Sign in to follow this  

How to clean oil out of exhaust ktm 200exc

I have a ktm 200 with the stock silencer and fmf gnarly pipe. The silencer is lines with oil all throughout the spark arrester. What's the best and SAFEST and CHEAPEST way to get all this sludge out

the silencer and the spark arrestor should be cleaned out and repacked at regular intervals-these intervals depend upon how much you ride. You will get better power with a freshly packed silencer too. The stock can has a bolt on the bottom front that can be removed to help do a quick clean out of the spark arrestor. Get the bolt bolt loosened. Then snug it back up and get the bike hot. Put a towel or old sheet over the bike UNDER this bolt to cover the rear wheel and such. Take the bolt out, start the bike and rev it up. Black nasty spooge  should blow out. Tis is only a basic clean out though and you really need to take the silncer apart to repack and clean the arrestor.

Repacking a silencer is not difficult.  Probably any number of "how to" videos on youtube, and KTM silencers are definitely easier than the J brands.. The carbon buildup is easily removed by heating the covered parts with a torch, letting them cool, and taking a wire brush to it.  The carbon with fall right off with this method.  It is much more difficult to remove carbon without heat.  If your silencer is this bad, chances are you have significant buildup and the front of the header pipe as well, which can also be removed with heat.  See the Pacific Crest Pipe Repair website for more information on removing carbon if you need it.

If you really have a lot of oil and spooge however (like more than normal), you need to adjust your jetting.

I have seen options of cleaning the head pipe that you just take a torch to one end and it starts to flame out the other. Is this safe to do?

I have seen options of cleaning the head pipe that you just take a torch to one end and it starts to flame out the other. Is this safe to do?

Yes, as long as you take the open flame precautions.  But you will still need some kind of mechanical action to get rid of the carbon buildup.  The flame (heat) burns the oil and make the carbon brittle.  Once the carbon has been heated until it starts to glow, it will then break off the surface with very little effort.  

So what would be the recommended "mechanical way" to get the carbon out of the head pipe? Just bang it against a piece of wood or something? Or put some sort of snake in it and keep pulling it out the other end?

So what would be the recommended "mechanical way" to get the carbon out of the head pipe? Just bang it against a piece of wood or something? Or put some sort of snake in it and keep pulling it out the other end?

use a map gas torch and heat it up burning and crusting the spooge inside. then bang it around a bit.  but while it's al wet and sticky you wont be getting it out, heat will crust it up for you.

The build-up is going to be in the first few inches of pipe.  I just use a screwdriver or pry bar--nothing fancy.  It just scrapes right off after a good heating.  Make sure you remove the O rings before applying heat!!!!

I've done this on three or four goo-ed up pipes. Be careful you can destroy the pipe.

Clamp the pipe in a vise. Take your cutting torch with a neutral cutting flame and heat the inlet(jug) end. Once the carbon is good and glowing kill the gas and keep pumping oxygen in the pipe. You'll be able to follow where it's burning because they'll be a glowing ring around the pipe.

You'll have to vary the oxygen to speed up or slow down the burning process. It's probably imperative that you've done enough welding and/or cutting to be able to visually see how hot is too hot.

Like I said do at your own risk but the pipe's perfectly clean inside when you're done.

Edited by ia426