Sign in to follow this  

Newbie questions 450 exc !

Hi guys n gals

What the previous owner did- desmog ,jd get kit and the exhaust says xcf on it .

Questions #1-I've been riding my 2010 exc 450 around town n haven't done much dirt but the tires are 90% off and 10%on .and haven't been getting good fuel mileage .probly 2 tanks of fuel in less then 10hr on the bike.

This normal ?

if the packing in the exhaust is needs replacing could that effect anything?

Question # 2-when should the fan come on ? Haven't heard it come on since if ridden it.

Any info would be great.thanks eh!

You'd be better off measuring fuel consumption with distance travelled, but 2 tanks in 10 hrs doesn't sound excessive. The fan will come on automatically if it is wired through a temp sensor. You can check the fan by shorting the temp switch terminals.

My experience is that the temp switch is the first thing to fail, I've had to replace it on my 450 XCW.  

If you're riding on the street a lot, this time of year, the fan may not come on too often.  You can check it easily by starting your bike and letting it run in your garage so it gets warm quickly.  

If it is jetted correctly the fan will typically come on less than stock jetting. You should check it just to be sure it runs.

Open up that JD jet kit and d the paperwork and be sure you have the jetting correct for your alt and temp. you never know what was done prevoisly.

My bike used with 73 miles on it came with a JD jet kit that had been opened but the correct jetting was never installed.

I believe all the mufflers are stamped XCF.

Ya haven't heard the fan come on at all .dont think its over heated yet.owner didn't give me any paper work with it for the jet kit .

When I cleaned the carb I noticed it had a 175 main jet.

Gonna pep lace the battery .any good cheap battery's ?? Yausa would be nice

If you have a heat gun, heat the temp switch, use a laser temp gun to see when it comes on / off. That's how I checked mine, because it's never come on. If it gets past 195 or so, might start troubleshooting. with proper jetting it shouldn't come on unless your below 5-7 mph for extended periods.

It depends on your climate too. When it was cooler here, 70's, my fan would only run after going slow. Last weekend temps were in the upper 80's to lower 90's and the fan ran almost the entire time I was in the trails going 20-30 mph. This is on a 2014 500exc, stock except desmog and tps tweaked.

Ya haven't heard the fan come on at all .dont think its over heated yet.owner didn't give me any paper work with it for the jet kit .

When I cleaned the carb I noticed it had a 175 main jet.

Gonna pep lace the battery .any good cheap battery's ?? Yausa would be nice

JD jet kit comes with different needles and a few jets along with some a spcer and an O-ring. did you get the rest of the kit or did he just say it had a JD kit.

Jetting will be different with JD needles and stock needle.

JD jet kit comes with different needles and a few jets along with some a spcer and an O-ring. did you get the rest of the kit or did he just say it had a JD kit.

Jetting will be different with JD needles and stock needle.

Ya previous owner said it had a jet kick .just got bike with ownership and manual and stock tank as it has larger tank .

I know its running rich as the plug is black . I bought the bike from a town where the altitude is 1000 ft higher than where I live. Should I just buy new jet kit?

and battery will only start the bkke when is warm doesn't feel strong .thanks !

I would buy a new JD jet kit as it will have the jetting chart, needles etc. Best and easiest way to get your bike running correctly.

If the battery only works when warm just get a new battery. Once that start going bad that's it. Keep it charged on a Battery tender and you should get a solid 3-4 years out of it.

Do the later bikes run well with the OCEMP needle? That is known as one of the best needles for the RFS'.

Thanks!! Where n what make is good n cheap