Sign in to follow this  

Hand gaurds or break away levers?

Which one should I go with?

which is better?

I ride gp mx track and scambles.

looking more for a protection against broken levers and tubes etc... I guess hand protection is nice as well though

Which one should I go with?

which is better?

I ride gp mx track and scambles.

looking more for a protection against broken levers and tubes etc... I guess hand protection is nice as well though

Hand guards have saved my levers (and fingers) multiple times, it's usually the first thing I buy when I get a bike

Hand guards have saved my levers (and fingers) multiple times, it's usually the first thing I buy when I get a bike

only issue I keep running into while looking for some is I want wrap around handgaurds for fat bars..

yellow or black or yellow black....

only ones I found are the power madd series and it comes to like 135 for them because you have to buy the mounts the plastic gaurds and the wrap arounds as well

and does any of that come with the insert for the bars?

only issue I keep running into while looking for some is I want wrap around handgaurds for fat bars..

yellow or black or yellow black....

only ones I found are the power madd series and it comes to like 135 for them because you have to buy the mounts the plastic gaurds and the wrap arounds as well

and does any of that come with the insert for the bars?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4881/i/western-power-sports-off-road-handguards

Check those out, description says they have mounts that come with it to fit 1 1/8 bars

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4881/i/western-power-sports-off-road-handguards

Check those out, description says they have mounts that come with it to fit 1 1/8 bars

yea, the bar mounts are optional for another 47 bucks.

so 47 for gaurds 47 for mounts.

just seems outrageous to me... I don't generally run gaurds so either im in shock or that's a good deal.. I don't know which one...

yea, the bar mounts are optional for another 47 bucks.

so 47 for gaurds 47 for mounts.

just seems outrageous to me... I don't generally run gaurds so either im in shock or that's a good deal.. I don't know which one...

What type of trail riding do you do? Tight singletrack or wide open trails?

What type of trail riding do you do? Tight singletrack or wide open trails?

I do some tight single track, but I ride a lot of gp " tight single track to open woods to mx track to jumping back to woods singles etc..

I do some tight single track, but I ride a lot of gp " tight single track to open woods to mx track to jumping back to woods singles etc..

I highly recommend handguards then, my moose handguards were $45 for mounting and the aluminum guards and the shield is another $25 but I didn't get the shield, the guards are enough for me. Check out rockymountainatvmc.com or motorcyclesuperstore.com

I highly recommend handguards then, my moose handguards were $45 for mounting and the aluminum guards and the shield is another $25 but I didn't get the shield, the guards are enough for me. Check out rockymountainatvmc.com or motorcyclesuperstore.com

I have the fat bars but this is kinda confusing here... which size should I pick?

what does the mini mean?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4826/i/moose-racing-aluminum-handguards

Stay away from full handguards (barkbusters) on the MX track. if you go over the bars you have the risk of VERY bad hand injuries. Of course they'll save your hands in the woods.

Most guys I know use full guards but take them off for MX. At the MX track they might run roost guards.

Breakaway levers? No. Rotating and hinged (unbreakable) YES. There's no downside to them.

• Like 1

These are good guards for the money, I have several pairs of these exact same ones.

Mini bars are specifically for mini bikes- 85's, etc. They have a more agressive bend and a longer flat which allows them to be cut down (narrowed) with still room for levers to be mounted on the flats. I run them on all my bikes, narrowed for tree clearance. They take a barkbuster with a little shorter reach to the clamps.

Stay away from full handguards (barkbusters) on the MX track. if you go over the bars you have the risk of VERY bad hand injuries. Of course they'll save your hands in the woods.

Most guys I know use full guards but take them off for MX. At the MX track they might run roost guards.

Breakaway levers? No. Rotating and hinged (unbreakable) YES. There's no downside to them.

that was part of my worry.. going over the bars and breaking wrists and what else ever decides to go down hill.

I may just go with the power madd then because on the track you can take off the extra wrap around..

although I generally stay away from trees and break more levers on the track then anything so I may just go with asv levers and bite the bullet.

then just get roost gaurds.

• Like 1

I personally can't stand hand guards. They get caught on a lot and get in the way of a lot, on and off the bike. Depending on their size and your height, they take away a small spot of vision that can mess you up more than you realize until you have them. I shattered my arm/hand because it got caught inbetween when I went over my handlebars. I've also dropped my bike on things before, had the level bend anyway, and have the stupid guard get stuck on whatever I dropped it on.

I have the ASV C5 unbreakable lever system on one bike, and the Sunline unbreakable lever system on another. The ASV system only goes backwards, but this is sufficed by a rotator clamp and keeping the clamps not so tight if it gets hit from a different direction. The Sunline system folds all directions which is awesome, but can be difficult to get back in place if you fall and get it stuffed with dirt, etc. I'm absolutely sold on the unbreakable lever systems for non-protective aspects of riding. Both companies have fantastic warantees (ASV having a 5 year warranty) for broken levers.

It really is personal preference, neither are perfect.

• Like 1

I'd go with the breakaway levers. I've heard of too many stories of people breaking hands from getting caught in them. Not fun I'm assuming...

I bought Renthal Intellilevers and they are awesome looking. They can be adjusted to how tight you want them to breakaway and look fantastic in Gun Metal Grey.

I'd go with the breakaway levers. I've heard of too many stories of people breaking hands from getting caught in them. Not fun I'm assuming...

I bought Renthal Intellilevers and they are awesome looking. They can be adjusted to how tight you want them to breakaway and look fantastic in Gun Metal Grey.

I have these too they feel great, my buddy has the arc composites and those are really nice as well.

I have these too they feel great, my buddy has the arc composites and those are really nice as well.

What perch are you mounting them on?

Anyone know why handguards cost so much?

To me they are worth the money, They cost less than broken fingers...maybe I should just stop hitting trees then? Hahaha