Sign in to follow this  

Thinking of Selling my DRZ.... Should I?

So I'm still trying to decide whether or not I should get a different bike for the style of riding I want to do. I ride everyday to get around town and on the weekends go trail riding. Right now, I'm a poor college student and can only afford the up keep of one bike, otherwise I would find a me 2 stroke and call it day. I've thought about selling my bike and saving for a KTM 450 exc but I'm still not sure about maintenance and other issues that may arise. I've already put loads of work into my DRZ, the power is there but its still a fat pig. LOL. 

Opinions would be great! I'm still on the fence about this and could use some persuading one way or another.

I picked up a new '12 400S at the beginning of '13 and have also thought about selling her off.  The only reason I hang on to it is because of all the money I've put into it between buying it new and adding lots of aftermarket parts.  I have several other bikes, and this one "overlaps" some of my others, so it wouldn't be a big deal to send it down the road.  I HATE the DRZ on any pavement other than around town (I ride my KLR on road), so I've basically relegated the DRZ to dirt only duties and I already have a YZ250 2T so I could definitely do without the DRZ.  I will say though, that the DRZ does well for the majority of off road riding I do which is mostly dirt roads and two track.  When I do single track, I ride my YZ.  

However, based on your statement of "I ride everyday to get around town and on the weekends go trail riding. Right now, I'm a poor college student and can only afford the up keep of one bike, otherwise I would find a me 2 stroke and call it day.", leads me to believe its a primary means of transportation, so if that's the case, I would hold on to it for now.  As indifferent as I am to my bike, the DRZ is an economical and dependable work horse that's cheap and easy to maintain and will run forever if taken care of.  In my part of the country a decent Japanese 2T can be found for 1500 to 2K so I would say ride the DRZ until you're finished up with college but look for a decent used 2T.  When your done with college, treat yourself to that new KTM.   

IMG_1586_zpsaff2fa35.jpg

• Like 5

I picked up a new '12 400S at the beginning of '13 and have also thought about selling her off. The only reason I hang on to it is because of all the money I've put into it between buying it new and adding lots of aftermarket parts. I have several other bikes, and this one "overlaps" some of my others, so it wouldn't be a big deal to send it down the road. I HATE the DRZ on any pavement other than around town (I ride my KLR on road), so I've basically relegated the DRZ to dirt only duties and I already have a YZ250 2T so I could definitely do without the DRZ. I will say though, that the DRZ does well for the majority of off road riding I do which is mostly dirt roads and two track. When I do single track, I ride my YZ.

However, based on your statement of "I ride everyday to get around town and on the weekends go trail riding. Right now, I'm a poor college student and can only afford the up keep of one bike, otherwise I would find a me 2 stroke and call it day.", leads me to believe its a primary means of transportation, so if that's the case, I would hold on to it for now. As indifferent as I am to my bike, the DRZ is an economical and dependable work horse that's cheap and easy to maintain and will run forever if taken care of. In my part of the country a decent Japanese 2T can be found for 1500 to 2K so I would say ride the DRZ until you're finished up with college but look for a decent used 2T. When your done with college, treat yourself to that new KTM.

IMG_1586_zpsaff2fa35.jpg

me too :-)ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398818519.546399.jpg
  • Like 1

I picked up a new '12 400S at the beginning of '13 and have also thought about selling her off.  The only reason I hang on to it is because of all the money I've put into it between buying it new and adding lots of aftermarket parts.  I have several other bikes, and this one "overlaps" some of my others, so it wouldn't be a big deal to send it down the road.  I HATE the DRZ on any pavement other than around town (I ride my KLR on road), so I've basically relegated the DRZ to dirt only duties and I already have a YZ250 2T so I could definitely do without the DRZ.  I will say though, that the DRZ does well for the majority of off road riding I do which is mostly dirt roads and two track.  When I do single track, I ride my YZ.  

However, based on your statement of "I ride everyday to get around town and on the weekends go trail riding. Right now, I'm a poor college student and can only afford the up keep of one bike, otherwise I would find a me 2 stroke and call it day.", leads me to believe its a primary means of transportation, so if that's the case, I would hold on to it for now.  As indifferent as I am to my bike, the DRZ is an economical and dependable work horse that's cheap and easy to maintain and will run forever if taken care of.  In my part of the country a decent Japanese 2T can be found for 1500 to 2K so I would say ride the DRZ until you're finished up with college but look for a decent used 2T.  When your done with college, treat yourself to that new KTM.   

IMG_1586_zpsaff2fa35.jpg

Bouncer, that lake is beautiful! What a nice area to be able to ride in.....envy setting in here. :cool:

• Like 2

from my experiences with friends that own KTMs, if you are broke a KTM isn't for you...haha.  Lots of maintenance and broken parts on all their bikes.  DRZ seems to be just about bulletproof!

• Like 4

I've tried to sell my bike a few times........not enough money to make me do it.

• Like 2

No way.....They'r cheap to insure, repair, maintain, & ride.   :naughty:

Yeh, some call the Z a pig, but to me she's Miss Piggy! and beautiful. :lol:

• Like 2

I'm thinking of getting a second bike in addition to the DRZ. Wanna get an older cruiser and bob it or something. As long as you're not going long distances, the DRZ handles everything really well in my opinion.

• Like 1

I had a YZ 450F that I rode until I finished my DRZ 434 build, once I completed the DRZ I never rode the 450F anymore. I found the engine on the DRZ to be plenty fast after the 50HP package, and the electric start to be wonderful. Even after the 50hp package installed the DRZ was much more tolerant of waiting on other riders without getting hot. Sold the 450F and really never thought much more about it. That was 2 years ago, and can do everything on my DRZ that I could on any other bike I have owned woods wise and I have owned many. I dont find the DRZ to be heavy, but I am 6ft 250lbs currently and 225lbs at race weight.

Fofiddy.jpg

DRZbirfday010.jpg

Edited by Bobbed06
  • Like 2

I sold mine a year ago and while I love my CRF-450R, I miss the DRZ all around more. I did get a FZ-09 though too.

Seriously, go get a second bike cheap or new and keep the DRZ. I wish I had.

• Like 2

Keep the DRZ.

It's paid for. It costs next to nothing to maintain and goes everywhere you want to go.

You are in SCHOOL! You make NO money (or you do, then pocket it, you're laughing compared to everyone else).

You won't make squat for money off the drz compared to what you put into it.

Splurge and buy a new set of tires or a small mod that you want.

I would say buying a new (or used) bike while in school is down right stupid.

I've been through lots of schooling and seen a lot of guys drop out due to financial reasons.

Buying a new bike will strain your financials and could even end up in you dropping out of school.

It may sound harsh but school pays if you graduate, not before.

When you're making $150k a year a couple years after school, you can buy all the toys you want.

• Like 2

You must not want to sell it if your asking a drz 400 forum if you should sell it. We're not all gonna come on here and be like "ya that bikes a pile I'd never own one!" lmao

• Like 4

from my experiences with friends that own KTMs, if you are broke a KTM isn't for you...haha.  Lots of maintenance and broken parts on all their bikes.  DRZ seems to be just about bulletproof!

Well ... Yeah ..errrr Nah

You need to be able to to Afford the Maintenance , if you keep on top of the maintenance .. You're good .

Personally the only Ktm I would be interested in is the 2T

• Like 1

I sold mine a year ago and while I love my CRF-450R, I miss the DRZ all around more. I did get a FZ-09 though too.

Seriously, go get a second bike cheap or new and keep the DRZ. I wish I had.

Yeah .. I have a CRF too , they Rip :thumbsup:

Just Sold my DRZ recently ..Dirt Dirt Cheap

Im in the same boat...   really liking the FZ-09 and want to get one,  put me DRZ on CL as a feeler and got someone who wants to get it,  told him i gotta think about it,  i just do not think i can give up the off roading,  as i do it every weekend...

Cant have 2 bikes,  no $....

• Like 1

i just did bb cams and fcr, and now i want a ktm 690 to motard it. ill keep the drz for a while since i have money in it. i know the feeling

• Like 1

You can't get much cheaper than a Deezer to own and operate.

If you're broke, you'd be nuts to sell it.

• Like 1