Sign in to follow this  

Please help , I think I fried my ecu

Hey guys just as the title reads , I went to recheck my tps setting last night just to make sure it has not changed since the last time I adjusted it and while it was running my alligator clip was touching my radiator (back probing tps wire at ecu) and then the bike shut off and it will crank but now sounds like a chopper and will not stay running unless I'm revving it up , choke has no effect and I'm pissed for what I did , I just had a remap from Eddie a month ago and all seemed well I just wanted to recheck everything now this happened ! Do you think I fried the ecu or the tps ? ( hopefully not both lol) 2011 250r by the way

Hey guys I really need some info before I make a pricey purchase , I'm fixin to order a ecu after checking my tps , it seems as tho its working ,but need some confirmation , if I can get the bike to fire up with volt meter hooked up the resistance is rising and falling with throttle imput and right before it dies out its reading .50 like it should , so then I switched to ohms with the bike not running and hooked the positive to the output wire and ground to black and the resistance is .8 at closed throttle and rises to 3.38 ohms at full throttle and didn't see any dead spots during throttle operation , does this seem good ? I don't mind buying a ecu but I do mind buying it and then needing a tps which you have to buy the whole throttlebody which is almost 500 bucks too !!! Thanx

Do you have someone else ECU that you could pop in and try? Same with the TB?

Eddie that's my problem I don't know anybody around here to do that , so I'm kinda guessing ! My mech told me that if I grounded out my tps while bike was running at idle that's I probally got the ecu , like I said Ithe tps seems to be functioning , I tried to order a online Manuel to get referance numbers for tps but my order wouldn't go thru for some reason , hoping somebody could look up some numbers for me

if you smoked your ecu the bike would probably not run the mass air sensors seem to be the most vunerable par on theses bikes I know switching the tp sensor connector around to the mass air sensor will fry the mas air sensor and the symptoms act that waypoaand wont idle.

Thanx Ron for the reply , all was well till my alligator clip was on the radiator while checking tps while bike was running , not showing any codes and I can force the bike to start but now sounds like a Harley and running dead rich , I can smell it and see black when revimg ! I was back probing tps at the ecu connector when it happened and the bike shut off and now doing as described in earlier posts . Are you saying if the ecu was bad the bike would not start at all ? I think I messed up the mapping somehow and it's all confused !!!

Thanx Ron for the reply , all was well till my alligator clip was on the radiator while checking tps while bike was running , not showing any codes and I can force the bike to start but now sounds like a Harley and running dead rich , I can smell it and see black when revimg ! I was back probing tps at the ecu connector when it happened and the bike shut off and now doing as described in earlier posts . Are you saying if the ecu was bad the bike would not start at all ? I think I messed up the mapping somehow and it's all confused !!!

Man it sounds like you fried something up beyond over done.

You can use a TPS from an acura rsx 2004, but I believe you need to swap the wires to get the correct reading. 

That is what I found when I built a TPS setting tool.

From what you reported earlier it sounds as though your TPS is ok.

I think I'd be looking at the injector, MAS, and ECU in that order.

If you have to buy the ECU get the GET. BAZZ, or Vortex if you can break the bank

Edited by nesc103y

Yea something is cooked well done , I feel the injector and map and all the other sensors are ok , keeping fingers crossed that the tps is fine , so I bit the bullet and ordered new oem ecu for 375 bucks and will be here first if next week . When I fire the bike the mill light comes on and then goes off like it suppose to when things are normal ( go figure) ! The only wire that was back probed was the throttle wire (yellow with green stripe) to check tps setting while idling anf the alligator clip was laying on the radiator and I didn't see it till the bike shut off , anyway if it fixes it that's great , if not I will be selling the ecu for a discounted price so I can either buy a new throttlebody which has new map and injector ,tps ect.or like you mentioned tps off of a acura lol funny you say that cuz I have a acura tl and I've always been a fan of honda products but I'm debating on getting my son a new Kawi when I sort this problem out . Any other feedback would be great !

You could have got better ECU's for less.

The Injector and MAS are less than $100. I would have replaced those first since there cheap. And easy to resell.

You'll never resell your ECU for anything close to what you paid. The GET and BAZZ are priced about the same as OEM.

Although IDK if they are a direct replacement or an add on.

The Vortex would have been the best option.

It adds more power than an aftermarket exhaust.

It has easy self tuning options, its an easy resell, and you'd recover most of what you paid. 

I know I could have bought aftermarket ecu, aftermarket electronics not allowed in 250c limited plus I wanna get the bike back up and running and gonna probally trade it off or sell it and get something new . As far as the injector goes its fine the map is fine the ect is fine and the iac is fine , it's dumping to much fuel and it didn't happen till I went to ground , tps is moving thru the range ! What are you talking about mas ? Do you mean map? If I buy a injector and map I might as well buy the complete TB with everything installed ! What ecu is cheaper than 375 otd , I looked at GET but it was considerably more !

Sorry,  my point was if you bought the aftermarket ECU you'd be able to resell it and get a good portion of your money back if that wasn't the problem.

Try selling a OEM ECU. You'll get .25 on the dollar.

I wonder if you could have reflashed the original ECU?

MAS = Yea MAP

If your chasing LL well thats a different story.

yeah been there done that more than a couple.

Edited by nesc103y

Good point on the reflash , I should have sent Eddie S a email and asked cuz seriously it's like I messed up the mapping somehow but it's ordered so hopefully that will fix it if not I'm buying a TB (new complete with factory set tps , I wish I never would have messed with it ) I know I will be in the hole with trading in but it's gotta get fixed to do it ! I have a really nice 06 that I might let go also, it's sux going from two bikes to one

I have a bunch of TBs somewhere too, I can help.

Well, while you were adjusting the TPS was it touching the radiator? This could have given you an incorrect reading. Right on the limit of when the ECU will throw a code.

Could have shorted the 5v source to ground, potentially frying the driver which I assume is inside the ecu

Well I wasn't actually ajdusting the tps I was just taking a reading to make sure it was where I had previously adjusted to , it was running under its own power and the throttle imput wire which I was back probing at the ecu ( yellow with green stripe ) is what was touching the radiator , I can still force the bike to start but runs dead rich and shus off immediately when returned to idle , throttle responce is sloppy slow at best ! Like I said earlier I feel the tps is still functioning as it will rise and fall with a ohms test and with the bike running and right before it dies I see .50v on the meter so that's why I was leaning towards the ecu itself !!!

Eddie , I very we'll might need your help on this , the ecu is on the way should be here first of next week (fingers crossed) if it works I'm happy if it don't I might be calling on you (check your pm next week often)lol!!!

Well a little update , I called to see if my ecu was in and I got told that it was on back order till the end of this month or next I can't remember I was pissed when he was telling me , I ordered it 8 working days ago so I am in need of a ecu for a 11 250r really bad , maybe someone on here has one they would part with !!! Or what about the GET is it a good choice ? Just need to get this bike going and I'm not 100% that's the problem as there no way to test just replace and see ! If anybody has something please respond thanx!!

I think Ron Hamp has one for sale a few posts down.

If I had one I would let you try it but no gots.

Thanx Eddie I know you would , little update again last night I unplugged tps ltogether and it fired up and ran with a high idle with choke off but with no throttle imput and the mill code started blinking tps which I knew would happen , plugged it back in and tried to restart then went back to same scenerio to much fuel, mind you the tps was still set between .48 to .50 . So after a few beers I decided to alter the tps setting and brought it down to .37 to a max of .40 v and the damn thing fired up and ran normal , two kick starts , good throttle responce , ect . So basically I tricked the ecu ! Some how I damaged the tps input on the ecu when it was grounded on the bike I guess it changed the fuel mapping somehow , what do you think Eddie ?