Sign in to follow this  

Glide/Skid plate and pads

Which do you guys prefer? I would like plastic or CF but am not 100% against alum. Bike is used for MX only so I want to avoid adding a bunch of weight for the minimal amount of protection that I need. I like the look of the Acerbis plate because it has the case guards built in and they are high on the priority list as well for me. However fit and finish remains #1. Lightspeed is expensive but I will go that route if it works and lasts.

Edit: also need info on the best brake pads out there. I've always run OEM Honda pads on my Yz's. Don't care about life span... just want the best stopping power.

Edited by BDubb106

Litespeed works and lasts ...for me it did on 2 bikes. The only downside is that when rocks hit it the sound is awful and the finish gets blasted off. After a season you will have a few areas where the raw fibers are coming through. Surprisingly it's still holding up.

Sweet, thanks. Where did you find the full coverage plate? Everywhere I've seen them you have to buy the glide plate and then buy the case guards separate.

we went with the works connection glide plate, fit is very good.  seems well made and the mounting system is very secure....seems about the same price......

some reviews on the plastic ones left me concerned about falling off.....the light speed look sweet new, but beat after a while.... 

probably be your personal preference or deal you can get....

Instead of starting another thread I just edited this thread...

What pads provide the best stopping power? I don't care about the life span of the pads, I just want the type of feel the OEM Honda pads (which I run on my Yz's) provide. Instant stopping power with little effort and hold up to heat well. 

Sweet, thanks. Where did you find the full coverage plate? Everywhere I've seen them you have to buy the glide plate and then buy the case guards separate.

I got this from WPS. Well a buddy who is a vender for WPS. I can put you in contact w him if you would like. I definitely got a deal on it.

I am sure he can knock a few bucks (30-40) off but if I were you I would go Acerbis anyway. That's what I am going to run next. I will see what I can find.

I am sure he can knock a few bucks (30-40) off but if I were you I would go Acerbis anyway. That's what I am going to run next. I will see what I can find.

I think that is what I'll do.

Some places show a cycra unit, if I ever want one of these I'll try that one out...liking it is grey. The acerbis piece looks good too, as does that LS carbon one you have Mike.

Some places show a cycra unit, if I ever want one of these I'll try that one out...liking it is grey. The acerbis piece looks good too, as does that LS carbon one you have Mike.

I was originally looking for a cycra plate but couldn't find one anywhere. Hook me up with a link Gary! I can't even find one listed on their site for the RMZ Edited by BDubb106
  • Like 1

I was originally looking for a cycra plate but couldn't find one anywhere. Hook me up with a link Gary! I can't even find one listed on their site for the RMZ

Only links I could find are overseas, black or grey full coverage. I'll call them tomorrow as I want to have a grey one. I see there site only has the glide plate. I'll let ya know.

Only links I could find are overseas, black or grey full coverage. I'll call them tomorrow as I want to have a grey one. I see there site only has the glide plate. I'll let ya know.

Cool. If you order one maybe it would be cheaper to just order both of them together. International shipping is usually pretty expensive so we could just split it. Then of course it would be pretty cheap for shipping from you and I could just pay you for that. Just let me know if that's something you are interested in doing. Idk really. I try to avoid buying internationally for that very reason.
  • Like 1

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/2013-suzuki-rmz450--MOOSE-PRO-SKID-PLATE

This is the plate I use for woods/scrambles. It has great coverage and is really thick. I was skeptical due to the plastic design, but so far after almost 30 hours of hard use, it is still holding up great. It has good coverage on the engine sides. You may be able to find it cheaper on ebay. I ordered mine from my local dealer for around $100.

Cool. If you order one maybe it would be cheaper to just order both of them together. International shipping is usually pretty expensive so we could just split it. Then of course it would be pretty cheap for shipping from you and I could just pay you for that. Just let me know if that's something you are interested in doing. Idk really. I try to avoid buying internationally for that very reason.

Called Cycra technical, here's the deal...some places have fitted other brands to our machines and will sell them as an RMZ unit. The bracket apparently will work and it fits. I'm not taking the chance, I would want it to fit like it's made for the bike. Interesting convo too, the guy said the '15 will have all new plastics and they plan to engineer for it and perhaps some of new stuff could work with our frames models. He said Zooks are more popular in Europe than here but the new 15 will probably do well here.