Sign in to follow this  

DRZ just drops dead

Hey guys I had a problem this weekend while heading out for a ride with some friends. My bike is a 2002 E model that I have outfitted for the street as well. The bike has always performed flawlessly and she only does minimal street duty. I think it only shows 10K miles on the clock. Anyway, I got her fired up and rode a back road about 4 miles from the house when all the sudden, nothing. I have to think this is related to ignition because when I run out of gas or need to switch over to reserve the bike will cough and buck reminding me that I'm a dumbass and need to feed her fuel...you know the drill. Anyway this time just boom and nothing. No strange noises or anything it's like I just hit the kill switch but did not. Any thoughts here? The bike was up to operating temperature and all was well, the temperature outside was maybe 55 degrees so nice and cool morning for riding. I did manage to get it going after some cranking it just fired right up and no problems...this leaves me worried about taking it any distance from the house. I have ridden it since and it seems fine.

The only thing I have noticed is this, a buddy asked me if the tank was venting well and since I didn't know, I checked the vent tube. I had a check in the tube where you could blow air into the tank but not from the tank out. I guess this is to keep fuel from flowing out on the ground if you fall over. Anyway I removed this after finding out that after running the bike some I could park it and even hours later pull the vent from between the tank and check and get the tank to breathe. Basically you hear a big sigh and the tank sucks in some air. This leads me to believe the thing may have been "vapor locking"??? and causing the bike to stall. 

If this is in fact what was happening why would I get no symptoms like I was running out of fuel? Any thoughts on the subject would be welcome and helpful. I am still not ruling out an electrical issue.

Edited by woodly1069

I doubt it's the tank vent... if you can blow air in, but not out of the tank its good.  I get a "psssshh" sound of air rushing out of the tank if the bike has been out in the sun for a while.  Fuel heats up and releases volatile gases which build up in the tank.  However if you heard air being sucked into the tank, then that's a venting issue...

So it just straight up, quit... with no warning?  Did the instrument cluster flicker, turn off or stay on when the motor quit?  Otherwise I would start with the basics:

• Check all electrical connections for looseness or corrosion (battery terminals, engine ground, ignition switch, kill switch, etc...)
  • Check battery is fully charged and is being fully charged (at min 13.5 VDC when engine is running)
  • Check petcock for operation and fuel flow
  • Check for loose spark plug connection

Does you "E" have the safety switches in the clutch and kick stand? Those failing would act like that.

Good point, I don't recall if the E model does...

Vapor lock is easy to verify. Ride it on prime till it dies then immediately pull the fuel line at the carb. If it's still flowing it's not vapor locking.

Make sure you have a fat blue spark

Does you "E" have the safety switches in the clutch and kick stand? Those failing would act like that.

That was my thought. Bypass the kickstand/clutch safety switch (if the E has these? I only know about the S/SM models).

I don't think it's either of those honestly. Clutch safety switch is only for starting so that's a no go. Kickstand switch is only a problem if it's bouncing around and normally power only cuts out for a second or so.

And if I remember correctly (could be wrong) you can still start it in neutral with the kickstand down, it won't die till you put it in gear.

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz

If the vent line was plugged it would stall more quickly with a full tank then a partial tank.  If left sit a while so air could slowly get into the tank it would likely start and run for a while then quit again. 

Check also for the wires going past the headtube either breaking or wearing through on the frame.

It quit once it got warm?  I am not sure about the instant stall that you describe but if the bike has been sitting this could also be the "gas got into the oil" caused by a leaking float needle.  Once the engine gets warm the gas evaporates and floods the engine as if the choke was on. 

Check the smell of the oil and how thin it looks.   Gas overflows the carb, down the intake plenum, into the cylinder, past the rings, and into the oil.

The problem requires both the float to leak and the petcock to leak (or it got left on) at the same time.  To check the petcock pull the hose off the carb and put it into a can or other container to see if gas is dripping.  Leave it overnight though if the leak is bad you will see it dripping in the first few minutes.

Sounds just like what happened to me. For me it turned out that a diaphragm was/is ruined. I have fuel leaking into the oil, not sure exactly which diaphragm or where it is. The mechanic will do carb work better than I can. Look at your oil, make sure it's the property consistency and does not smell of gas.