Sign in to follow this  

am I tall enough for a yz125?

I am looking for my first bike and was thinking about getting a yz125. I already have a quad and have ridden friends bikes so much im better than them on their own bike so I can ride but the biggest dirtbike ive ridden was a 125 4 stroke. My main issue is that ive heard yz125s have really tall seat heights so would I at 5'6"-5'7" and 130lbs be able to atleast tip toe on one. Im looking at a 1998 model if that helps as well.thanks

You'll be able 'tip toe' it for sure. I'm 5' 8" and I can get both balls of my feet down on one. It's still a bit too tall for you but you can fix that easy enough:

Best bet is to pick up a lowering link for it. It's about the best $100-150 you can spend as a new rider. Being able to get your feet on the ground really helps. Another thing to do is to remove the seat cover and shave the foam down. It's easy to cut an inch out and staple the cover back on again or put on a new one if it's ratty.

Being a little too tall is OK for the track but on trails you need to get feet down a lot more often and the ground tends to be less even. I have lowering links on ALL my bikes.

You should have no problem being big enough for a 125.  I would advise against lowering links because they change suspension geometry but to each their own.  Sounds like the above poster is happy with his.

Lowering links screw with your suspension and shaved seats are uncomfortable. If you're too short for a YZ (I am 5'9 but with 27 inch legs, they're a bit tall for me) it's worth your while to look at other bikes. Kawasakis and suzuki's tend to be lower and might suit you a bit better. 

I'm 5'5" and can stand on one toe with no shaved seat or two toes with a shaved seat. It honestly depends more on the length of your legs than your overall height. Either way, there have been pros shorter than us. Just shave the seat and get the suspension dialed right, it makes a huge difference.

I had heard plenty about how a lowering link messes up geometry but tried one anyway, really needed it. The reality is that the bike handles just the same if it's well sorted otherwise. 

Proper springs and sag, forks adjusted to suit in the triples and the bike is on rails just like it was before.

I tend to think that just like the Rekluse, the typical naysayer doesn't have full experience with the product.

set the sag, revalve the suspesion, shave the seat, lowering link, you can even lower the suspension. Im 5'5'' and it's tough at times but I was able to ride a yz125 and a crf250r. I'd probably shave the seat and from there keep on going if needed

Btw how old are you? You really aren't that small and if you are 14 or something and growing quickly than just deal with the bike being a little tall and you will grow into it. Once the bike is moving it doesn't really matter how tall you are unless you are riding really rough/slow terrain.