Sign in to follow this  

CA Emissions

So I bought a used 250l out of state that apparently is missing the much needed emission sticker off the rear fender. I guess in CA you need it if the bike has never been registered here before. I called my local Honda dealership and they don't replace them and it won't come with an OEM fender.

Anybody already registered in CA or out of state that doesn't need it? I'd be willing to buy it off you and even send it back if you still want it! You'd think if the sticker was so important they'd attach it to the frame and not stick it next to the "always wear a helmet" decal.

Thanks!

• Like 2

They can get them at the dealership but it probably takes a special order and a good parts guy.  They can be hard to find too...(the parts guy)  :devil:

Here is a link that should show it in their parts catalog.  It's listed under caution labels, it might not show a part number in the link.  It probably just takes a phone call or email to get one to them by Honda.

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053e4aef870021c54be213f/caution-label

• Like 2

I am a parts guy  ... (the hard to find kind) .... :goofy:  for Ford ... and I can tell you that Ford has to supply them for 10 years upon request and I do believe it to be a federal mandated law.  I sell them for $20.00 each. 

• Like 2

I am a parts guy ... (the hard to find kind) .... :goofy: for Ford ... and I can tell you that Ford has to supply them for 10 years upon request and I do believe it to be a federal mandated law. I sell them for $20.00 each.

Yup, 10 years is a requirement. I worked for GM for 20 years, and for 10 years after a model year we were still required to build all potential service parts.

Shit my sticker blew off at the car wash, you mean my bikes illegal now?!  haha  If there so important you think they'd have something a little more permanent than a cheap little sticker.  Kinda shitty you have to have that sticker just to prove to them the bike is legal.  If you cant buy one hopefully one of the cali guys will let you borrow their rear fender for a few days!

Edited by Tro1086

20 freakin dollars! what a RiP! 

cost me $10.00 and list for $20.00 and I sell them for $15.00 wholesale .... I just sell mainly collision parts to body shops. 

So ..... if you are ever within about 300 miles or so of Omaha ....

I hope you have your seat belt on and I hope you have insurance and I hope nobody gets hurt ....

BUT, I hope every dang one of you crash and if you do not drive a Ford .... please make sure you hit one ....  :p  .......  :lol:

• Like 2

Out of curiosity, where in CA were you registering the bike? When I registered down around San Diego they had different requirements than up by Sacramento. I believe they should have the same requirements being in the same state so I'm chalking that up to the intelligent folks at the DMV.

Im in Long Beach, I went to my AAA and before I even started the process the lady was asking me about the emissions sticker. Anybody have a good picture of one on their fender?! that could help too. :D

Im in Long Beach, I went to my AAA and before I even started the process the lady was asking me about the emissions sticker. Anybody have a good picture of one on their fender?! that could help too. :D

I ripped mine off immediately. Whoops.

• Like 1

Is this the sticker in question?  I ripped these black eyes off my bike day 1.   You can't register your bike in Cali without this on?    Sounds like another California state money grab.  As Tro pointed out, if it is that critical they need to make it something permanent on the frame.   

StickersB.jpg

StickersA.jpg

It's this one, of course this picture has a terrible glare.. I agree, can't believe a sticker so important to CA is just slapped on next to a "always wear a helmet" decal..

Edited by FiveCharlie
  • Like 1

They are available but are normally a restricted type of order.  The dealer may need to see your title/registration before they order them.

Government doesn't want a bunch of converted CRF250X's having easy access to help make them look legit.

• Like 1

"I cannot get the sticker for you. It is ordered by VIN but you have to prove that you never got it. Since you did buy the bike out of state and they didn’t give you one you won’t be able to get one in CA."

I can't find a "Cool" parts guy anywhere! Can somebody take a clear picture of the sticker for me?? Also very willing to pay an out of state 250l owner for the sticker they don't need!!! help!

• Like 2

Hard to believe mo one here bought one in Cali and exported it to some other state--Yours a13 or 14 that will make a differance as the date is on the sticker i see--Good luck :thumbsup: 

Shouldnt matter what state the sticker/bike came from.  All the bikes are 50 state legal, there is no special california emissions bikes like you see in other models of bikes and cars.  I still dont get why they need to see this emissions sticker.  If they run the VIN it will show exactly what the bike is, no question, and at that point it should be obvious that from the factory the bike conforms to all emissions and is perfectly legal, what difference does it make that you no longer have the sticker.  So glad I dont live in such a retarded state!

Tell them it blew off at the car wash, thats what happened to mine!  I picked it up, folded it in half and put it in my pocket.  If the DMV is so damn stubborn id make the dealer give me a damn sticker.  The bike is obviously emissions legal from the factory so what is the big deal over this sticker!  I can understand them wanting to see the paperwork to prove you have a CRF250L, that is fine, but why is it so hard to get a emissions sticker for a bike you own!  So dumb it pisses me off and im not even the one with your problem!

• Like 3

Shouldnt matter what state the sticker/bike came from. All the bikes are 50 state legal, there is no special california emissions bikes like you see in other models of bikes and cars. I still dont get why they need to see this emissions sticker. If they run the VIN it will show exactly what the bike is, no question, and at that point it should be obvious that from the factory the bike conforms to all emissions and is perfectly legal, what difference does it make that you no longer have the sticker. So glad I dont live in such a retarded state!

Tell them it blew off at the car wash, thats what happened to mine! I picked it up, folded it in half and put it in my pocket. If the DMV is so damn stubborn id make the dealer give me a damn sticker. The bike is obviously emissions legal from the factory so what is the big deal over this sticker! I can understand them wanting to see the paperwork to prove you have a CRF250L, that is fine, but why is it so hard to get a emissions sticker for a bike you own! So dumb it pisses me off and im not even the one with your problem!

Exactly, that's the most frustrating thing about it.. It's not like I'm trying to plate some 2stroke from the 80's. Edited by FiveCharlie

Okay .... let me try to explain how this works in my world again....  :blah:   120px-Ford_Logo.png

Emission stickers are not in my catalog and they do not have a part number.  When a vehicle is in an accident and the hood or radiator support is replaced depending upon where the emission sticker is located the body shop doing the repair "MUST" replace said sticker. I fill out a form with the full vehicle identification number on it and fax it to Ford Motor Company. 

I am sure that if your bike was in an accident and needed a new rear fender that the body shop would be required to replace that emission sticker to bring the bike back to before accident condition. 

Since I am a parts guy ...  :p  and I do not like being stumped by the band ....  :lol:

If I get some time I am going to call my Honda dealer and see what they have to say about all this because it makes no sense to me. If it is required by law to be on the bike then it must be provided by the manufacturer if a need for replacement arises ....  :prof:

this is driving me nuts ....  :banghead:

• Like 3

this is where the beauty of mankind comes into play...  i'd be furious, i understand that point fully...  i would have had security called on me just by staring at the moron on the other side of the desk... its happened before...   :devil:   BUT..... the moron on the other side of the desk is a human...  maybe he got in trouble for doing something like that before.. who knows... maybe he didn't like your shirt or how you walk...  people make their own choices on whats important and right TO THEM.... 

that being said, here in jersey, DMV's are everywhere...  (10 miles a part at most )  i'd go to another DMV and see what a new moron sitting behind the desk thinks is important...   just know, the new window licking moron :banana: might think your driver license photo is too light and looks fake. so you they cant use it as part of the 6 point identity check.... i've seen it happen... lol

• Like 3