Sign in to follow this  

stock 14 YZ450 sag issues, help please

Picked up my new YZ, the bike felt super stiff.  sag was 3 3/8". I weigh about 165

After backing off 4 full turns I'm at about 3 7/8" or sag. The free sag is 1 5/8". 

Here's my confussion. The book says the free length of the spring is 275mm. Stock spring length should be 265mm (10 mm from free length)

After backing off 4 turns on the adjuster ring it's at 10 1/8", or 257mm.  Not making sense! Each turn is 1.5mm. I backed it off 6 mm, and I'm still 8 mm away from where the book calls stock spring length. 

Am I good with stock springs? I'm a vet B rider, always liked stiffer suspension. 

Thanks for any input, either I'm off or someone at the factory twisted the nut too much..I don't really care, I just want to have the right spring/sag

You need a lighter spring. Free sag should be 1 3/8", your rider sag will be too little.

Have you tried completely backing off the preload collar to measure actual free spring length?

Edited by Camstyn

no, that's a good idea, will do. I knew I was light, but didn't think I was that light.

Something is off with factory specs, maybe I got a stiff spring

I will check it out, thanks

They have very stiff springs and valving