Sign in to follow this  

2005 ktm450 exc ignition cover

So i have a 2005 ktm 450 exc. It has been running strong for the 8 years i have had it. I started to notice oil leaking out if the ignition cover. So i figured it was the gasket. I bought a new gasket and when i took the cover off i noticed that the actual cover is cracked. So i went onto rockey mountain and found out that they had a new oem cover for 80 dollars. Not bad at all. But on ebay There is orange billet covers for about 20 dollers cheaper. But they only have them for the ktm 250 and 300 exc. So what i was wondering was if the ignition cover off of the 250 or 300 exc will fit on my ktm 450 exc. They are the same year too. Thanks for any help.

I think the 2-strokes have a dry stator among other differences. I wouldn't think it would fit but I am not familiar with the earlier KTM's.

I ran into this with my 2002 KTM 400 EXC.

I bought the KTM Power Parts ignition cover I think it fits the SX (orange anodized).

The boss inside the cover is clocked 90 degrees out from my stock cover. What this means is the wires that go to your stator might be too short to work. The rubber grommet on my stator wiring (where the wires come through the cover) is bonded to the wires. You would have to cut the grommet, reposition it, and glue it back together.

Your wiring harness may be different than mine. I think the 400/530 lower cases are the same.

It is a really nice looking cover - I just didn't want to cut the grommet off my wire harness.

Here is a picture of the inside of the cover.

This boss is rotated 90 degrees on some models.

I don't know why.

When the boss is rotated 90 degrees (from where it is in the picture), the wires are too short for the grommet to fit in the slot in the cover (at the top ).

You can always buy the one on line, and return it if it doesn't work.

Ignition Cover 001.JPG

There are two versions, One works with the 4K3B stator (with lighting coil, like found on EXC) and the 4K3A (without lighting coil, like found on SX). The might be even more difference beyond the clocking. I don't think the coil mounting holes are the same. Haven't confirmed. I was going to install the cover I bought on Ebay, but it wouldn't fit, so I didn't proceed further. Ended up being for an SX.