Sign in to follow this  

Cams for milder build: HC intake, E exhaust?

So despite the roller coaster my own DRZ-SM build became, the Dude has decided he wants his own SM. We may have already found a bike semi-local but I have some questions.

This one, if we do anything to it, probably won't be a big build like the last one (bored, stroked, ported, 41mm carb, WR gears, MRD pipe). I'm thinking something much milder like the PB/Q4, E or HC cams, 15/38 sprockets, maybe the 39mm FCR. After the headache of the last, we just want to ride. :thumbsup:

My question is, I've read several places where folks are mixing up the cams, putting the HC intake and E exhaust into their bikes. I can find the HC specs pretty easy, but am having a tough time finding the lift specs for the E. Is there a reason to go for the E exhaust? One thing I was told was that the HC exhaust didn't always allow hot gases to vent well, or is that another issue altogether?

Like I said this is all speculation at this point but it's something I couldn't find in a search. Is there a benefit, for a medium build, to mix-and-match the cams? Or would all E/all HC be about the same?

.E CAMS......... IN .351 lift 227 dur.... EX .366 lift 243 dur

HC stage 2.... IN .358 lift 238 dur..... EX .358 lift 238 dur

Edited by Wisconsinite762

So despite the roller coaster my own DRZ-SM build became, the Dude has decided he wants his own SM. We may have already found a bike semi-local but I have some questions.

This one, if we do anything to it, probably won't be a big build like the last one (bored, stroked, ported, 41mm carb, WR gears, MRD pipe). I'm thinking something much milder like the PB/Q4, E or HC cams, 15/38 sprockets, maybe the 39mm FCR. After the headache of the last, we just want to ride. :thumbsup:

My question is, I've read several places where folks are mixing up the cams, putting the HC intake and E exhaust into their bikes. I can find the HC specs pretty easy, but am having a tough time finding the lift specs for the E. Is there a reason to go for the E exhaust? One thing I was told was that the HC exhaust didn't always allow hot gases to vent well, or is that another issue altogether?

Like I said this is all speculation at this point but it's something I couldn't find in a search. Is there a benefit, for a medium build, to mix-and-match the cams? Or would all E/all HC be about the same?

There is no issue with hotcams exhaust cams.....We are talking only small improvement with E exhaust cam.....

• Like 1

There is no issue with hotcams exhaust cams.....We are talking only small improvement with E exhaust cam.....

Small improvements add up though.

• Like 1