Sign in to follow this  

Fairing bolt seized and stripped

I got new plastics and was removing the old ones off my 09 yamaha. The on bolt that threads into a nut is molted in as part of the fuel tank.. I ended up just ripping the old plastic off and the bolt is seized into the nut and everything spins . I can't get at it with vise grips or anything .. Do I need a whole new fuel tank

I got new plastics and was removing the old ones off my 09 yamaha. The on bolt that threads into a nut is molted in as part of the fuel tank.. I ended up just ripping the old plastic off and the bolt is seized into the nut and everything spins . I can't get at it with vise grips or anything .. Do I need a whole new fuel tank

Not necessarily.  You'll have to put some work into it since the bolt broke.  Dig it out being careful not to penetrate the tank, then either replace the nut or tap out the bolt using a vise grip, then re install the nut with epoxy.  This subject/topic come up almost every other week here, use the search function to call up those posts that have gobs of other good info to help you fix your tank.  I say the only time you'll have to replace the tank is if you puncture the tank, so be careful not to do that. :devil: