Sign in to follow this  

Best Mod (non engine power related)

Tons of threads on exhausts (they never end), BBK, cams, carbs, hot rods, air filters and other assorted ways of squeezing power out of the drz400.  Because we are using all of that power from the drz and the only reason we haven't bought a KTM/Aprilia/Husqvarna is reliability/price :rolleyes: (Besides Debi, pretty sure she is killing it)

With a quick search I didn't come across any thread in regards to best non power mods.

What mod(s) have you done to your drz that really improved overall ride or enjoyment from drz? 

This past winter I put heated grips on my drz and it has made those chilly spring New York days that much better to ride in and extended my riding season.  I have a Corbin seat on my Honda 919 and I need to just commit to a seat for the drz.  Curious to hear from riders who have upgraded drz suspension or other mods that really made you like your drz that much more :ride:

• Like 1

Shaving the seat foam lower (better footing and more comfortable)

The Edge Taillight (because you want the bike to look good when you drop it on its side at a busy intersection)

• Like 1

Suspension, stainless steel brake lines, 320mm rotor in that order.

Edit:

Quick turn throttle needs to be on this list

What about the suspension made the drz better?

My buddy has stainless steel brake lines...maybe I have no feeling but I honestly cannot feel a different between his brakes and mine. 

Wide footpegs for my big goofy feet. Much better feel offroad and I have yet to slip off them.

Rsc stunt clutch - lighter pull , shorter lever and smooth operation are perfect for the tight spots where you need lots of clutch. Working on getting the lever position dialed in just right but its still a nice improvement.

Hand guards should also be up there on anyones list. Not only do they save your fingers when you whack a tree going through a tight section, but when you wipe out they protect your bars.

• Like 2

Shaving the seat foam lower (better footing and more comfortable)

The Edge Taillight (because you want the bike to look good when you drop it on its side at a busy intersection)

I am lucky at 6'1" being able to have my feet down.

Edge taillight does look good at least in terms of aesthics and brightness (safety).  I have yet to drop my drz400sm infront of anyone but pretending I am riding a dirtbike in a field :naughty:  looks like a dirtbike, rides kinda like a dirtbike, SM wheels/tires not a dirtbike.  Only thing broken or hurt was my pride...had my drz for a week at that point.

Wide footpegs for my big goofy feet. Much better feel offroad and I have yet to slip off them.

Rsc stunt clutch - lighter pull , shorter lever and smooth operation are perfect for the tight spots where you need lots of clutch. Working on getting the lever position dialed in just right but its still a nice improvement.

Hand guards should also be up there on anyones list. Not only do they save your fingers when you whack a tree going through a tight section, but when you wipe out they protect your bars.

I like the feeling of wide footpegs but I can't get over the vibration from them.  Maybe its just the Moose footpegs I rode on.  I have kept with stock besides the fact they get slippery and at times it feels like my feet are on twigs.

+1 on handguards for protection and comfort, besides heated grips these work well to block wind, mud, water from hands, and the occasional times I have taken my SM out in the woods they have saved my fingers a few times

• Like 2

Ride them back to back, there should definitely be a difference. I have two drz's both in supermoto trim. One is bone stock beside a slip on and 3x3. Other is a fully built 434 with everything but a stroker crank. The difference is unbelievable.

With stock brake lines and stock rotor, the lever feel is really spongy. I could definitely feel the difference in firmness the harder you squeezed the lever. With the SS lines it's rock solid through the entire travel. One finger pulls are just as firm as four finger pulls. I do a lot of stoppies so that lever feel is important to me.

As for the suspension I found the rear WAY too soft for my liking. Front wasn't terrible but the rear definitely needed to be stiffer.

Again keep in mind this is for a supermoto setup so YMMV

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz
  • Like 1

I like the feeling of wide footpegs but I can't get over the vibration from them. Maybe its just the Moose footpegs I rode on. I have kept with stock besides the fact they get slippery and at times it feels like my feet are on twigs.

+1 on handguards for protection and comfort, besides heated grips these work well to block wind, mud, water from hands, and the occasional times I have taken my SM out in the woods they have saved my fingers a few times

I dont get any vibrations (no more than stock) with the wide footpegs. I think they are ims maybe? The girlfriend bought them for me for christmas so I dont remember. Much more grip on the tops. Might not make a big difference for the street but off road they make a huge difference in my opinion.

• Like 2

very nice idea for a thread. good job.

mine: hi rise (6") bars, restuffing the seat, a trashcan windshield, and cush drive. 

• Like 3

Push button garage door opener,  wolfman tank bag, protaper taller bars, FCR MX-39 Carb (not for its performance,  but for the fact that you do not need to use the choke anymore with this carb,  such a good thing to not have to reach down and mess with the choke IMHO)

• Like 3

Push button garage door opener,  wolfman tank bag, protaper taller bars, FCR MX-39 Carb (not for its performance,  but for the fact that you do not need to use the choke anymore with this carb,  such a good thing to not have to reach down and mess with the choke IMHO)

I have a chase harper tank bag for my 919, its fits alright on drz but in corners it slides around.  I should get a drz specific bag.  I do not like riding with a back pack.  Sometimes you just need to bring stuff with you riding too.

I was unaware of the FCR-39MX not needing to use choke.

• Like 2

Ride them back to back, there should definitely be a difference. I have two drz's both in supermoto trim. One is bone stock beside a slip on and 3x3. Other is a fully built 434 with everything but a stroker crank. The difference is unbelievable.

With stock brake lines and stock rotor, the lever feel is really spongy. I could definitely feel the difference in firmness the harder you squeezed the lever. With the SS lines it's rock solid through the entire travel. One finger pulls are just as firm as four finger pulls. I do a lot of stoppies so that lever feel is important to me.

As for the suspension I found the rear WAY too soft for my liking. Front wasn't terrible but the rear definitely needed to be stiffer.

Again keep in mind this is for a supermoto setup so YMMV

I am curious about suspension.  I have not had any compliants about my drz400sm suspension, but at some point in time I did compress the rear enough to hit rear tire to exhaust.  No idea how, I've never jumped it.  I only weight 185lb (85kg) with gear.  Reading responses from people who have had their suspension setup (any motorcycle) for them makes it sound like it is the best performance / comfort mod ever.  Then again I read those on suspension company websites, they want their products to sound awesome.

I am curious about suspension. I have not had any compliants about my drz400sm suspension, but at some point in time I did compress the rear enough to hit rear tire to exhaust. No idea how, I've never jumped it. I only weight 185lb (85kg) with gear. Reading responses from people who have had their suspension setup (any motorcycle) for them makes it sound like it is the best performance / comfort mod ever. Then again I read those on suspension company websites, they want their products to sound awesome.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398789077.817029.jpg

Yeah been there done that lol. Mines a converted S, don't know if the SM shock is stiffer but the stock S shock wasn't cutting it for the kind of abuse I throw at my bike. Between the jumps, stair sets, off-road adventures and random acts of hooliganism I definitely needed to address it.

And I was really not fond of how it would try and "bounce" the rear in sharp turns, sometimes it was enough to upset traction

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz
  • Like 2

Wider moose foot pegs for sure. Corbin seat, though not the best its still better than stock IMHO. Moose skid plate, i dont know how much crap has hit the bottom of my bike that would for sure puncture the case or side covers.

Edited by MotoStoopid
  • Like 1

Hand guards, case savers, skid plate and decent tires are basically manditory.

Springs for my weight, time spent adjusting suspension, higher bars and correct jetting all made it easier to ride. 

The IMS 2.6 tank made a subtle but noticeable difference in where the weight sits on the bike and my ability to get forward on the seat, having a visual reference for fuel was also excellent. Going to a 3AH LiFePO battery which dropped 8lbs off the top of the bike was likewise a good move.

Although it DID directly impact power, getting a lighter exhaust helped the top-heaviness of the bike as well.

-Grant

• Like 1