Sign in to follow this  

Longer Front Brake Line

Starting a new thread for longer front brake lines;

For myself I want to have better access to my Voyager as I’m relocating it also.

The stock 2014 RR/RS brake line is too short for my needs.

What’s "off the shelf" in a 2” longer version?

Beta seems to only sell standard length brake lines, but extra long clutch....

If you do the KYB fork swap the brake line gets a little short also, a KTM line isn't even close, I would guess a line for a crf450x or crf250x would be a good bet.       

What are guys using risers doing? I've thought about a longer a brake line, too.

Starting a new thread for longer front brake lines;

For myself I want to have better access to my Voyager as I’m relocating it also.

The stock 2014 RR/RS brake line is too short for my needs.

What’s "off the shelf" in a 2” longer version?

Beta seems to only sell standard length brake lines, but extra long clutch....

I'm using the stock one with my risers and it sucks! Rotax posted a link for Galfer. I called them up and you can have them make a "custom line" any length and banjo configuration you want. Still, an off the shelf one would be really nice. 

http://www.galferusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Custom%20Line%20Sheet.pdf

So if I have time this weekend, I will go to my local motorcycle shop with pictures of the banjo ends and a string. Champion sells Yamaha, Honda, and Kawasaki. I will see if they have something that will fit. I'm pretty sure that KTM, or anything with Magura won't work. I believe the Banjo fittings are different. I could be wrong......

I can take mine off since im not riding for awhile and get the angles and length.

Cool! I sure am happy I'm not the only one that's running into this issue. Where I really screwed up, was when I installed my Squadron headlamp. I trimmed off a little too much of the mask plastic. Everything is really tight. And the headlight aim was really hard to get just right. Between headlight, bag, and the risers, the brake line rubs the computer and mask.

file_zpse6e90bcb.jpg

100_3391.jpg

100_3389.jpg

I'm using the stock one with my risers and it sucks! Rotax posted a link for Galfer. I called them up and you can have them make a "custom line" any length and banjo configuration you want. Still, an off the shelf one would be really nice. 

http://www.galferusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Custom%20Line%20Sheet.pdf

So if I have time this weekend, I will go to my local motorcycle shop with pictures of the banjo ends and a string. Champion sells Yamaha, Honda, and Kawasaki. I will see if they have something that will fit. I'm pretty sure that KTM, or anything with Magura won't work. I believe the Banjo fittings are different. I could be wrong......

Banjo's do come in many sizes. As long as the ID and thickness is the same or very close it will work. Just use the crush washers as a guide as they are your sealing surface. I've been lazy in the past and doubled up on washers. It worked but I wouldn't reccomend it. 

Edited by Rotax

Banjo's do come in many sizes. As long as the ID and thickness is the same or very close it will work. Just use the crush washers as a guide as they are your sealing surface. I've been lazy in the past and doubled up on washers. It worked but I wouldn't reccomend it. 

:facepalm: Brakes are not the area to skimp and "be lazy". 

I can verify my 2013 520RS front line is 53 inches (really 52 and 11/16) and the banjos are swedged at 90 degrees from each other. The caliper bend looks to be 20 degrees and the master cylinder end on mine has been tweaked by me to fit around flexx bars so Im not sure  the original bend but I put the 20 degree slave side up to the MC and it will work just fine.

Im ordering 57" with two 20 degree bends at 90 degrees offset. The thread is 10mm X 1.25 pitch

Edited by Mckay
  • Like 1

:facepalm: Brakes are not the area to skimp and "be lazy". 

It was a temporary thing to keep riding the weekend since no dealers were with in 150 miles of me. It was changed when I got home since I had the cable, inadvertantly grabbed the wrong one when we left for the cabin.

What are guys using risers doing? I've thought about a longer a brake line, too.

Actually, I'm not using risers at "this time" but wanting to re-mount my Trail Tech Voyager and add the Trail Tech protector higher up (as the position Beta placed it is a bit too low anyway) and does not afford me enough room for the protector. And moving it up just F's with my vision more in seeing it because of the front brake line.

I figured that an extra 2" should help....

I can verify my 2013 520RS front line is 53 inches (really 52 and 11/16) and the banjos are swedged at 90 degrees from each other. The caliper bend looks to be 20 degrees and the master cylinder end on mine has been tweaked by me to fit around flexx bars so Im not sure  the original bend but I put the 20 degree slave side up to the MC and it will work just fine.

Im ordering 57" with two 20 degree bends at 90 degrees offset. The thread is 10mm X 1.25 pitch

Thank you for that! I tweaked my master cylinder end too. Let me guess, you like your controls pointed down for stand up riding. I'm thinking on doing the flex bars and brake line at the same time. Now just see if I can squeeze another season out of this short brake line/stock bars with risers. Please keep us posted and pics of the new setup guys.

The flexx bars were miserable with the clutch line . Just when I finally got it where I wanted it, I added the LHRB and it never fit well. The hose end on the clutch MC needs to be about two inches shorter. Its going to be jammed up hard against those bars and its got very little adjust-ability.

Yes Im a stand up rider and that's one of the reasons I sold the Flexx bars, they just didn't gel well with how I ride.

Chris did you ever get around to checking out your bike shop for the longer brake line?

Just checkin, While back home last week, I got my TrailTech Voyager case, and their universal mounts, and when back again in a couple weeks I'd love to install a longer line.

Post #10 mark. I got mine and its just about right, maybe 1 inch shorter but the 57 works fine. Make sure you get aluminum ends so you can bend them. Call to verify when ordering.

Post #10 mark. I got mine and its just about right, maybe 1 inch shorter but the 57 works fine. Make sure you get aluminum ends so you can bend them. Call to verify when ordering.

Hi Jeff, Thanks again for taking the time to measure and get the cross references. So you ordered from Galfer?

In the next month or so I will be getting the Hammerhead shifter and a longer brake line. 

Yes Galpher. One small issue with them though, they use a HUGE line stiffener. It wont fit in the stock clamp on the fork tube cover. I just ran some longer screws and pinched it in there. Its too big to file the stock plastic to match. Im still looking for a 'prettier' method but this works just fine.

Yes Galpher. One small issue with them though, they use a HUGE line stiffener. It wont fit in the stock clamp on the fork tube cover. I just ran some longer screws and pinched it in there. Its too big to file the stock plastic to match. Im still looking for a 'prettier' method but this works just fine.

Thanks for the insight, while hoping to find something "off the shelf" I'll order one up tomorrow from them, I'll ask for 56" then..

Cheers

Thanks for the insight, while hoping to find something "off the shelf" I'll order one up tomorrow from them, I'll ask for 56" then..

Cheers

Mark,how did your 56" length Front Brake hose work out for you?  I'm probably going for Flexx Bars again and wasn't quite sure what length the collective here decided was the optimal length. I might try the BRP mounts, but I only have experience with the Flexx Bars and I need risers badly as it feels like my hands are nearly bumping my knees when standing up. Weird Beta only offers longer clutch hoses, but nothing on the RH side other than the stock length.