Sign in to follow this  

bought a 2010 honda crf450r

i just purchased a 2010 crf450r today and the suspension has been redone also the link has been changed. i have heard so many bad things about the 4 spring clutches, are they that bad? i bought a wiseco basket and clutch plates with the bike for 100 extra, can stiffer springs help the clutch or do i need to buy the 6 spring hub and pressure plate? the price is not cheap, unless does ayone know where i can get a aftermarket one that is cheaper than hinson or wiseco. also i want to put a high  compression piston and cam in this bike does anyone know what web cam works well? like the 242/921 thanks

i just purchased a 2010 crf450r today and the suspension has been redone also the link has been changed. i have heard so many bad things about the 4 spring clutches, are they that bad? i bought a wiseco basket and clutch plates with the bike for 100 extra, can stiffer springs help the clutch or do i need to buy the 6 spring hub and pressure plate? the price is not cheap, unless does ayone know where i can get a aftermarket one that is cheaper than hinson or wiseco. also i want to put a high  compression piston and cam in this bike does anyone know what web cam works well? like the 242/921 thanks

The clutch Feels horrible and stiff, and with stiffer springs its worse i ditched the hole thing for a slipper clutch i got for less than half price.

I would go with the 6 spring. and i believe framebreaker makes a retrofit kit that uses oem parts from a 08 back.

.418/.317

284°/285°

261°/249°

242/921

Race profile designed for flat track. Requires Exhaust System, High Compression Piston, Larger Diameter Followers, and Performance Valve Spring Kit. Check ALL clearances!

Regrind

N/A

Hardweld

N/A

New Cam

59-012

$352.00

thats from the web camshafts site,

if it does not have large followers and performance valve springs it might not do so well.

and since its a flat track cam it will likely be a bit soft on the bottom and a screamer up top.

also if you don't like the handling i suggest throwing the linkage in the garbage can where it belongs and buying a merge knuckle.

and you should check what rate fork springs its got. they handle like poo with anything less than HELLA STIFF fork springs IMO.

Edited by EnglertRacing

Hey mate nice buy. I have a 2010 and have not had a problem with the clutch, except when I took to much play out of the If you ride a lit of trails I can highly recommend a 17oz flywheel from trail tech. I put one of these and a 51 tooth rear sprocket on mine and it has made a difference I can not describe. I will be putting a rekluse Z start pro in next month so I will let you know how that goes. Have fun bro.

• Like 1

Hey mate nice buy. I have a 2010 and have not had a problem with the clutch, except when I took to much play out of the If you ride a lit of trails I can highly recommend a 17oz flywheel from trail tech. I put one of these and a 51 tooth rear sprocket on mine and it has made a difference I can not describe. I will be putting a rekluse Z start pro in next month so I will let you know how that goes. Have fun bro.

I have a 11oz i got used i love it. I think id like the 17 even better so i recommend it too for trail.  but i have her geared the other way >:] 14-47 >:]  i never understood why people gear them down? to go slow? i ride moto, desert and woods.... i climb walls with it

• Like 1

Good point once I put the Rekluse in I will defiantly look at that, I also like the idea of a larger front drive. One more thing adjust your sag as soon as possible. I have been on mine for over a year before I did it and the difference blew me away, just another thing I learnt from this fantastic wealth of knowledge that is this site.

• Like 1

Good point once I put the Rekluse in I will defiantly look at that, I also like the idea of a larger front drive. One more thing adjust your sag as soon as possible. I have been on mine for over a year before I did it and the difference blew me away, just another thing I learnt from this fantastic wealth of knowledge that is this site.

Let us know what you think of the pro.

i have not been able to find the frame breaker clutch retro kit

The clutch Feels horrible and stiff, and with stiffer springs its worse i ditched the hole thing for a slipper clutch i got for less than half price.

I would go with the 6 spring. and i believe framebreaker makes a retrofit kit that uses oem parts from a 08 back.

.418/.317

284°/285°

261°/249°

242/921

Race profile designed for flat track. Requires Exhaust System, High Compression Piston, Larger Diameter Followers, and Performance Valve Spring Kit. Check ALL clearances!

Regrind

N/A

Hardweld

N/A

New Cam

59-012

$352.00

thats from the web camshafts site,

if it does not have large followers and performance valve springs it might not do so well.

and since its a flat track cam it will likely be a bit soft on the bottom and a screamer up top.

also if you don't like the handling i suggest throwing the linkage in the garbage can where it belongs and buying a merge knuckle.

and you should check what rate fork springs its got. they handle like poo with anything less than HELLA STIFF fork springs IMO.

i have not been able to buy the framebreaker clutch retro kit. i have the 242/921 on my 08 bike and it is good on top. i just wasn't sure if the 2010 bike would work as well since it does not rev like the carb bikes. the bike has been resprung by factory connection and has a link on it. i am going to change the piston, cam and valve springs,and have it ported and polished. i do not think i am going to get it to run as fast as my 08 but i just want to wake it up a little. i have a MRD and billbuilt, as well as a 48mm lectron and oversize valves, ported and polished, i have three cams for it the 812+5 and a custom grind with lots of lift,

Have a 10 & was impressed with what a Yosh RS4 exhaust combined with a remap did to the motor.  It really woke it up in the entire rpm range & the exhaust feels that it allows it to breath better vs the oem.  After talking to a couple of tuners it seems Honda detuned these motors from the factory & it doesn't take much to get them to run strong.   

If it has FC suspension I'd look into getting updated valving specs since they no longer recommend a link.  Once you get the motor / suspension dialed it transforms & becomes an excellent worthy mx machine...           

Edited by H4L

i am hoping the 10 will tun as good as the 08 i got the 10 because of the 50mm throttle body, i have read a lot that the fuel injected bikes will not run with the carb bikes on top end they seem to peak at 8000 rpm and fall flat. my 08 runs good up to the limiter which is 11700 with the vortex. i have never had anyone explain why the difference on top between the 2.

In stock form the 09+ efi bikes do go flat up top & has been well documented by the mx mags.  I've had the opportunity in the past to ride an 11 that was set up with a Yosh ported head, exhaust, remap & a HC piston.   Compared to an 08 set up from a local Pro I rode the 11 felt stronger & smoother thru entire rpm range.   I'm no longer racing so for me the pipe & remap is sufficient for now & feel the porting / HC piston would be icing on the cake.   What sold me on the 09+ bikes originally was how much lighter & better they turn vs. 05-08 models.          

What sold me on the 09+ bikes originally was how much lighter & better they turn vs. 05-08 models.

Man I couldn't agree more. I have a lot of money I just put in building a 06 so I'm gonna wear that thing out first AND I really hate the air forks and duel pipes on the newer models so I'm not stressing having a new model at this point plus half the reason I ride if some the workout BUT after lugging my bike around the mountains and trails the other day I switched for a few so my buddy could feel mine and he has a 2011... wOW.. It really felt like I was on a 125 with 450 power or something. Sooo Soooo much lighter! Huge difference. By the time I finally get a new model I'll be able to just throw it around after getting used to my 06.
  • Like 1

i guess if i was in my 20's then the newer models would appeal to me, i ride with my friend and we are both older, and we dont jump or do tracks.we do however drag race each other a lot. i have a 09 kx450 and even with mods about 3rd gear it is over for that bike,the carb bikes just leave it.in the dust it just does not make any sense to me why a fuel injected bike wouldnt run up to the redline like a carb bike with the same piston porting exhaust and cam.and such, with the 14/48 gear setup we get over 100 mph on the straights