Sign in to follow this  

What possible ways can I fix burning oil?

I have an 03 yz250f (not one for fours) I also have a kdx 200 (love it). Ok question and scenario is when I give I quarter throttle it's burning oil out the exhaust, it's blue when it comes out, I sometimes notice that some days it doesn't do it but when it does it does it very noticably(yz250f I'm not dumb) but what possible ways can I fix this or if it's past my ability what is the possible problem? Ask any clarifying questions if I'm unclear, sorry

I looked it up, could I possibly need new valve seals or piston rings? I'll do both to be safe but I want your opinion

I agree with RonBuell. If your strapped for cash, I would replace the piston rings before doing an entire rebuild. if that doesn't fix it, THEN do an entire rebuild lol

I agree with RonBuell. If your strapped for cash, I would replace the piston rings before doing an entire rebuild. if that doesn't fix it, THEN do an entire rebuild lol

ok what about the valve seals?

You need to know if you're gonna spend $15 for seals, or $150 for a top end and another $250 for valves and $100 to seat them. The best way to do that is by a leak down test. If it doesn't leak, then all you have to do is replace the valve seals, which isn't too hard. Some of us can do it with engine in frame and head on.

You are used to 2Ts, which a top end job will usually fix your issues. Not so with a 4T. Walk before you run.

Edited by ronbuell

You need to know if you're gonna spend $15 for seals, or $150 for a top end and another $250 for valves and $100 to seat them. The best way to do that is by a leak down test. If it doesn't leak, then all you have to do is replace the valve seals, which isn't too hard. Some of us can do it with engine in frame and head on.

You are used to 2Ts, which a top end job will usually fix your issues. Not so with a 4T. Walk before you run.

Ok sounds about right, to be clear what parts should I buy and what should I do, the bike has been sitting for like six months from the past owner

Ok sounds about right, to be clear what parts should I buy and what should I do, the bike has been sitting for like six months from the past owner

You are not at the stage where you know what to buy yet.

Where you are is: You want to find out how bad its hurt BEFORE you go throwing money at it.

That's why I said, "Go and take it to a Shop and get it evaluated: AKA get a leak test done on it."

An hour shop time is money well spent. You will find out if you have a $20 problem or a $700 problem.

If you don't have $700 you can throw at it, why go spending money on it BEFORE you break it down and evaluate it yourself.

Or, you could just throw it into my trash can, I'll take it for parts.

What's your engine knowledge / experience? Do you know (can you name) the 4-stroke principal of operation, and the parts involved? If not, then this forum may be beyond your capabilities.

Edited by ronbuell

You are not at the stage where you know what to buy yet.

Where you are is: You want to find out how bad its hurt BEFORE you go throwing money at it.

That's why I said, "Go and take it to a Shop and get it evaluated: AKA get a leak test done on it."

An hour shop time is money well spent. You will find out if you have a $20 problem or a $700 problem.

If you don't have $700 you can throw at it, why go spending money on it BEFORE you break it down and evaluate it yourself.

Or, you could just throw it into my trash can, I'll take it for parts.

What's your engine knowledge / experience? Do you know (can you name) the 4-stroke principal of operation, and the parts involved? If not, then this forum may be beyond your capabilities.

It is a yz250f 03 an it is burning through oil, I have no Idea about fours but I'm a wizard with twos all I'm asking of you is to list common problems with it that can be burning oil, I'm wondering if it's just deglazing normally or it needs new parts which I'm willing to buy

It is a yz250f 03 an it is burning through oil, I have no Idea about fours but I'm a wizard with twos all I'm asking of you is to list common problems with it that can be burning oil, I'm wondering if it's just deglazing normally or it needs new parts which I'm willing to buy

It's not like a 2-smoke where you just pull the jug, run a hone thru it, re-ring it and go.

There are cams, valves, seals, and a host of other parts to support those parts that all work to make it run.

All those parts are close tolerance, precision fit, and you need to take the time to diagnose, disassemble, measure, evaluate, and determine what's wrong; then with an eduacated background on what's wrong, you don't waste time, you don't waste money, you don't buy the wrong part.

You Tube will be your friend for the moment.

Edited by ronbuell
  • Like 1

Just take apart the top end real quick and inspect everything. You should be able to tell what needs replaced pretty quick. If it sat for 6 months by someone else chances are that it got old and started having problems so it could use a top end rebuild anyways.

• Like 1

Just take apart the top end real quick and inspect everything. You should be able to tell what needs replaced pretty quick. If it sat for 6 months by someone else chances are that it got old and started having problems so it could use a top end rebuild anyways.

THANK YOU FOR AN ACTUAL ANSWER

It's not like a 2-smoke where you just pull the jug, run a hone thru it, re-ring it and go.

There are cams, valves, seals, and a host of other parts to support those parts that all work to make it run.

All those parts are close tolerance, precision fit, and you need to take the time to diagnose, disassemble, measure, evaluate, and determine what's wrong; then with an eduacated background on what's wrong, you don't waste time, you don't waste money, you don't buy the wrong part.

You Tube will be your friend for the moment.

thanks

Kawasakienduro, We are trying to answer your question like we would spend it like our own money. Do a search either on thumper talk or Google the leak down testing. This test is very informative as to where the problem may lie. It will tell you the problem is either above the rings or below the rings. Then you can decide how to spend your buddy's money.

Kawasakienduro, We are trying to answer your question like we would spend it like our own money. Do a search either on thumper talk or Google the leak down testing. This test is very informative as to where the problem may lie. It will tell you the problem is either above the rings or below the rings. Then you can decide how to spend your buddy's money.

Turns out it was just old oil