Sign in to follow this  

Head Shrink or Helmet Stretch

I got my helmet in late 2012. It was properly tight when I bought it. The next size down made me imagine I was getting a migraine or something.

Over the winter, I launched a bit of a fitness kick. In addition to quitting meth, tobacco, and most candy, I also severely cut back alcohol and heroin. I'm also exercising some.

I wasn't really fat before all this, but I have lost about 15 lbs.

My previously tight helmet is now loose. It's like I lost 10 lbs from my head.

My kids say the problem is I sweat like a hog which is deteriorating the lining of the helmet.

Has anyone found relatively minor weight loss and exercise to disproportionately shrink your head? Is it possible I store fat on my head? I never remember being able to grab a handful of flab on my forehead.

I got my helmet in late 2012. It was properly tight when I bought it. The next size down made me imagine I was getting a migraine or something.

Over the winter, I launched a bit of a fitness kick. In addition to quitting meth, tobacco, and most candy, I also severely cut back alcohol and heroin. I'm also exercising some.

I wasn't really fat before all this, but I have lost about 15 lbs.

My previously tight helmet is now loose. It's like I lost 10 lbs from my head.

My kids say the problem is I sweat like a hog which is deteriorating the lining of the helmet.

Has anyone found relatively minor weight loss and exercise to disproportionately shrink your head? Is it possible I store fat on my head? I never remember being able to grab a handful of flab on my forehead.

Maybe the continual weight loss and the wear and tear on the padding since 2012 has combined to make it a looser fit.

Good work quitting the meth, should be good for your longevity.

Wow....and I thought my habits/hobbies were expensive....

Good for you making a big change. I've never noticed a change in helmet size from small to moderate weight change. I've found its usually the padding breaking down. Pick up a new helmet and keep on fighting the good fight.

Some of us store a little flab in the cheeks -yes, butt cheeks also- but right now I'm talking about the face. I have no doubt that your helmet padding has broken down a bit, it's totally normal. You may have also lots a bit of cheek/jaw mass.

Lots of helmet companies have different sizes of cheek pads to make a good tight fit. You might check that out. That is, if your helmet still fits well around your melon otherwise.