2014 KTM EXC 500 NOISY Clutch Hub

Great to be here with the Thumper Talk crowd!

I've ridden motorcycles for FIFTY years and owned 27, mostly dirt bikes.

Ridden everything from 60's era minibikes, to a Suzuki Hayabusa.

I worked on motorcycles for a living, for 10 years, and do all my own work.

This '14 KTM EXC 500 is my third big bore EXC ( '07, '09 also).

The clutch hub was quiet when new, but now, with 1,200 miles on it, the clutch hub is SCARY loud. When you pull the clutch lever in, the noise disappears.

I FINALLY got a very helpful service tech at Malcolm Smith Motorsports to CONFIRM that something about the '14 clutch hubs causes them to be VERY noisy after break in. HOPEFULLY, KTM will offer / honor a fix for this, as I've   N E V E R   heard such a NOISY clutch hub KNOCK!

Other than that, the bike is THEEEEEEE BEST!

Btw, I purchased a motorcycle from a City of Orange dealer, LAST OCTOBER, because he said he would install the ' European Fueling map '.

I REALLY wanted to buy from Malcolm, but they declined to do the download. At least they were HONEST about it.

IN THE END, the (Orange) dealer / owner apparently LIED about the download.

NEXT TIME..................Go to the Malcolm Smith service department when you need some HONEST service help.

If ANYONE else has heard about these noisy hubs, possible cures, or KTM factory recalls,  I'd TRULY appreciate hearing from you.

THANKS EVERYBODY!

• Like 2

I'll call my dealer there just going to say that's the kush clutch and the way it sounds just because they don't have any idea probably

They redesigned the clutch basket and linings in 2014 according to KTM web site. My 2014 KTM 500 makes the same noise,goes away when the clutch is used.

Edited by mojave1

They redesigned the clutch basket and linings in 2014 according to KTM web site. My 2014 KTM 500 makes the same noise,goes away when the clutch is used.

Has anyone looked at the clutch basket to see if the clutch plate fingers have abnormally worn into the basket?

Noise is not just the 2014's, my 2012 makes tons of clutch noise when lever is released and has been like that since day one.  Have heard a couple 13's making the same noise, almost sounds like a piston rattle while in neutral but I have come to accept it.  Over 2,700 miles on mine and I checked the plates over the winter, everything looks perfect - the diaphram setup contributes to it but not sure there is an easy way to remedy it.

Great to be here with the Thumper Talk crowd!

I've ridden motorcycles for FIFTY years and owned 27, mostly dirt bikes.

Ridden everything from 60's era minibikes, to a Suzuki Hayabusa.

I worked on motorcycles for a living, for 10 years, and do all my own work.

This '14 KTM EXC 500 is my third big bore EXC ( '07, '09 also).

The clutch hub was quiet when new, but now, with 1,200 miles on it, the clutch hub is SCARY loud. When you pull the clutch lever in, the noise disappears.

I FINALLY got a very helpful service tech at Malcolm Smith Motorsports to CONFIRM that something about the '14 clutch hubs causes them to be VERY noisy after break in. HOPEFULLY, KTM will offer / honor a fix for this, as I've   N E V E R   heard such a NOISY clutch hub KNOCK!

Other than that, the bike is THEEEEEEE BEST!

Btw, I purchased a motorcycle from a City of Orange dealer, LAST OCTOBER, because he said he would install the ' European Fueling map '.

I REALLY wanted to buy from Malcolm, but they declined to do the download. At least they were HONEST about it.

IN THE END, the (Orange) dealer / owner apparently LIED about the download.

NEXT TIME..................Go to the Malcolm Smith service department when you need some HONEST service help.

If ANYONE else has heard about these noisy hubs, possible cures, or KTM factory recalls,  I'd TRULY appreciate hearing from you.

THANKS EVERYBODY!

From what I was told by Chaparral no dealer in California can remap these bike, It violates California EPA emissions. They said they are not even allowed to talk sprocket sizes due to it change the exhaust despicable. I don't know how true this is but even the service manager chimed in and agreed with them. 

I just fixed my 2014 noisy clutch tonight.

I pulled that POS off, and installed a Rekluse!  ?

I was expecting it to actually be LOUDER, but it's quieter!  

As a side note, I have like 1300 miles on my 2014 and I couldn't see anything abnormally wearing on the stock clutch when I removed it.  Rekluse says that you're supposed to check the rubber isolators in there, and replace them after 30 hours.  I have well over 30 hours, and they had virtually no slop that I could see.  Changing those out is somewhat of a major ordeal, since the inner clutch basket needs to come off, and you can only do that by removing the big nut...

CADman_KS

• 5 weeks later...

I have been following this thread for a few weeks, concerns about the same noise issue with my 2014 350 XCF-W? New to KTM, crossed over from Honda. I just posted a 4 out 5 star rating on TT home page for the bike. Listed the noise with clutch/transmission as my only hang up! The dealer mechanic assures me this is normal and typical of KTM as I described it to him, however I'm still not convinced! Other than that the bike has ran impressively strong and powerful for the first 450 miles. Love everything else about the bike, if this turns out to be a nonissue I'll go orange for life.

I'm thinking of having a Rekluse clutch installed as cadman did and will follow up with the results.

Thanks all this has been a helpful thread, I feel a little better!

I have been following this thread for a few weeks, concerns about the same noise issue with my 2014 350 XCF-W? New to KTM, crossed over from Honda. I just posted a 4 out 5 star rating on TT home page for the bike. Listed the noise with clutch/transmission as my only hang up! The dealer mechanic assures me this is normal and typical of KTM as I described it to him, however I'm still not convinced! Other than that the bike has ran impressively strong and powerful for the first 450 miles. Love everything else about the bike, if this turns out to be a nonissue I'll go orange for life.

I'm thinking of having a Rekluse clutch installed as cadman did and will follow up with the results.

Thanks all this has been a helpful thread, I feel a little better!

I hope that I didn't mislead you here.

I should be clear that my clutch made what I considered a lot of noise, and it bothered me too, coming from a DRZ.

I conceded, and decided that it was just the way KTM's are.

After installing the Rekluse, mine WAS quieter, but still noisier than my DRZ was, or I'm sure that your Honda was.

BTW, do you have an aluminum skid plate on your bike? If you do, take it if and ride with it off, and see how much difference it makes. Mine is probably twice as loud with the plate off. It makes that much difference.

I think that the noise is fine, and you get used to it...

CADman_KS

Edited by cadman_ks

Yeah aluminum skid plate is one of the first things I added after I got the bike. Never really got to take it out other than putt around the neighborhood before I put it on? Bought it in January and it sat in the garage waiting for a month and a half waiting for snow to melt. Was planning on installing the recluse anyway, I bought an 06' 85 SX with Rekluse for my boy and it works really well for him especially well in gnarly rocks.

Thanks cadman!

I have 500 miles on my 2 month old 500 EXC. I have never noticed any clutch noise. I put on a Rekluse at 200 miles. Best accessory ever invented for a dirt bike. All I have been riding is rocks, ruts, and slippery hard pack and I have never stalled the bike. I have a plastic skid plate and I have no idea whether that affects clutch chatter. I know that it would be insanity to ride without a skid plate on these bikes. There is no protection without one.