Sign in to follow this  

2004 exc what is this part/speedo display doesn't work

Okay, so before I sound silly let me explain. When I recently purchased this bike, the previous owner said it once had a complete duel sport light kit. Okay that's cool. He also gave me a box of parts and this was in it. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398837490.992986.jpg

I understand that these are buttons, and the plate that goes over the top of this part is missing. I have since been out on the bike a few times and come to realize that my headlight doesn't work, display doesn't work, and nothing happens when I plug this in and start hitting buttons. I replaced the button cell battery in the display to rule that out.

Questions are:

What this part?

Why is my display and headlight not working?

Thanks guys!

Nate

That style of odo had a lot of reliability issues. If you're put a good battery in and it won't come on even when pushing the buttons on that switch (which is called a Trip Master switch), chances are it's junk. But it could be a bad switch to. The other way to get it to turn on is the front wheel rolling. But for that to work, the magnet on the rotor must be in place, the pickup sensor must not be broken and the wires coming up to the odo from the sensor must be working. Best way to test it is put an ohm meter across the wires at the odo plug in. Then line the sensor up with the magnet. If the resistance goes to zero, it's working. And if it's working and the odo is not coming on, it's likely a lost cause.

Headlight not working can be any number of things. Measure the AC voltage at the yellow wire on your head light switch. Ground is brown, or any bare spot on the frame/motor. With the bike started and the switch on, you should see 12-14 volts AC. If you do, ohm out the bulb to make sure it's good.

• Like 1

That style of odo had a lot of reliability issues. If you're put a good battery in and it won't come on even when pushing the buttons on that switch (which is called a Trip Master switch), chances are it's junk. But it could be a bad switch to. The other way to get it to turn on is the front wheel rolling. But for that to work, the magnet on the rotor must be in place, the pickup sensor must not be broken and the wires coming up to the odo from the sensor must be working. Best way to test it is put an ohm meter across the wires at the odo plug in. Then line the sensor up with the magnet. If the resistance goes to zero, it's working. And if it's working and the odo is not coming on, it's likely a lost cause.

Headlight not working can be any number of things. Measure the AC voltage at the yellow wire on your head light switch. Ground is brown, or any bare spot on the frame/motor. With the bike started and the switch on, you should see 12-14 volts AC. If you do, ohm out the bulb to make sure it's good.

Thanks for the help Jeb! I'll do a couple tests. If the odo is toast, do you know if the narrower newer year odo is plug and play? If so, I would much rather just grab one of those so I can use my Cycra hand guard mount. Edited by nateflite

What year did they change the computer? I'm missin mine.

Edited by KTM370

Thanks for the help Jeb! I'll do a couple tests. If the odo is toast, do you know if the narrower newer year odo is plug and play? If so, I would much rather just grab one of those so I can use my Cycra hand guard mount.

Yes, the newer style odo will work. But it probably will not be plug and play. I believe the connectors all changed for the new style ones, so you'd at least have to get a new sensor and cable. The new style ones have buttons right on the unit, so you don't need the remote trip master switch, but it is nice to have. The one you have likely won't plug into it, though. You'd also need the mount to secure it to the triple clamps.

Another option is Trail Tech. Their odo's have a lot of functions the KTM ones don't.

What year did they change the computer? I'm missin mine.

05 was the first year for the "football" shaped one.

05 was the first year for the "football" shaped one.

Thanks, and those are supposed to be more reliable?

Edited by KTM370

Yes, the newer style odo will work. But it probably will not be plug and play. I believe the connectors all changed for the new style ones, so you'd at least have to get a new sensor and cable. The new style ones have buttons right on the unit, so you don't need the remote trip master switch, but it is nice to have. The one you have likely won't plug into it, though. You'd also need the mount to secure it to the triple clamps.

Another option is Trail Tech. Their odo's have a lot of functions the KTM ones don't.

Sounds good man. I'll figure out if my display works, if not I'll look into either the trail tech or the oem ktm unit. Had a trail tech on my sumo and it worked great but I ended up having problems with it. The Katoom will eventually receive a duel sport kit and plate, so I am factoring in that. Thank you for your help!

Thanks, and those are supposed to be more reliable?

Yes, they are much more reliable, especially compared to the 03 version. The problem is the cost. Even used, they fetch a lot of money. And IMO, they're not worth the asking price, compared to what you can get from TT for the same or, more likely, less money.

Sounds good man. I'll figure out if my display works, if not I'll look into either the trail tech or the oem ktm unit. Had a trail tech on my sumo and it worked great but I ended up having problems with it. The Katoom will eventually receive a duel sport kit and plate, so I am factoring in that. Thank you for your help!

Glad to help. But something to note on the TT stuff, they will usually replace it or try to make it right somehow, even long after the unit has been in use. So give them a shout if you have any problems with their stuff. Their customer service is really good.