Sign in to follow this  

2013 KX450 forks

Any tips for disassembling the forks on the 13' KX450? I need to do the seals and I'm wondering if there is anything different (from standard twin chamber forks) about separating the upper and lower tubes. Also any info on removing/re-installing the air piston assy. would be great. There isn't too much out there yet, it seems.

Thanks!

Should all be in the manual. They are easy to take apart, no spring to compress to undo rebound adjuster, come apart like any other fork.

If you are doing inner chambers, proceed like normal, just be carefully as there are no ics springs, so the rod will not push itself out. You have to pull it out after you push it in to burp any excess oil out. Pull it out nice and slow so as to not draw any air back in.

Great thanks!

Just so I'm clear, when I reassemble the inner chamber how do I make sure the air separator piston is in the correct position? Does it locate itself? I wan't to get this all down right because I think these forks are going to need a lot more attention than my old air over spring units...