Sign in to follow this  

Oregon PIR Thur night MX questions

My kid and I have been wanting to check out the motocross at PIR on Thursday night. She is 7 and rides a PW50 that she is pretty comfortable on (actually she has way outgrown the power it has, but the size is still good for her). I am just wondering how aggressive the beginner 50cc class is, if it is something she will fit in with this little bike (or if it is all fast kids on KTM 50s and she will just get blown away). And I am a trail rider who has never turned a tire on a MX track before, just want to go hang out with her, ride some laps and have fun with it, hoping there are some old fart/fat boy classes where I won't be a speed bump. We have been trying to go just watch and get a feel for it all but keeps getting rained out, and with the rare nice weather this week we are thinking about just taking the bikes and going for it. Thoughts from those who have been?

Thanks in advance!!

PIR is not an 'open practice' type of track and I dont think you'll have the type of experience you're after.  A typical PIR Thursday involves 2 short practice sessions and then you go race. 

Riverdale would be perfect as they have 2 beginner friendly tracks, plenty of open space to practice skills as well as some trails.  Mt. View also has a kids track (and its awesome), but its a little more advanced and you will not be allowed on the track to ride with her.  I would personally start off at Riverdale and then consider a Mt.View practice day after you've both gotten your feet wet.  Save PIR for later IMO.

Go for it! the only race i saw this year had a pretty big pw50 class going. i believe thats the only class where the parents can get close to the track. as far as you on the big bikes, if you have never been to a moto track, take PC's advice. those guys will use you for traction

We race there a bunch.  You point out of beginner pretty quick so not too many cherry pickers ion that class.  You may run against some faster bikes but there will also be some PW/TTR/CRF's etc..............  Like PC says above you get one practice and two motos. From another "mini" dad please make sure your kid can ride a pretty aggressive MX track before bringing them out.  This is a night race on a tight schedule and watching some kid take 10 minutes to complete a lap by themself is painful for everyone including the kid.  Yes, coming to watch first is a must.  Feel free to ask questions pretty much everyone is willing to help................................

Thanks guys, the advice is much appreciated! I had never heard of Riverdale or Mt View so definitely some good info. I think we will come down this Thursday and watch and just see how it all looks then plan to check out one of those other tracks for a play day as a maiden voyage with her on the bikes before we jump in the deep end of the pool.

Woodland is also having a practice on sunday. How did the kids do at the opener Tracktor?

+1 on trying someplace else first. PIR is sort of the 'next level' place to go race. Fun to watch tho, and a cheap night of racing entertainment.

Woodland is nice and tame and a great place to practice. Low key. Open thru the winter and spring, usually closes down in the heart if summer due to dust.  I hope they keep having a few practice days thru the summer - I need to get up there and get some seat time in, but can't make it this weekend.

Woodland is also having a practice on sunday. How did the kids do at the opener Tracktor?

Z was around 4th int 85 Int & 5th in Supermini at the opener.  Pretty much the same last night.  Gotta get better starts but no matter what he isn't going to race anywhere near Levi & Austin unless we go at MX full time. Caiden got 3rd at the opener and 2nd last night in 65jr.  He is just finding his speed on the 65.  It helps that I figured out what was wrong with the power valve on his 65...................