Sign in to follow this  

KX 250 engine parts interchangeability 93-04?

Hello!

I would like to know if the gaskets are interchangeable between models. My engine is 1999 model. Does 2003 year top end gasket fit 1999 engine?

This site works, but doesnt recognise my vin JKAKX250LLA032384

Just do the search by year/model. It works fine. After you get to the parts diagrams for your year you can click on each individual part number and it tells you the compatible years.

Sometimes the part will work but it doesn't say that on the factory fiche. I've spent probably an hour and a half trying to cross parts on the factory fiche for my 92. Also, i try to get info from more than one source to make sure before i'll order a part.

i've gotten a lot of info about my honda from oem cycle, they also have the link to their used parts.  i didn't realise they had info on the kx250 but they do. :thumbsup:  it's a good source of quick, easy to decipher info. http://www.oem-cycle.com/KAWASAKIKX250BIKEID.shtml

So has anybody tried the 05-07 piston on 92-04 cylinder?

IMO these motors are very different. Compression on 05+ is massive compared to 04-. I bought a Namura piston kit for my '99 at $57. I don't think a 05+ piston will save you any money.

Well I found one cheaper than the Namura. I comperad the porting and the newer ones dont have sub intake ports. Are the piston wrist pins and rings interchangeable?

Edited by mikkh

Bro, you can't find a $50 stock piston?  Just buy the right part!

Where you can get the kit for that cheap? By the way I have 98 engine.

Aren’t you the guy who was trying to find o-ring gaskets and carb parts from a hardware store?  :excuseme:

Aren’t you the guy who was trying to find o-ring gaskets and carb parts from a hardware store?  :excuseme:

Bought rear shock o-rings and piston band from hyraulics store. They work great.

No updates on piston compability?

I know that already, but I want to know do the newer pistons work (05-07)? I know they arent´t the same, but has anyone tried them?

I know that already, but I want to know do the newer pistons work (05-07)? I know they arent´t the same, but has anyone tried them?

If they are not the same I don't think anyone would consider trying them. Why would someone intentionally try to destroy their motor? Stuff costs money and most dirt bikers are not willing to waste it. :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :thinking::goofy: 

IMO these motors are very different. Compression on 05+ is massive compared to 04-. I bought a Namura piston kit for my '99 at $57. I don't think a 05+ piston will save you any money.

What he said. ^

The KX250 had a 66.4 x 72mm bore/stroke from 1992 to 2007. All years used domed pistons. If I'm not mistaken, the rod length has also remained the same, as well as the deck height. But what I don't know (because I've had no reason to compare ) is if the piston pin and bearing is the same diameter and width. And the porting for the '05-'07 engines is very different than the previous engines, so there is a good possibility that the ring locator pin is in the wrong place.

The intake window is irrelevant, depending on what your tuning goals are.

It would be a simple task for someone with older and newer engines laying round to figure out, but there really isn't a necessity since parts are plentiful for both generations.