Sign in to follow this  

AVgas... help

Alright, so before anything else, I HAVE used the searchbar and HAVE found other threads on AVgas (100LL). But, having said that.. I have not found my answer so that is why I am writing this.

My question is: I just bought a 2005 CRF450R. The guy seemed to know what he was talking about, and he had rebuilt the engine with his buddy thats a mechanic and owns a small shop. Kibble white valves/springs all that good stuff. Engine has about 8 hours on it. Anyways... he has been running AVgas in it that he gets from his local airport. Dont know if he was mixing it or not. Ive heard of lead buildup, less throttle response, being hard on the engine and being too dry for a 4-stoke all while running this gas... well I definatley know that the throttle response is as good as it can be. This bike is instantaneous and runs great! But I need to know if this gas will actually have a detrimental effect on my engine, and if so, if it'd be okay to run premium 92 unleaded pump gas.. (best we've got around here) I've just heard so much about staying away from ethanol at all costs on these high compression 4 strokes.. so I am confused. Hopefully someone who knows there stuff can explain, and if you dont actually KNOW and just have an opininon, please dont bother to comment. I want to know right or wrong, not "I like this or that better" ... Thanks guys.

the way you pose your question, with multiple restrictions .. makes people a tad hesitant to even reply .. i have seen multiple threads on "can i use av gas" though. seriously.

the only problem with premium pump gas with ethanol blend (e10) is if it sits for more than a few weeks at a time. In that case, running a stabilizer of some sort is a good idea. I simply drain the bowl after any ride where it's gonna sit more than a week. Easy. Longer than a month ? i drain ALL the gas and put it in my car.

av-gas is just more stable, won't deteriorate like ethanol will. Ethanol is simply a octane BOOSTER that is used today, instead of the former octane booster.. Without ethanol, your gas would be way to low to run in any vehicle.

Lead is not an issue in these engines. Many will tell you it's a good idea and is easier on valves/valve seats. Most top race fuels are leaded (vp mr12 and u4.4 for example, i use nothing but mr12 in my roadrace bikes)

I ride a lot, and harescramble race, and use nothing but e10 pump gas, premium. I likely could get away with 87 and save a a buck or 2.

Edited by MELK-MAN