Sign in to follow this  

can a motocross track be profitable

Have always dreamed of owning my own motocross track and having races and practice days. But is it something that could actually make some money too? I live in northwest al. And realize there are a bunch of different variables to a track being successful or not. So im just asking in a general way. I have also had the idea of maybe just a practice track with a small shop on the tracks property. The shop just being for parts and accessories and maybe some minor repairs.

Will be very interested in others thoughts on this. Thanks

I would think you'd be lucky to break even. The machinery is takes to build and maintain a proper track that will get people to pay 30-50 bucks a day (in my area) to ride is a huge expense. Bulldozer, excavator, watering truck, fuel, repairs... That's not even considering what the insurance rates would be.

I wish there was money in it, if there was I bet there would be a lot more tracks out there.

• Like 4

I would think you'd be lucky to break even. The machinery is takes to build and maintain a proper track that will get people to pay 30-50 bucks a day (in my area) to ride is a huge expense. Bulldozer, excavator, watering truck, fuel, repairs... That's not even considering what the insurance rates would be.

I wish there was money in it, if there was I bet there would be a lot more tracks out there.

The overhead to owning your own track is huge.

Considering you need a water truck that holds 40,000 plus gallons you have to disk doze maintain etc...

On the otherhand. Stay open 365 days a week to people that want to come in. Charge low fees for practicing and a gate fee plus race fee to race.

Tracks are profitable at some standpoint.

Don't forget you have to hold a minimum million dollar insurance on it. Also need to have the zoning and property for it.

With business comes help with road repairs etc...

That's all in good faith.

Yes you can make money. But the dirt and start up fees are going to tank you... unless you have good backing that is.

If it is a dream. I say pursue it. It may be a huge hit.. or a bust...

But in the end you can't lose. Because you will have a track no matter what.

Just remember. When you build thst track. Don't build it how YOU want. Build it HOW THEY WANT.

But also make sure it is correct.

• Like 2

Theres a small amateur track around here run by a guy who owns the local honda shop, $15 a day or $100 for the year and it uses the trust system. SIgn a waiver when you pay and the track is always open. Its maintained but probably not like pro tracks are. its also small and pretty amateur but still super fun and great for beginners and he said he usually makes a little money from it. only has a few races a year though

No, there is no money in owing a track...

For the amount of money it would take for startup, go buy a Subway and live happy...

Edited by Monk
  • Like 3

This place just opened around here last fall.

http://www.oakridgemx.com/

https://www.facebook.com/OakRidgeMx

They've only had two practice days so far, but they've had turnouts of 300-400 each time.  Keep in mind the next nearest place to ride like this is well over 200 miles away.  From what I've read, this guy got community (maybe state??) backing and funding before really starting.  The land was fairly prime to begin with making it a natural terrain park and a pond for a water source that can be pumped up hill to holding tanks.

That being said, we will see how well it is doing in a few more years.  It might be that rare success story.  Right now it's all the buzz since it's new and fairly restricted as to when it's open.  But I agree with everyone else.  There is a lot of overhead for a place like this when you consider equipment, land value, property taxes, insurance... it all adds up in a hurry.

Edited by yz250f_spud

This place just opened around here last fall.

http://www.oakridgemx.com/

https://www.facebook.com/OakRidgeMx

They've only had two practice days so far, but they've had turnouts of 300-400 each time.  Keep in mind the next nearest place to ride like this is well over 200 miles away.  From what I've read, this guy got community (maybe state??) backing and funding before really starting.  The land was fairly prime to begin with making it a natural terrain park and a pond for a water source that can be pumped up hill to holding tanks.

That being said, we will see how well it is doing in a few more years.  It might be that rare success story.  Right now it's all the buzz since it's new and fairly restricted as to when it's open.  But I agree with everyone else.  There is a lot of overhead for a place like this when you consider equipment, land value, property taxes, insurance... it all adds up in a hurry.

community backing is a winner for sure. depending on how many people ride where you live, again the closest mx park around and how much competition could be a winner as well.

if you are the only one within a few hundred miles, or the 2nd one, but not as big... but are open more and a little cheaper... you are the main guy.. maybe not the guy they go to for racing but the guy that makes the dough all week.

Have always dreamed of owning my own motocross track and having races and practice days. But is it something that could actually make some money too?

I would think that if you already owed the land free and clear, there’s money to be made. If you have to buy the land under a mortgage, forget it.

Considering you need a water truck that holds 40,000 plus gallons…..

No such thing exists. 40,000 gallons of water weighs something like 334,000 pounds.

• Like 4

I think it would be awesome to own operate a track for public use at a daily rate, if I hit the lottery. It would be a lot of upkeep, insurance would kill it, maybe an insurance waiver signed by the rider stating it is an "at your own risk" kinda deal like they do at horse show & events. And a powerful attorney on retainer. Eh...just dreaming. Ill pay $15 to crash on somebody elses track invest in Advil stock.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replys. I had called once about insurance and was told it depended on how many races you have. And that the insurance was some kind of event coverage. But i never asked about just a practice track.it seems around here in northwest al. That practice days are becoming more popular than the actual races. I wonder then when you sign the waiver do they still have insurance or is signing the waiver all you need? Thanks again

• Like 1

Thanks for the replys. I had called once about insurance and was told it depended on how many races you have. And that the insurance was some kind of event coverage. But i never asked about just a practice track.it seems around here in northwest al. That practice days are becoming more popular than the actual races. I wonder then when you sign the waiver do they still have insurance or is signing the waiver all you need? Thanks again

Even a practice only track needs insurance. Waiver or not, it’s inevitable, some pinhead is going to get hurt and sue.

I got tore up bad in 2006 at a practice day. My health insurance company wanted to sue the track owner. They didn’t, but the thought crossed their mind.

Even a practice only track needs insurance. Waiver or not, it’s inevitable, some pinhead is going to get hurt and sue.

I got tore up bad in 2006 at a practice day. My health insurance company wanted to sue the track owner. They didn’t, but the thought crossed their mind.

Exactly the waiver is only a signature of personal liability

The track still has to carry insurance in the event of break in free rides and what not. Innocent bystanders and so much more.

And it can be profitable. Look the theories we are giving you are offset. They are not based on financial regularities. They are based on opinion. Even someone who has failed can't say more.

Like I said.

If you have the land that's a huge step. If not. Find cheap land. It is profitable to a big margin depending on assets owned and overhead goes up with assets being aqquired.

The big factor is.. how many tracks to riders. Can you beat the others out. Or is there a competition at all.

Do you have track schematics?

Jump geometry or know algorithm?

Not simple as just throwing dirt up 40 ft or 50 ft. There is a lot of thought and prep work.

Those are all key factors in it. Those are just the basis. There is merely 1000 more you have to judge and appraise and so forth to figure out if you want to put forth everything to do.

The possibilities are endless.

Below are photos of a track that is put together well. Not much to see but you get the drift

1398914592143.jpg

1398914605717.jpg

From conversations I've had with John Beasley, owner of Budds Creek, no there isn't much money to be made as an owner of a track. In fact he had to open his track to more open practice days within the last few years to help generate more revenue.

But I get the feeling from talking with him, he isn't in it to get rich. He truly loves the sport.

Edited by MXRider72

Land aint cheap. Equipment aint cheap. Fuel for the equipment aint cheap. Maintenance for the track, facilities, grounds, and equipment aint cheap. Insurance aint cheap. Track crews aint cheap. You might be able to make the payments, but turning much of a profit is difficult, even for well established tracks.

• Like 1

You will also have to make a LLC (Limited Liability Corporation) , so that in the event some kid gets paralyzed or injured badly , that the parents/lawyers can not take your house and everything you own or will own or sue you personally

Also for any "Event" , you will have to have a Ambulance on hand with Paramedics , usually you have to pay for them to be there during the extent of the event   , I know someone who has built and run tracks , and he mainly uses Farm equipment to maintain the track itself , with the exception of dozers to build jumps or specialty areas of the track  , a 4,000 gallon water truck is sufficient , but you would have to layout the track in such a way that the truck has access to the entire track without screwing up the track  , and/or you need to incorporate a watering system via well with on demand pumps to run the sprinklers or large capacity tanks (30,000 gallons at least for 1 good watering of the track , IF you only water 1 track that is about 1 1/2 -2 1/4 miles in length which is what a true MX track should be in length)

You also have Zoning , neighbors that may file a complaint because of  too much dust , or noise , or they just dont like you and have nothing better to do , and they usually win) county , environmental impact  , the list goes on

That is not counting the insurance as mentioned , and personally unless you have about 6 figures to start out with to spend on maintenance and running the facility per year at minimum , which does not include the purchase of the land or the purchase or rental costs of the equipment or and infrastructure you might need , like bleachers , fences or track border (the entire track most likely will have to be fenced where spectators will be present), you might want to do as others have mentioned and open a Subway  , you will make more money and not spend as much to get it going and recoup your investment

Its not as easy as you would hope

Edited by 450XJimDirt

Thats to bad it is so complicated with all the lawyers and insurance crap. I dont own the land but land is fairly cheap around me. I actually had thought of investing in a rental house with some land attached to it. Then rent the house to cover the investment. Making sure of course the renter has no problem with a track. Dream rental for a moto head. I could afford that part but if trying to satisfy all the red tape crap and worried about being sued. I guess i will just make a small personal track for myself and a few very trust worthy freinds to ride on. Im sure the maintenance wouldnt be to bad for just a couple bikes. Thanks for the advice. Maybe if one day i become a gazillionaire i will build a dream track. But for now i guess reality will be the call

No, there is no money in owing a track...

For the amount of money it would take for startup, go buy a Subway and live happy...

Maybe 2 or 3 subways