Sign in to follow this  

Bike splutters at 50-70% throttle

Hi guys today I picked up a second hand 2005 kx85. 

I looked on the net quite a bit before buying it to get as much info as I could to avoid any problems, one of the things I searched up was what oil:fuel ratio to use (I have read the sticky too!) and they said the manual recommends 32:1 but 40:1 is OK for what I was using it for (field use). 

I went with 125ml oil (http://www.fekiauto.hu/arukep/Q8_Olajok_Q8_Scooter_2T__1L.jpg) for 5 liters of fuel and off I went, I noticed almost instantly in 1st gear it would splutter but whenever it did so I would knock it up into the next gear, after around 1 hr of riding I realized this definitely is not right so decided to head on home, the bike was used for probably 1 hour 20 minutes and at this point the bike wouldn't start. I think this is probably due to the fact I forgot to fill the radiator (oops) and it overheated.

I checked the spark plug, it is BLACK and contacted the seller and he said he ran it at 25:1. What is the problem here? Should I try 32:1 oil ratio and give it a second try or do you think there is another problem?

Hi guys today I picked up a second hand 2005 kx85. 

I looked on the net quite a bit before buying it to get as much info as I could to avoid any problems, one of the things I searched up was what oil:fuel ratio to use (I have read the sticky too!) and they said the manual recommends 32:1 but 40:1 is OK for what I was using it for (field use). 

I went with 125ml oil (http://www.fekiauto.hu/arukep/Q8_Olajok_Q8_Scooter_2T__1L.jpg) for 5 liters of fuel and off I went, I noticed almost instantly in 1st gear it would splutter but whenever it did so I would knock it up into the next gear, after around 1 hr of riding I realized this definitely is not right so decided to head on home, the bike was used for probably 1 hour 20 minutes and at this point the bike wouldn't start. I think this is probably due to the fact I forgot to fill the radiator (oops) and it overheated.

I checked the spark plug, it is BLACK and contacted the seller and he said he ran it at 25:1. What is the problem here? Should I try 32:1 oil ratio and give it a second try or do you think there is another problem?

i think that would give it more oil and cause it to splutter more? i run my 125 at 25:1 and its fine. might be your jetting. i might be wrong though