Sign in to follow this  

Louisiana AZ desert racer, moving to NO area

Hey all.

I am a single track desert racer, from Arizona. I've raced in everything from AMRA, to AZOP, to WORCS, to Baja. You can find all of these series listed in the Arizona area forums. I'm an intermediate (Yellow plate is what I'm called in AZ) level racer and rider. I have raced and rode MX tracks, but its not really my thing.

Here in Az, there are thousands of riders, and hundreds of places to ride. Its crazy common. All my friends (and I do mean all) ride. We like to ride at least once a weekend, and I personally ride upwards of 4 times a week, during riding season.

Couple weeks ago, my son was born. I've recently decided to move to be closer to family, who all live in the NO area.

Once I decided to move, I started to look into riding in the NO area. And let me tell you, I'm very concerned. I simply do not see much riding. I see some MX tracks, and little to no single track / trail riding.

I found a series called the LACC which looks like it would be up my alley, from a couple years ago. I can't find anything recent, though.

Is there any trail or single track riding in New Orleans? Any clubs? Any single track, or trail racing series? I see tons and tons of land, and lots of pictures of quads, but no dirt bikes.

Can anyone help me. Point me to a club, or race series? Hook me up with other single track, or trail riders? Even a shop in town, that sells those bikes, will point me in a direction of people I can ride with. Anything at all would be helpful.

Thank you, so very much,

CK969

Check out www.MotoSouth.com , that's where most of the LACC discussion takes place.  There are places to ride but I don't think there's much in the New Orleans area, you'll need to travel to the middle of the state.  When are you moving? 

• Like 1

You better buy a mud tire or get ready to drive a few hours! Great trails around Alexandria, camp Livingston , camp Claiborne and a few others. Congrats on the new baby but you might not have much riding time for a little while!

Power-Dome, I'll be moving in a few months. House hunting right now. Thanks for the heads up on the forums about LACC. Are they still running that series? I can't find any youtube stuff, which is a shock. There are hundreds of videos on our racing out here, including a few dozen of my own, from when I was slower.

Thomas Liles, I'm ok with some mud. I'm really ok with anything, as long as I can ride. When you say a few hours, is that common? Riders have to drive hours to ride? I drive an hour, sometimes, now to ride, but most of the time, its within an hour to hit hundreds of locations here.

motodavermz450, How far is Ky from La? Maybe we can do a monthly meet up, and find places inbetween, to ride. I'll do amazing things to ride.

Edited by CK969

Yeah it's not like it used to be when you could jump on a pipeline and ride for hours. Sicily island has a cool park called catahoula rec area. It's small but has some trails that I wouldn't attempt. I usually drive at least an hour and a half which isn't that bad. I live in monroe and We've got a tree farm with about 8 miles of trails but I'm just burnt out on it. Your welcome to come ride at the farm anytime. Arkansas has some great trails I try to go up there as much as possible. I'm always ready for a road trip so just holler man we will figure something out

Try to find another area if you like riding, NO is a total bust unless you don't mind overnight trips after long multi-hour drives. Probably the worst area in LA for a rider.

Thomas Liles - I am very down with riding with you. Sometimes, even on an old tired trail, new rider blood can liven things up. I'm ok with travelling a few hours to ride, every once in a while. Especially if the ridings worth it.

YHGEORGE - That is very sad to hear. I have no options about 'where' I'm moving, as I'm bringing my new born son to my parents area, to raise him near to my family. They live outside NO, so thats where I am going.

As for trails, can't we make our own? During my house hunting, I see all this open land on google maps. I've spent many hours helping cut race courses, and new trails, all over the state of AZ. And I see quads riding all over. If they can ride, then so can we, on dirt bikes. We just need to link a few of the double track trails together, and off we go. I'll make my own, if I have to, once I understand all the local laws about such things.

I've been waiting to get accepted on 'motosouth' forums, where the LACC guys post. I'll be posting a similar post there, to this one. See if I can get a few of us NO/BR guys together. There can't be an entire race series, and racers from that area, without there being at least a few places to ride.

Thank you all so very much. I can't wait to meet you all, and bang some bars in the swamp.

CK969

• Like 1

All private land usually hostile to d-bikers. Hunting clubs have 107% of that land leased up and you don't ever want to disturb a crazy, liquored up Cajun holding a shotgun. There are a couple HS events within reasonable driving distance, otherwise you will be making long treks to MS, FL or AL. IF DB is a really big part of your life you will be depressed quickly. That area of the country is beyond conservative concerning sport and us DB'rs are considered kooks not to be associated with. Stick and ball, hunting and fishing are the only sports socially acceptable to most. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

Edited by YHGEORGE

I live about 45 minutes from NO I do mostly mx but hit trails every once in a while with my neighbor. There really isn't much near NO except the spillway which is mainly a free ride area, fun in the sand areas though. Most of your trails will be atleast an hour drive away though.

Full throttle mx in Hammond has a track and some trails. Some of the tracks do have some trails.

Most of those open trees are probably marsh, or private and they probly wouldn't let you ride there.

Edited by LAYZ71