the porting figured out but non the less once you have a good base setting you are good to go with minor changes needed after that.  One thing that you want to make sure you check out and or replace is the clutch basket. Rm's were known to have clutch baskets that seemed to be made of butter.  They would very quickly groove out leaving you with a very erratic clutch feel and response.  Replace it with billet basket by wiseco or hinson if it hasn't already been done.

Those are just a little things to look at,  2004 was a great year for that bike, you can't go wrong with it!

Hey thanks mate yeah was gonna check the swing arm and eventualy save up a little bit of money and strip the complete bike down paint the frame and replace all bearings and bolts etc essentially make it brand new again including the engine, yeah i heard 04 was an amazing year were they really found what they missed out on from some of there earlier bikes.. And thanks also the fuel ratio not to sure whether to go 32:1 or 40:1 been a fair while since i had a ringer

Yeah righto sounds good to me ill playbround with it whenni get it and jet is best i can accordingly