Sign in to follow this  

Should i buy?

My first post!!

I have been reading around on here a bit lately as i have been searching for my first bike. And i found a deal that sounds pretty good. 

Here is the description...

1997 Yamaha YZ 125 
Blew the piston out of it, just needs a new one! 
Top end is in ok condition will work fine if you put a 
piston inside it. 
Re-sleeve the top end can be done but not really required. 
Yamaha is a racing bike before it went, the top end is bondi. 

After talking with the owner for awhile. Here is what i have found, it's his brothers bike so info is very vague. I guess he blew the piston and left a small mark on the cylinder wall. Now i have already priced out a new sleeve and total cost is close to 450 here. 

Bike still has the cylinder off, with all parts in a bag. Thats about all i got. Oh and he removed the front brake, it was sold.

He's asking $700, i talked him down to 600 due to it being just over an hour drive. Would you guys jump on this? I have mixed feelings as i feel the bikes been neglected.

haha guess i checked back too late. I bought it. 

Looks like it needs some work...obveously. 

cylinder needs replaced, it has a small scratch. However i may buy a cheap piston and see how much compression i can get as is.

Stripped it right down tonight and pulled the carb etc, and checked the crank. All seems good, I have no play on my connecting rod, and the crank spins nice and smooth. 

I need to replace the clutch cable forsure, and brake pads. I am new to dirt bikes and the shift lever seems to be acting funny, here is my video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jEK1dOGY0

Any pointers on what to replace while its apart? Kind of a budget build i dont want more than 1200 into it. so Far 550 in.

perfect, thanks for clearing that up. 

You have to be moving the rear wheel for the transmission to be able to go thru all of the gears.

It looks like the powervalve may have hit the piston, to me. The same thing happened to my friends, twice. Then he sold it to me.

Yours would probably run without a new cylinder but not very well. Get a manual. Check the PV clearance on the new cylinder. When they wear, they wear themselves  toward the piston.

I use photobucket for pics but your vids work fine also.

You could replate the cylinder for less than a new one if it's in otherwise good condition. I would replace the upper rod bearing and of course new gaskets. Replace or repair whatever else needs it hard to say with out seeing it so you ll have to figure that out. Maybe just fix up the topend and then get the carb tuned and the air filter clean and ride it a bit but personally, since your going to be waiting on the jug anyway, I would remove the swingarm shock and linkage to check on the bearings and if they're good clean and regrease the bearings, axle, swingarm pivot ect. Maybe have a look at the clutch too worn basket and/or plates= very common. But either way definitely check that power valve out before you run a new piston in a freshly replated cylinder. Read a few first topend threads before reassembly too to make sure you know all the little things.

Buy a new top end and send the piston with the cylinder to US Chrome or Millennium. I used US Chrome this last time and they were wonderful. Millenium is also well known for a reason.

I would do exactly as rr125 said. Clutch and suspension bearings. When I bought my 250 I ended up buying a new swing arm since the bearings were so neglected the aluminum bores were hammered and I could not get all the outer race pieces out.

The only thing to consider is possibly waiting on everything else till the motor runs and needs no more. The other thing I'd think of is how old is the crank? How many hours are on it. When in doubt I'd rather spend an extra couple hundred bucks now then be stranded or possibly worse, out the whole motor later.

Well, not positive on the hours, but the connecting rod is "hot rod" so it's deffinatly been rebuilt. There is no play at all in the lower rod bearing which is good. I will look for the clutch wear, since im changing the clutch cable anyway. Anyone have a good thread for what to look for on the basket? 

So far, my list is as follows...

clutch cable, rear brake pads and fluid, carb rebuild kit, new cylinder, piston, upper bearing, and gasket set. Oil change, and new rear sprocket and chain. 

And then hope she fires up haha. 

edit, looking up my 10th digit on my frame vin to be a W meaning this things a 98 not a 97. Looking up the engine vin too, sure enough a 98'

• Like 1