Get that dancing monkey off your back! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

What is the difference when a TTR has the shock resivoir up front?

IS it year or the electric start that puts the gold resivoir remotely on the frame down tube?

My delema is I have two sons and just bought the one the very clean 05 kick start model. Now I need another TTR for the other son and who know's maybe even one for dad. We got lucky and the first one we looked at was clean and we now own it. Two others have been junk. There is a 07 nearby that looks clean and I think is worth looking further into for my son. There is also a 01 that looks clean but is listed as hard to start....LOL. If this one is not too bad it may be a canidate for me to have one also. Any good reasons to choose one model, year over others. 2008 is when they switched to the push pull carbs correct?

Also so far the only thing we have done to the 05 is jets and working to get the tune spot on. I don't really want to exstensivley modify this but if it is a bonus does taking the screen out and the snorkel off help anything? What about cleaning the baffle, I don't know if it's dirty have not checked it yet. Do you think I should check valve clearance on this also?

Thanks.

Edited by agmc4me

I have a 2007 Electric start and according to the manual the electric start is the only model that got the reservoir shock that year.  I don't know why I don't think the e-start has anything to do with it since the reservoir mounts up front.  I have ridden all sorts of TTR's and to be honest there is not much difference in any of them.  Some actually prefer the non e-start since they are about 15 pounds lighter and simpler.  I had the starter clutch fail on mine and it seems to be common and is a 150 dollar part.  The e-start is nice for small kids and new riders but they are really easy to kick start.

I jetted mine and pulled the snorkel and the baffle and it starts and runs much better.  It is still not near as loud as a full size bike.

Valve clearances are a 5 minute job so no reason not to check.

The electric start L models (with larger wheels and front disk brake) got the remote reservoir (which has adjustable compression damping), and aluminum swingarm, and if I recall, that started in 2003.

To be honest, I'd rather have kick start-only as my 2002 and 2003 models did..

Edited by YZEtc