Sign in to follow this  

Buying Michelin T63 tires - please help me pick the sizing

After a lot of research, I've decided to buy a set of Michelin T63 tires to replace the junk that is on my newly purchased DRZ.  My question is, what size do I want to order?

Michelin's site recommends 90/90-21 for the front and 120/80-18 for the rear.  I have heard the T63 runs a bit narrow, so I am wondering if I should order the 130 for the rear.  

Anyone have experience with these tires?  Should I go with 120 or 130?

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/MICHELIN-T63-TIRE-COMBO?ride=SUZUKI;DRZ400S;2004

Thanks

I just made the switch this weekend. I had a harder time figuring out what size tubes I needed vs tire size.

From my research, I found more people went with the 130/80-18. I also made the same decision, and it seems to be just a tad shorter than the 5.10 I pulled off the bike. I have nothing but good things to say about these tires. They are barely audible on the street and did not require any balancing. There are people who aren't too happy with the fronts, but I want to try it and make that decision myself. I live in Sandy NJ, and they grip awesome in the sand. I had no problem keeping with my buddies with D606s.. which wouldn't work for me.

I picked mine up from motorcycle-superstore.com. Free shipping, and there is a 10% off coupon good until 5/5.  Code: pb-thanks10

I also got a set of Motion Pro LiteLoc Tire Locks, they're awesome and work great. I ran 12psi without issue this weekend. 2.15 for the rear and 1.6 for the front.

I picked up a set of Kenda Tuff Tubes from Amazon: Rear - Kenda 67205229 / Front - Kenda 695H5222. Can't beat the price.

• Like 1

I ran the 130/80 T63 rear on mine and it was fine, no clearance issues or anything.  Fairly decent road grip for a knobby too, but not the best choice for mostly street riding.  I would have put another set on but my street to off-road riding ratio is about 90/10 anymore.  When I am off-road, it's usually in pretty easy, wide open and dry trails.  While the T63s are certainly great in that situation, I wanted something that would last a little longer and give a litter better on road grip but still be able to tackle some light off-roading so I went with the Shinko 244s.  I would definitely recommend the T63s as a more off-road oriented D.O.T. tire, though, and they're a far better deal than the D606s.

• Like 1

Awesome, thanks for the good information.  Is the 130 any wider than the stock death wing?  I don't necessarily want something wider, I just don't want something narrower than stock.

Are new tubes required when buying new tires?  This is my first dirt bike.

• Like 1

Awesome, thanks for the good information.  Is the 130 any wider than the stock death wing?  I don't necessarily want something wider, I just don't want something narrower than stock.

Are new tubes required when buying new tires?  This is my first dirt bike.

About a 1/4" wider.  No, I have the original tubes in my '02' with 140/80/18 tire.   :ride:

Thanks. I went ahead and ordered the tires today and went with the 130 out back. I picked up some heavy duty tubes too just for peace of mind.

Anyone interested in a complete set of drz wheels with rotors, sprocket and tires? They came with my bike but I won't be using them. I also have a "short" Corbin and a White Brothers R4 pipe. I'm going to throw it all up on eBay.

Edited by thedigitel
  • Like 1

I live in California and ride in desert, high sierra's and have been happy with 130-18 rear and 90-90 21 front. Good grip and work great on street between desert and mountains.

• Like 1