Sign in to follow this  

It's a DRZ-125, not a DRZ-125L

I found out today that the dealer sold me a DRZ-125, not a DRZ-125L. Last summer when I purchased a new 2013 DR650 from the same dealer, I sat on a DRZ-125L which he had on his showroom floor. I have a 30" inseam and my feet were barely flat-footing it. When I went in this March I was looking to purchase a DRZ-125L, not a DRZ-125. In fact, the dealer told me he never carried any DRZ-125's and couldn't get me one even if I wanted one. But when I sat on the 2012 model he had in stock, it definitely didn't feel right. My feet were much more than flat-footing it. I asked him if he was sure it was a DRZ-125L and not a DRZ-125. He insisted it was a DRZ-125L and showed me the owner's manual titled "DR-Z125/L". I've only had the bike since middle March but it never seemed like the bike I sat on a year earlier. So I decided to check the tire sizes against the DRZ-125 and DRZ-125L specifications. Sure enough, the tire sizes were those of a DRZ-125. I called Suzuki customer service, provided them the VIN and they confirmed it is a DRZ-125, not a DRZ-125L. I believe it was an honest mistake made by the dealer. I believe he truly thought it was a DRZ-125L. But now what to do. I got a really good price on the bike but that's not my main consideration. I either like the bike or I don't. Even though it wasn't what I thought I was buying, I'm leaning toward keeping it. Main reason is that I'm more comfortable with the lower seat height. I'm 65 years old and I'm not going to do any kind of riding that I'll bottom out the suspension. This is strictly a play bike for me. If I want to kill or severely injury myself, I'll do it on the DR650. Last year I came close to doing that twice. Based on my planned usage of the DRZ, can anyone provide me a good reason why I would want the DRZ-125L over the DRZ-125? Again, strictly a play bike on easy trails with the lower seat on the DRZ-125 being more user friendly for a 30" inseam than the higher seat on the DRZ-125L. Anything I'm missing keeping the DRZ-125 over the DRZ-125L? Any thoughts would be appreciated.  

Totally forgot I asked this same question earlier. It looked like the front disc brake on the DRZ-125L was the only significant advantage over the DRZ-125. Haven't received a call back from the dealer yet. Can't say what he'll do about this situation. Maybe give me full credit of what I paid for the DRZ-125 towards the DRZ-125L with additional charge delta for the DRZ-125L. Maybe not. But even if I get full credit back I'll probably have to pay at least $500 or more for the DRZ-125L. So the question comes down to whether the disc brake is worth an extra $500 or more. In the current situation I'm in, I would think not.   

What does the sales receipt say on it ?  You're in America land of the lawyer. 

I've left my small wheel as is but I did put an early 90's RM80 front end on with a disk brake. That conversion takes about an hour and can be done for way less than $500.  Nothing wrong with the small wheels if the bike fits.

What does the sales receipt say on it ?  You're in America land of the lawyer. 

I've left my small wheel as is but I did put an early 90's RM80 front end on with a disk brake. That conversion takes about an hour and can be done for way less than $500.  Nothing wrong with the small wheels if the bike fits.

The sales receipt shows the part number as MOTDRZ125L2 and the description as new Suzuki 125DRZL2. Suzuki Customer service says the "L" has nothing to do with it being an "L" model. The "L2" signifies it as being a 2012 model and nothing else. So why the hell does Suzuki put an "L" in the part number other than just confuse it as possibly being an L model? In any case, per Suzuki Customer service, the VIN and part number clearly identify it as being a DRZ and not a DRZ?L. I also checked the list price of $2,999 on the sales receipt and that clearly identifies it as being the list price for a 2012 DRZ, not a DRZL. And then to make it even better no where in the Suzuki owner's manual does it talk about the manual applying to both a DRZ and a DRZL until you go to the last page and different tire specifications are shown. And even there it shows DR-Z125L applying to one tire size and the model for the other tire size being left blank. Are you suppose to guess that there is such a thing as a DRZ125 model which is different than a DR-Z125L model? In any case, all written documentation I have identifies the bike as being a DRZ, not a DRZL. So legally, I have nothing and it all comes down to the good faith of the dealer. But what pisses me off is that I specifically asked him at the time if he was sure it was a DRZL because I told him it felt much lower to the ground than the bike I sat on a year earlier. It looked like the tires were a little soft and I was wearing winter shoes instead of sneakers the year before. So I attributed this to the bike feeling lower to the ground. But I did get the bike for $2,200 instead of the list price of $3,000. If he calls, I suppose I'll tell him I'm satisfied with the bike even though he told me it was a DRZL at the time. I don't know if he can even remember what he said back then.