Sign in to follow this  

Indiana New with ?'s

Alright, lets get this started-

-30 years old

-live in NW Indiana

-Married, 1 kid (He will be 2 in June)

With that being said, I am looking at getting back into this hobby/sport. In the next couple years this will turn into a father/son hobby/sport type of thing I'm sure, so why not get a head start.

Anyway, back to myself. I had friends growing up who had land and we or their parents put up little tracks for us to rip around with jumps and stuff but nothing ever incredible. My parents built a house in a partially developed subdivision when I was 8 and on the land behind our house was a mx practice track that some man built for his son who raced, I can't remember his last name, it was a phenomenal track at one point but he kind of let it go to shit after the homeowners assoc shut it down due to noise. But, people would sneak onto it, especially during the day when the guy was gone, so it never went away, just wasn't groomed. So from 8-15 I messed around on that practice track, did woods riding, some trails, cornfields, badlands, private "tracks" but never went to anything other than that. Seems like we had so few places to ride but there wasn't a weekend we weren't on our bikes.

So, I'd like to jump back into it. Only this time, I dont have the buddies who have parents that will make us little tracks, that practice track behind my parents is pretty much washed away, those cornfields well at 30 years old I don't think the farmer will be so understanding. That leaves me stranded, I want to do more than trail ride such as participate in open/practice mx but, I'm not sure where to do it. I mean, it looks like there are places around me such as leisure time, motoland, fmx, badlands,g&s, etc. But what places are the friendliest towards new riders? Am I going to be a huge inconvenience if I get out on the track and not trying to clear everything or riding like a mad man? No, I dont plan on buying the bike and taking it straight to the track. I'm going to get some seat time on it again, I've got 5 acres in one area, about 10 in another to "play" on. I just can't build anything.

That brings out another dilemma. The last bike I had seat time on was a cr125 (rm50, xr100,rm80,cr125) last bike I rode (other than r6) was a cr250. I know that at this point a 250 2t will be too much bike for me. So, I believe I am going to start with a 250 4t, I am 5'9'' and 165 pounds. If I go used I will be looking at the Kawi and Honda, Hondas seem to be had for cheap and the Kawi I have just always liked. If I go new I will be going after the yz250f or kx250f, that all new 14' yz is damn sweet and the deals on the Kawi can't be beat (about $1k less than yami). After discussing it with my wife, she believes I should purchase a used bike in the $3-4k range and not a new bike. I would rather buy a new bike and not someone elses headaches.

Cliffs;

-30, married,1 kid

-new but not "new" BUT might as well be.

-want mx; where? new guy friendly?

-new or used bike? kawi/honda (used) or kawi/yami (new)? 

-anyone near me?

-wasting my time?

Welcome Rex,

I think you'll find that any of the larger multi-purpose off-road parks are super friendly for all riders. I haven't run into any jerks at these places.

I live in the southwest suburbs of Chicago and am not really into the SX only track thing too much, so I cannot comment on those types of places. I can tell you that the track at the Badlands is really fun, and I've only ridden on it when the conditions were deplorably muddy. If you went down there on a week day, you'd have lots of time on that track by yourself. I've been trying to find some time to get down there myself this spring.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

I was thinking that if any place was open during the week that might be better until I get a few hours on the seat. Fortunately I work a work schedule that affords me to work 4 days, off 4 days, work 4 days, off 5 days and it rotates so days off are during the week at times. Like I said, I've got places to "ride" kind of but I can't put anything on the land.

I'm not opposed to trail riding and exploring but I feel as if the mx bike would best suit for what I intend on doing with it.

anyone else? any "noob" friendly tracks? Hell, "noob" friendly people? Thanks.

Edited by rexisme

FMX paradise has two tracks, one more for beginners and one not. So that might be a good place.  Liesure time is open most days I believe and not many people will be out there during the week so you won't be in peoples way. It being all sand too, doesn't really need prepped as much so its good during the week.

If you are on a track with alot of other faster people, just be predictable. No swerving "out of the way" last minute.

I think a 250f would be a good bike. You will be surprised how easy they are to ride. Just be careful buying a used 4-stroke. OR there is no shame in adults ripping it up on 125s and you're not that big.

You could also try Haspin Acres they have a couple of tracks that you could try.

It's in Laurel, In. don't know how close that is to you.It has a variety of riding

but it also has a lot of jeeps and buggy's as well.On a week day you wouldn't have

a lot of crazies but on weekends a whole different story.

Appreciate the info so far guys.. keep it coming.. Looking forward to hearing anything about well, anywhere, honestly...

On a side note, spent the days off checking out local dealers. Sitting on bikes, checking out their soft goods, doing a little talking as far as seeing what brands have what to offer... Not only that, aside from shopping for a bike, I was shopping for a dealer. Before I spend thousands at a business, I want to make sure they're worth my thousands.

After a day of sitting on all the bikes, NO RIDING, and checking out the dealers. I must say, I am pretty dead set on the Honda crf250r. Which sucks because they're not giving the greatest deals right now. But it is what it is and thats the bike I felt the most comfortable on just sitting, etc. The honda dealers also sold themselves to me, much more approachable, honest feeling, great parts/service dept, unlike the big "walmart" feeling powersports store. I'm still interested in the kawi and the honda dealer does sell them, there wasn't anything good nor bad I could say about it after sitting on it.

Edited by rexisme