Sign in to follow this  

Regarding the 2008 CRF250R

I have been a member of this forum for a year or two and am always in the Kawasaki KX 250 section until recently. I have been a 2-smoker guy my entire motorcycle riding life which is over 40 years so I know a thing or two about 2 strokes. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago and I purchased a 2008 CRF250R from a friend of mine hardly ridden is in very good condition and always well maintained. I want to feel good about this purchase as this is my first thumper outside of a 2 year period where I owned a KFX 700 V-twin quad (crazy fast but I am not a sport quad guy) . Here is what I have seen so far with this bike, Once we got the old fuel out of the tank and carb it starts fairly easy and runs amazing to me as I am used to 2-stroke power so it is different but very fun to ride. 

This is the part that concerns me with this Honda with what I have either heard from people or read on this forum and others and there may be more.

• Years 06, 07 and 08 Honda used a lighter material for the head and it is soft
  • the valves wear quickly and recess into the head
  • you can get two years out of the bike (depending on riding) before a major valve, head etc. rebuild
  • the bike won't start
  • you have to perform the decompression mod to get it to start
  • if it stalls while riding it is a bitch to start
  • don't use the throttle to start
  • twist the throttle once and then two times quickly to start it with choke
  • don't buy it
  • do buy it 
  • and many more

Here is my point of view having heard of a few of these issues, I still bought this bike because of the condition, history, cool factor, etc. good price with lots of stuff thrown in,some well thought out aftermarket parts i.e. R&D float bowl and fuel screw cycra handguards new chain and chain wheels , etc.

Here is my point/question to all of this rambling from an old ,easy to start and work on 2 stroke guy. Did I buy a very expensive paperweight? or is this model a good bike for me to have fun on and teach my teenage son to ride? I would like to hear from anyone that has had a great experience with this bike as I only really see when there is a problem or issue. 

In the end I am going to ride it and enjoy it and teach my son to ride it no matter the outcome but I would appreciate some good stories that some of you may have had. (still have my KX 250 if all else fails) Thanks

• Like 1

I'm an old timer and I also just bought one because of an amazing price. Mine was not maintained well and as soon as I get it cleaned up I'm going to try to trade it for a 230F or 250L/M. This thing is waaay too fast for me. It's like trying to drive a Formula 1 car down my dirt road. Repair costs are also in the F-1 class. 

I'll be following your post to see what kind of answers you get. 

I too need to crack the throttle a couple of times to get it to start cold with the choke. 

One more thing - when I talked to the guy who does the serious work on my bikes and quads, he asked "What year?", I said, "2008". He said, "Yeah. That's a good one." Then, he told me near a grand for head rebuild with titanium (OEM) valves ($100/each X 4).

It really doesn't cost a lot of money to have a head properly rebuilt. The OEM exhaust valves are stainless, not titanium, and the valves don't cost $100 each...

If the valve clearances are good just be sure to not let dirt past the air filter (proper filter cleaning, oiling and removal/installation process) will keep it running fine for a very long time.

Edited by Eddie8v

Hi if it starts and runs ok go out and enjoy it alot of the problems on here are caused by the owners or previous owners failing to keep the dirt out of the motor,been runing my x which I had new in 2005 and no problems to date to speak of my boy has a 250r 2005 that also runs great if you rev the crap out of them all the time it will wear out if you dont it will run for a long time as with any bike look after it it will look after you,my son started riding his at the age of 13 had no problem getting used to it.

Hi, another old timer, first time CRF owner. Like you bought a 07 250r with very low hours and well maitained. Like Eddie and Martin says, i believe thats the key, keeping it well mantianed. Mine has always started well, but you definately have to learn a good procedure that your bike likes.

I was a pro motocrosser back in the 70's to 80's , then no bikes for 20 or so years. The last 4 years road raced with my son, now back MXing with son and grandson.I absolutely love these new four stroke bikes. That bike you have is far from a paper weight, magazines still talk about the 08's as being some of the best Honda's. Just keep it maintained well.

Ya, you can tell it hasn't been ridden much, like mine hardly any scratches on case covers and plastic. Sweet ride. That must be a kickstand from a X model? and is that an aftermarket exhaust? Man that looks identical to mine when i got it, with bark busters and skid plate. Your going to have a blast on that thing, you wont want to ride your 2 smoker again!!!

It really doesn't cost a lot of money to have a head properly rebuilt. The OEM exhaust valves are stainless, not titanium, and the valves don't cost $100 each...

If the valve clearances are good just be sure to not let dirt past the air filter (proper filter cleaning, oiling and removal/installation process) will keep it running fine for a very long time.

Yep. Only 2 of them are Ti.

2008 CRF250R Specifications 9/6/2007 2:40:00 AM
Model: 2008 CRF250R Engine Type: 249cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke Bore and Stroke: 78mm x 52.2mm Compression Ratio: 13.1:1 Valve Train: Unicam, four-valve; 31mm intake, titanium; 26mm exhaust, steel
Edited by AlmostaCowboy

Imagine Honda's embarrassment, claiming the valves in the 2008 250R as titanium only to find out they're SST.

It does have titanium intake valves. And stainless steel exhaust valves... Edited by Eddie8v

Hi you can have TI intake and Ti exhaust valves if you so wish ask fast heads they can do it they did me the full ti valve set up on a RHC ported head/rebuild.180 hours no valve shiming good stuff.

once the head dies, send it to fastheads. I had them do the 599$ rebuild and i raced it for 2 years without having to shim. It was within spec when i sold it

Consider the fastheads ss rebuild if you dont race it wide open. i think its 299-399 and it wont rev as high but it will last forever

• Like 1

once the head dies, send it to fastheads. I had them do the 599$ rebuild and i raced it for 2 years without having to shim. It was within spec when i sold it

Consider the fastheads ss rebuild if you dont race it wide open. i think its 299-399 and it wont rev as high but it will last forever

Very good info. Thanks much. My "racing it wide open" days are behind me, unfortunately (or fortunately).

Checked the valve clearances and are right on the money. Next clean the carb and check jetting. I'm at 3200' elevation.

grip n rip.

Should last you a while. I suggest you stick in a twin air filter from the get go, and keep it so so so so so clean. The stock head will die eventually but if taken care of it still can last.

Thanks for the info guys, and i agree, the twin air is much better than stock filter. I tried the Honda foam filter oil and Maxima, but both seemed to run out of the filter, i don't over oil it. Then i tried Bel-ray filter oil and it is great, doesn't pool and run out of the bottom of the filter.

One more thing - when I talked to the guy who does the serious work on my bikes and quads, he asked "What year?", I said, "2008". He said, "Yeah. That's a good one." Then, he told me near a grand for head rebuild with titanium (OEM) valves ($100/each X 4).

youre not gonna want to get titanium OEM valves. The problem with those is that they are not 100% titanium. They are valves coated in titanium. As soon as a little dust gets on them, it will sandblast the titanium coating off, and your valves will be shit. Get stainless steel. Cheaper, better.
  • Like 1