Sign in to follow this  

Sizing up and hitting a jump for the first time

first let me preface this as I am not 100 percent sure I am posting this in the correct forum.  This is not on a MX track but it is more jump oriented than offroad.  I am having trouble getting the nerve to hit a relatively easy jump.  The jump is out in the hills outside my neighborhood and really inst anything special other than it is a "big for me " jump.  Most experienced motocross riders would have probably sized it up and hucked it with in 5 minutes of seeing it.  It is an up hill double/step up, probably 50 or 60 feet peak to peak.  There is next to penalty for over jumping it and there is a fairly good down hill run up to it.  I believe that 3rd gear pinned will get you there.  I just have not had the balls to hold it pinned off the jump.  I come down the hill and accelerate up the hill hard on the pipe.  That is when it goes south.  My right wrist has a disagreement with my brain and starts chopping throttle before the jump.  It rolls back on as I leave the lip but this is more just to keep the bike flying strait and I usually land just in time to ride up the backside of the landing bump.  I know it sounds silly that my wrist is doing this on its own but this is what it feels like. lol

I dont ride motocross very often.  I have done a few practice days at the local motocross track and had fun with that.  I generally ride alone although every great once in a while, I get my father in law or my brother to go with me.  There are a few other people that I ride with occasionally but typically it is more single track trail oriented.  I am also older than you typical motocross kid as I am a 40 year old kid.  I am fairly decent offroad trail rider.  On a motocross track, i think I have a bit of goon style right now.  Not intentional. 

This jump is actually part of a track that was made up in the hills.  Every strait away is wooped out.  There are some pretty nice sized berms but there are bad braking bumps coming into them and square edged woops coming out of them.  I have no problem keeping my speed up coming out of turns and up hills but down hill woops and braking bumps bring me to a crawl.  I really could use some advice on training or things to practice.  I do have a goal of eventually entering a Big6 or Grand Prix style race.  I dont plan on riding motocross all the time.  Just something fun to do.   I like jumping jumps in the hills and having groomed smooth jumps on a motocross track looks appealing

There is another local motocross track, I would love to go practice on but they dont seem to have regular hours and i have no idea when they are open. Honolulu Hills Raceway if anyone knows anything.

Any advice would be welcome.

• Like 1

I know I should probably just sack up and go for it.  Anyone else have this issue?

Edited by condor74

I know I should probably just sack up and go for it.  Anyone else have this issue?

Yeah, I have that issue often...  the older I get, the worse it gets ;-)

You take the video back down?

If I can't pace someone, let them "tow" me up...   Then I would hit it a little faster each time.  That second face doesn't look like it would be too harsh, even if you land with your front tire a couple of feet from the top.  When you get a couple of feet short, and you know it won't take much more, it'll be no problem.   For me, its more about knowing I can handle the consequences of coming up short.

Some doubles you have problems with coming up short...  that one shouldn't be bad.

A peaked landing you HAVE to get right...  That one you don't.  You can work up to it...

PS...  I'm older than you are, and that's what I'd do if I had issues with it :-)

Edit: When I say that it won't be too harsh coming up short, I mean that it might be a hard hit, but if you set up for it, knowing where you will land, you will have no problem riding it out.

Edited by 98cr250r

I didnt mean to take it down.  It is back now.

Yeah, that is kinda what is bugging me the most about it.  I should not be as nervous about it as I am.  If I come up short, I dont think it will hurt that bad.  It hurts much worse short jumping it the way I am now where i smack flat into the back of the landing. The gopro makes it look smaller than it is. 

Take your vagina, fold it and put it in your back pocket, hit jump lol I'm just playing it can be nerve wracking to hit a jump for the first time. Seem to be doing well just need to be goin a lil faster. as was said before kinda work your way up to it.... but when it comes down to it... your just gonna have to ball up and do it... And as soon as you do you'll realize.... wow that's not so bad!

• Like 1

in the video what are you landing like 2 bike lengths short of where you want to land? I usually roll jumps until i know what the face will do, and how fast i'm going to hit it. Then it's commit to the speed and go for it.

One thing that really helps me with picking my speed is while i'm doing test runs, don't look at the lip, but at the landing. Even if the lip gets in front of the landing keep looking at an imaginary spot through the lip. Roll it a few times doing that and see if you have any more confidence in how fast you have to hit it.

I picked this one out two weeks ago and went for it. Spotted it trying to land like flat on top when i should have been aiming for the tranny.  Sprained ankle...... You don't have to worry about that. Go for the OJ

suckstosuckfinal.jpg

Edited by Die_trying
  • Like 1

Take your vagina, fold it and put it in your back pocket, hit jump lol I'm just playing it can be nerve wracking to hit a jump for the first time. Seem to be doing well just need to be goin a lil faster. as was said before kinda work your way up to it.... but when it comes down to it... your just gonna have to ball up and do it... And as soon as you do you'll realize.... wow that's not so bad!

That is too funny.  I know it will be easy.  It is an ideal jump in that is ibig enough to look kind of impressive and you get to f;ly a bit but not too hard to do.  I am just having a mental block.  Once I do it, I will show some good video of it. 

in the video what are you landing like 2 bike lengths short of where you want to land? I usually roll jumps until i know what the face will do, and how fast i'm going to hit it. Then it's commit to the speed and go for it.

One thing that really helps me with picking my speed is while i'm doing test runs, don't look at the lip, but at the landing. Even if the lip gets in front of the landing keep looking at an imaginary spot through the lip. Roll it a few times doing that and see if you have any more confidence in how fast you have to hit it.

I picked this one out two weeks ago and went for it. Spotted it trying to land like flat on top when i should have been aiming for the tranny.  Sprained ankle...... You don't have to worry about that. Go for the OJ

suckstosuckfinal.jpg

In the video I wasnt actually making an attempt at it in the video.  That one was really just to show the jump.  I did make small run at it and just planted myself into the back of the landing.  I am not committing at the launch when I am going for it.  I have a habit of checking speed at the base of the jump and throttling off of it.  If I just kept it pinned all the way from the approach to the take off, I would probably just fly up to the landing.

Edited by condor74
  • Like 1

Are you in Bakersfield??? Looks like the foothills I ride in

Taft actually but if you wanted to come out and ride.

About 15 years ago or more, I used to ride all over the east side out by Mesa Merin and the old dump and at Hang glider Hill.  Last I heard you were not supposed to ride out there anymore.

In the video I wasnt actually making an attempt at it in the video.  That one was really just to show the jump.  I did make small run at it and just planted myself into the back of the landing.  I am not committing at the launch when I am going for it.  I have a habit of checking speed at the base of the jump and throttling off of it.  If I just kept it pinned all the way from the approach to the take off, I would probably just fly up to the landing.

ya i could tell you rolled it. how much further are you trying to go then where you landed? on top of that hump? Roll it over and over looking past the lip. At a certain point you know either you will nut up and hit this jump or walk away. Go ride some tracks, find some other jumps and get your confidence up.

ya i could tell you rolled it. how much further are you trying to go then where you landed? on top of that hump? Roll it over and over looking past the lip. At a certain point you know either you will nut up and hit this jump or walk away. Go ride some tracks, find some other jumps and get your confidence up.

Yeah just trying to get past the hump there.  I will try and go take some better pictures so you can get a better idea what it looks like.  Not that any of that will change the advice.  Just want to show that it looks slightly more impressive than it does on the video.

i used to hit all the jumps at my local track but now i cant get the confidence to even do the easiest one ( there are three jumps giving me trouble one is a triple other is a step down and other is a double, ) ive had bad experiences on all of them but i still did them and now i just cant, so me and you have a little in common in that we just need to pin it 

I ran into the same problem here last weekend at a race.. we showed up and they had build a new double,,, bigger than the old one.. I sailed right over it during practice laps, and the first 2 laps of the first moto...  Me and the leader were the only 2 doing it,,, I was in 3rd.. the 3rd lap in I hit the tiniest patch of mud at base of takeoff and the rear spun just enough that I COMPLETELY cased it... I though it was a nice rolling landing too, till my nuts were up on my chest and I was doing a superman on the second bounce. LOL...

Moral of the story is hit that bitch like you own it. If it was a tabletop you would be skying it. a double is just a table with the middle cut out.. And for the record, I did jump it every lap in the 2nd moto.  I try to picture the first try as if the jump isn't there and your just accelerating down the straight... accelerate through the jump and you will 99.999% of the time clear it...   There aren't too many tracks out there that have 3-4th gear pinned jumps.

Your jump looks like it might be a bit of a step up, so overjumping will be even less painful. LOL

Yes definitely a step up. I didn't get a chance to ride today. Tomorrow I will be busy most likely but over the weekend I hope to hit it.

I ran into the same problem here last weekend at a race.. we showed up and they had build a new double,,, bigger than the old one.. I sailed right over it during practice laps, and the first 2 laps of the first moto... Me and the leader were the only 2 doing it,,, I was in 3rd.. the 3rd lap in I hit the tiniest patch of mud at base of takeoff and the rear spun just enough that I COMPLETELY cased it... I though it was a nice rolling landing too, till my nuts were up on my chest and I was doing a superman on the second bounce. LOL...

Moral of the story is hit that bitch like you own it. If it was a tabletop you would be skying it. a double is just a table with the middle cut out.. And for the record, I did jump it every lap in the 2nd moto. I try to picture the first try as if the jump isn't there and your just accelerating down the straight... accelerate through the jump and you will 99.999% of the time clear it... There aren't too many tracks out there that have 3-4th gear pinned jumps.

Your jump looks like it might be a bit of a step up, so overjumping will be even less painful. LOL

DSC_0154_zps6999c92b.jpg Edited by condor74